Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

easy 2009 xm install

Old 11-20-2008, 09:22 AM   #1
Raylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to behold

Navy: USN, nuclear submarines
Raylo's Tacoma Gallery
easy 2009 xm install

I just went down and installed my Xpress RC in the 09 Tacoma. I haven't decided whether I like any of the aftermarket brackets that require minor disassembly of the panel, mostly due to the location they put the radio in.... too far to the right. So I came up with a quick alternative.

First, I ordered an Arkon cup holder mount and the SAF12M factory sat antenna adaptor from TSS radio. Then I got a plastic bicycle water bottle and cut off the top tapered half leaving a piece with a uniform circular section. Then I filled it halfway with some heavy hardware to give it some heft and popped the cup holder mount in the top and tightened it. Then I took off the kick panel and plugged in the sat antenna lead to the factory location.

Then I put a huggie on the bottle bottom and popped it into the left front cupholder where it sits very securely. Attached the cradle to the mount and then plugged the power adapter into the cig lighter and connected an audio patch cable from the cradle to the factory AUX input and the other end of the sat antenna cable to the cradle and ...... done. No disassembly except for the kick panel and no wiring. It was all plug and play. The radio sits just below the climate control fan switch in easy finger reach. Also easy to putt the radio off the cradle to use in my other car and inside the house.

Maybe do a bracket in the future if I find one I like but this'll do for now.
Attached Thumbnails
easy 2009 xm install-img_0246.jpg  
Old 11-20-2008, 09:45 AM   #2
tdm156 is a jewel in the roughtdm156 is a jewel in the roughtdm156 is a jewel in the roughtdm156 is a jewel in the rough

tdm156's Tacoma Gallery
I just got the same one this week from Crutchfield. So far it works great. I have it mounted down behind the cup holders and used the velcro I had for my scan gauge down there. Now I think I will be moving the scan gauge to the steering column but not sure yet.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:55 AM   #3
Raylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to behold

Raylo's Tacoma Gallery
Yes it works OK, except for slightly low volume going through the AUX input.

And another issue.... I was planning to do an easy upgrade of my Camaro's old SkyFi w/wired FM modulator setup to use the new Xpress, too. I got a sceond car kit thinking I would just have to swap the cradle. But NOOOOOOO! The power connector and antenna connectors are different on the Xpress cradle. And the voltage coming out of the wired SkyFi FM Modulator is 7 volts, not 5. So bottom line is I need to take everything apart and install a new FM modulator and antenna that are compatible with the Xpress. Gack.... Or just pay for the second radio and keep it SkyFi. But that defeats the purpose.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:06 PM   #4
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
I like RAM Mounts. Your setup reminds me of their cupholder mount:
Old 11-22-2008, 07:44 PM   #5
fendertweed will become famous soon enough
fendertweed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raylo View Post
I just went down and installed my Xpress RC in the 09 Tacoma. I haven't decided whether I like any of the aftermarket brackets that require minor disassembly of the panel, mostly due to the location they put the radio in.... too far to the right. So I came up with a quick alternative.

First, I ordered an Arkon cup holder mount and the SAF12M factory sat antenna adaptor from TSS radio. Then I got a plastic bicycle water bottle and cut off the top tapered half leaving a piece with a uniform circular section. Then I filled it halfway with some heavy hardware to give it some heft and popped the cup holder mount in the top and tightened it. Then I took off the kick panel and plugged in the sat antenna lead to the factory location.

Then I put a huggie on the bottle bottom and popped it into the left front cupholder where it sits very securely. Attached the cradle to the mount and then plugged the power adapter into the cig lighter and connected an audio patch cable from the cradle to the factory AUX input and the other end of the sat antenna cable to the cradle and ...... done. No disassembly except for the kick panel and no wiring. It was all plug and play. The radio sits just below the climate control fan switch in easy finger reach. Also easy to putt the radio off the cradle to use in my other car and inside the house.

Maybe do a bracket in the future if I find one I like but this'll do for now.

where exactly is the factory tie in for the sat antenna lead? And do you know what years that started? I have an '05 and one of the big stumbling blocks so far is the antenna tie-in, having trouble figuring how to route the sat antenna out to my FM antenna on the fender, would love not to have to do that.

Thanks.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:36 AM   #6

Raylo's Tacoma Gallery
Factory XM antenna connector is in a terminal block behind drivers kick panel. I believe it is new for 2009. See thread here for pics. This is for the actual XM signal reception not for sending the modulated audio signal to the truck's FM antenna. If you had an XM antenna you would see it on the roof.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=259495

If your question is how to avoid running the sure connect wire to the truck's antenna I recommend getting a direct connect wired FM modulator or one of the add on aux port devices. Gotta pull the radio for these, though.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:01 AM   #7
fendertweed will become famous soon enough
fendertweed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Factory XM antenna connector is in a terminal block behind drivers kick panel. I believe it is new for 2009. See thread here for pics. This is for the actual XM signal reception not for sending the modulated audio signal to the truck's FM antenna. If you had an XM antenna you would see it on the roof.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=259495

If your question is how to avoid running the sure connect wire to the truck's antenna I recommend getting a direct connect wired FM modulator or one of the add on aux port devices. Gotta pull the radio for these, though.

thanks... right, that's what I did our Matrix (the aux port device, with the Xm antenna on the dash up front (That works OK)). I haven't used the Sure Connect yet in any of our 3 cars.

jc
Old 02-06-2010, 09:42 AM   #8
vehiclewrapper has a spectacular aura aboutvehiclewrapper has a spectacular aura about
Name: Vehicle Wrapper
vehiclewrapper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes it works OK, except for slightly low volume going through the AUX input.

And another issue.... I was planning to do an easy upgrade of my Camaro's old SkyFi w/wired FM modulator setup to use the new Xpress, too. I got a sceond car kit thinking I would just have to swap the cradle. But NOOOOOOO! The power connector and antenna connectors are different on the Xpress cradle. And the voltage coming out of the wired SkyFi FM Modulator is 7 volts, not 5. So bottom line is I need to take everything apart and install a new FM modulator and antenna that are compatible with the Xpress. Gack.... Or just pay for the second radio and keep it SkyFi. But that defeats the purpose.
did you ever figure out why the aux volume was low? i have the same problem and it makes no sense at all to me.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:35 PM   #10

Raylo's Tacoma Gallery
That's just the way it is with the stock radio. I totally redid my setup with an aftermarket nav head unit. I am using my Xpress with their wired FM modulator connected to the navi head unit and it rocks. If you don't want to go that route I have seen some cheap aftermarket inline amp/boosters for the aux input signal. I don't recall the names, tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vehiclewrapper View Post
did you ever figure out why the aux volume was low? i have the same problem and it makes no sense at all to me.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #11
jbuzzm is on a distinguished road
jbuzzm's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone installed a skyfi3. What bracket would work. Do the Canadian tacomas have the satellite antenna plug in? Thanks