1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

question..need sub help please....

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by thebaker, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Nov 27, 2011 at 12:15 AM
    thebaker

thebaker [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Byron
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Upgraded to a 3rd gen
    Never ending......$$$
    I just received my image dynamic id10 d2v3 sub in the mail. After i took it out of the box i noticed that that plastic cover on the back of the sub was loose and then fell off. The plastic covers up the magnet but seems to serve no real purpose other than to streamline the look of the sub. Even the hex screws on the plastic cover are FAKE and just for looks. I can see where the cover came "unglued/broke off".

My question is would this affect the performance of the sub at all? It's going to be in a enclosure anyways so if its going to perform fine then i won;t worry about it.

This is the plastic cover on back that i am taling about. see the Fake hex screws. Without the cover you can see the magnet.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for all your help in advance.

2. Nov 27, 2011 at 1:11 AM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    I wouldn't think so but I'd also get in contact with the people you bought it from and get a return/replacement just to be safe.

3. Nov 27, 2011 at 2:53 AM
    Warputer

Warputer Dirt Road Inspector

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Lake Murray, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road
    9" of Super Bro lift
    I've had a few subs over the years & never saw a cover over the magnet.....I have seen a few 3-way 6x9's with covers on the back ......I wouldn't see a purpose for it.

4. Nov 27, 2011 at 6:48 PM
    XJBaylor

XJBaylor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Plano, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
    King coilovers with remote reservoirs, Deaver 12 leaf pack with 5100's, TRD exhaust, Kenwood 6160, Anthracite Sport Wheels
    The only thing I would worry about is potential resale value.

5. Nov 27, 2011 at 6:50 PM
    dubbedSinner

dubbedSinner blisters

Member:
    Lowered 3/4, debadged, led tails, projector headlights with hids, billet grill, blacked out windows, painted front and rear bumper and grill shell. Inside, 4 crappy 15's, suede wrapped headliner and door panel inserts, alpine double din, few painted pieces inside, and every led is either blue or white.
    It wont hurt it at all not having that plastic cover on there. You are right, it is all for looks (mainly by the manufactures to cover up the tiny magnets). If you want it to look good again go ahead and send it back.

6. Nov 27, 2011 at 6:55 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    I had a Punch sub one time that had a cover over the magnet that had metal in it that it attached by. It was optional to leave it on or not. I couldn't tell a difference with or w/o it. I think the instruction book said it helped improved perfomance but wasn't necessary. Maybe this is the same design/idea?

7. Nov 27, 2011 at 7:06 PM
    dayNnite4

dayNnite4 We can't stop here, this is bat country.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 5-speed AC
    prob just for looks or to keep the magnet from attracting ferrous things

8. Nov 28, 2011 at 1:10 PM
    lbridges

lbridges Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Indialantic, FL
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner SR5
    This was a good question. There are some woofers that use what's called a "bucking" magnet to help with magnetic shielding (home theater stuff primarily). It has been my experience that the build house will use a cover to hide the "normal" magnet and the bucking magnet.

However, that's not the case for this woofer, so feel free to toss it (the cover, not the woofer) in the bin.

9. Nov 28, 2011 at 3:17 PM
    Jpf8653

Jpf8653 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Baton Rouge,LA
    Revtek 3" lift, Tinted Windows Wheels n' Tires Door Sill Protectors Rockford fosgate P3 shallow w/ alpine mono 500 amp in a MR MARV PORTED box Weathertech floor liner Rear TSB Pioneer 3200BT Double Din touch screen
    Its for looks. It can also be for protection on some subs when reverse mounted. Again looks alone.

Products Discussed in

To Top