1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sirius sounds terrible!

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by CharlieX, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Nov 17, 2008 at 10:52 AM
    CharlieX

CharlieX [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hey all - been off the boards for awhile but finally got time to tinker with my Tacoma.

Put in the Metra ipod adapter this weekend. took all of 4 minutes to install - 20 to figure out what to do with the cable.

I had a Sirius InV2 that wasn't being used, so I hooked it up and ran the audio line out into the Metra. Sounds TERRIBLE! Like 64kps Mp3's. Plus the audio level is about 25% lower than FM/CD. I plugged my iPod into the headphone jack and it sounds great - so I know my Metra install is clean and correct.

So is this just how Sirius sounds? I've got the micro dot antennae on the roof, 3 inches of metal all around as suggested. Signal levels are good. It does take about 30 seconds from when I turn the car on to "get signal"

As far as the audio level, I made sure the "audio level" on the Inv2 is cranked to max. I wonder if one of the higher end Sirius units has more outputs? Or should I get a pre-amp for the headphone line?

thanks for any clues!

2. Nov 17, 2008 at 11:41 AM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    I had Sirius for a year... Took it out after the year - because I never used it. MAYBE once I get the Pioneer DNX5120 or something - where it is hardwired - it'll be better and I might consider it again... But you're right - volume sucked and so did reception. Plus, me living near large cities with lots of FM radio stations - did not leave me much option for free FM channels for the signal transmission... especially as I drove into work.

Will never have it again - until it's hardwired in.

My fiancee has XM and it rocks... but her's is integrated into stereo.

3. Nov 17, 2008 at 12:40 PM
    atsaubrey

atsaubrey Dealer/Sales Rep for Sundown Audio.

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    blue 2007 double cab
    Sundown Audio 100.4 and 1500D, Pioneer 880PRS, Zapco Refernece 6.5" comps, 2 10" Image Dynamics IDQ, 200ft of Second Skin deadener, Kicker wire
    Keep in mind most of the music on Sirius or XM are compressed heavily and I wouldn't be surprised if most are in the 64kps range.

4. Nov 17, 2008 at 12:44 PM
    CharlieX

Member:
    thanks guys, looking around the internet it seems that both XM and Sirius are *heavily* compressed signals. It's too bad - in live in LA and most FM stations sound way better than satellite.

the only saving grace of Sirius is the amount of content. Now I just need to find a way to boost that headphone/line in signal so I don't need to have my Tacoma cranked to 50+ all the time

5. Nov 17, 2008 at 12:59 PM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    Yea - try calling them and get them to send you a free installation voucher and a unit that allows for hardwiring... They tried to do that for me to save me as a customer... Just call and complain and see what it does for you... Just my $.02.

6. Nov 17, 2008 at 1:30 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    does the radio have an output level that can be adjusted? on my XM radio reciever i have an output level that i could use to adjust the audio to the deck. mine turned up to the highest level put me just a hair quieter than the regular radio or a CD

7. Nov 17, 2008 at 1:34 PM
    CharlieX

Member:

It does have an Audio Volume setting - I've got it cranked. This is their cheapest unit, I wonder if a nicer one might have a little more juice? But if your's is XM, could be their hardware is just louder versus Sirius.

Products Discussed in

To Top