Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

LonghornTaco's sound dampening mod

Old 11-23-2008, 12:44 AM   #1
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
LonghornTaco's sound dampening mod

Here is part one of my audio install - Sound dampening. I chose Second Skin Audio's Damplifier Pro and Luxury Liner Pro. So far, I've done the rear wall with Damplifier Pro and lined the floor with Damplifier Pro and Luxury Liner pro. The doors will be done either tomorrow or sometime this week (when I get the speakers).

Day 1:
Gutting the truck:

Rear wall done:

Day 2

After the luxury liner... I'm not sure if I used enough luxury liner, but I wasn't sure if there was anywhere else I could put it where it wouldn't interfere with putting everything back together. As it is now, the plastic covers for the rear front seat brackets no longer "click" into place. And I had to modify my weathertech rear liner to compensate for the seat track coming back.

But, I could tell, when I was putting the truck back together, that it's much more "dead" sounding in the cab. And that was with the doors wide open. So, I have hope for it's outcome.

This really isn't hard, it's just tedious and takes a LONG time. Right now, I have about 20 hours on this install and I haven't done the doors yet.

(If someone sees something I missed, let me know...)
Old 11-23-2008, 12:59 AM   #2
dtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtrujillo63 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Denny
dtrujillo63's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to dtrujillo63
Thats awesome! Your going to have a quiet cabin thats for sure!
Old 11-23-2008, 01:08 AM   #3
UnderWater Monopoly Champion
TicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicTacOma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: F-15 Crew-Chief
Name: Anastatia Beaverhausen
TicTacOma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to TicTacOma
Just a question....Can a roll on bed liner material be used in the same way? I know it makes the bed "sound" heavier and gets rid of that "tinny" feeling.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:21 AM   #7
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
you amaze me Jason....I wish I was you neighbor!

NICE WORK!!! I cant believe you tackled this project.
LOOK SO SCARY with everything taken apart!!!!!! WOW!!

I wanna be like you when i grow up..
Old 11-23-2008, 07:37 AM   #8
Dealer/Sales Rep for Sundown Audio.
atsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really nice
atsaubrey's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice work and good judgment going with the best product out there as well!
Old 11-23-2008, 10:16 AM   #9
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by neontrail View Post
you amaze me Jason....I wish I was you neighbor!

NICE WORK!!! I cant believe you tackled this project.
LOOK SO SCARY with everything taken apart!!!!!! WOW!!

I wanna be like you when i grow up..
I took apart my '92 Toyota so many times in high school (seats, dash trim) I felt comfortable with it. But this is the first time I ever took the carpet out to get down to the metal... The only thing I was worried about was getting stuff back together with an additional 1/2" of dampening material. It's been a fun project, but I hurt... My back hurts, my legs hurt, my hands ache - and I'm not done!! Still have to do the doors! I think I'm going to go tackle the outer door skin today and do the inner skin when I install the speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsaubrey View Post
Very nice work and good judgment going with the best product out there as well!
I read a lot of reviews about Dynamat, Second Skin and RAAMMat. From what I read, Dynamat is good, but expensive. You're mostly paying for the name. RAAMMat is good and inexpensive, but smelly and messy (just the review, never done it myself). But Second Skin appeared to be better quality than both. The Damplifier Pro had more mass, was easy to work with and didn't smell. Also, the Luxury Liner was more dense than the Ensolite offered by RAAMMat. And, apparently at the time of the review, the Second Skin stuff was somewhere in the middle of Dynamat and RAAMMat on the price scale. I think since then, Second Skins price has gone up and is now closer to Dynamat, but still less.

Just what I found out.

But, the Damplifier was very easy to work with! Rigid and easy to shape, But not to stiff that it's hard to position.

And this stuff is HEAVY! I bet, between the Damplifier and Luxury Liner, it's shipping weight was close to 120-130 lbs!
Old 10-03-2009, 10:22 PM   #10
Ventura_Taco is on a distinguished road

Air Force: KC-135Q Crew Chief, Okinawa, Japan '86-'90
Ventura_Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting read. I plan to use spray in Rhino Liner on mine. Worked great for sound deadening in my FJ40