1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Double Din dash kit

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Rellik01, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Nov 30, 2011 at 2:38 AM
    Rellik01

Rellik01 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Windermere, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 White
    Bull Guard powder coated white, chrome aftermarket tail lights,Led interior lights, Factory roof rack, Bug deflector, Factory tow package, Garmin GPS, Viper 5901 alarm with auto start, Weather tech window wind deflectors, , 3" Tube steps powder coated white, CB Radio, Radio Scanner.
    Who makes the best dash kit for a double din headunit for 2011 Tacoma. I'm talking about Color match, Texture and etc....
    Thanks in advance.

P.S. I have a Scoshe and don't like the non textured version.

2. Nov 30, 2011 at 2:46 AM
    Dirty5Thirty

Dirty5Thirty TW's BAD MF'er Squad

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Auburn, CA
    Vehicle:
    2003 4Runner SR5
    Dog hair
    Check out Metra. They have one that is textured.

They are cheap and have a decent fit, so you shouldn't be able to go wrong there

3. Nov 30, 2011 at 11:17 AM
    TurboGT

TurboGT Stirring the pot since...

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno DC LB 4x4
    None yet, starting over!! OME lift w/ Dakars & 885's Remote Start w/ window control
    I've got a Silver Metra kit.... personally I think it's horrible. The silver bezel is a seperate entity from what actually holds the radio in place, and the radio mount piece doesn't line up with the opening of the bezel - it can be pushed over to the side while the bezel goes on, but one bump in the road later the mount piece has shifted back to not lining up. In addition, I couldn't find a way to iso-mount the radio into the mount (my preferred method), so I had to cage mount it, and in doing so left the radio to wobbling. Thankfully, my radio doesn't have a CD player in it (media player only - which I love), but it still required me to fab up a quick backstrap to prevent said wobbling.

So my Metra kit (would have) wobbled up and down, moves side to side, doesn't match the lines of the dash (sticks up above where the stock radio it), and the paint (in the case of the silver) rubs off with my finger. All that at a savings of roughly $10 compared to the Scosche kit.

On different note, yet another thread that could have easily been avoided by a simple search:

Go to A&V subforum, click "Search this forum" and "Advanced Search". Use keywords "Dash Kit" and underneath, select "Search Titles Only" instead of the default search entire posts. Click Search Now at the bottom and get:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/search.php?searchid=4212715

You get 44 threads with the words "dash kit" in the title. Just my helpful contribution.

Incoming :crapstorm: I'm sure

4. Nov 30, 2011 at 11:28 AM
    MyYota05

MyYota05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Muskogee, Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Prerunner w/ TRD Offroad Pkg.
    3'' Lift Kit, Bed Rug Liner, Black Rims
    Check out www.*********.com they have some great dash kits that have the texture and have them at a great price.

5. Nov 30, 2011 at 11:32 AM
    hookedontronics

hookedontronics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc
    they are both hit or miss. I've had and installed both with zero isses but i've heard people complaining of both at the same time.

It comes down to wether you want the textured finish like your stock radio or if you want a smooth finish. Both kits in both colors can be had on ebay for about 15-20 bucks shipped

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Nov 30, 2011 at 12:39 PM
    TurboGT

TurboGT Stirring the pot since...

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno DC LB 4x4
    None yet, starting over!! OME lift w/ Dakars & 885's Remote Start w/ window control
    This I will agree with.... I fully plan on getting a scosche kit here one day soon and redo the install.... which ever kit comes out looking and functioning the worst will end up in the trash, though I seriously hope it's not the scosche kit.

Products Discussed in

To Top