Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Having trouble tuning "Little Wil"

Old 12-28-2011, 12:51 PM   #1
Come and take them.
bendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
bendbolden's Tacoma Gallery
Having trouble tuning "Little Wil"

I have the Little Wil cb antenna installed on my roof and can't get the SWR below 1.5 at channel 20. 1 and 40 are above 2. What am I doing wrong? I had a 3ft firestik mounted on my bed before this and got it way lower than that. I know different antenna's mean different readings but I thought this was supposed to be the optimal setup.

A little more info:

I cut off maybe a foot of cable that came on it and used a Radioshack connector. It is also centered perfectly left to right on the roof but farther back and not in the middle. If I put it in the middle the curve of the roof made it stick forwards like a unicorn. Help!
Old 12-28-2011, 06:31 PM   #3
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
coax cable on any mag mounted antenna is a predetermined length, and should not be cut to length. that is the problem i bet!
Old 12-28-2011, 06:36 PM   #4
Come and take them.
bendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Well it was barely any cut off. I measured it again and it was less than six inches I cut off. I had to cut it to get it through the firewall. Also I have cut some off to get it to where it is. The length is as good as it is going to get. I was just wondering if i am missing something. Maybe these mag mounts aren't the best option. It does work well enough to talk though.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:41 PM   #6
Come and take them.

Yeah that's what I am being told by others. Thanks
Old 12-28-2011, 06:42 PM   #7
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
i have had my lil will for well over ten years and no problems yet..

maybe you're getting some RF loss at the new connector, who knows. like what LUSETACO suggested..you can slide the whip up some at the base by loosen the set screw..moving up just by 1/8" can make a huge difference.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:44 PM   #8
Come and take them.

Would that improve the swr overall or just change it. I had to cut some off to get it even on both ends.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:10 PM   #10
Come and take them.

Yes trimmed it about 1/2". Got it to 1.6 on channel 20
Old 12-28-2011, 07:14 PM   #12
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
From the thread title I thought you were talking about your penis.

So, at least you're better off than I thought.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:17 PM   #13
Come and take them.

Haha thanks for all the info.