1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2009 Nav install to hook up back up camera

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by dam, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Nov 24, 2008 at 3:59 PM
    dam

dam [OP] New Member

Member:
    I have a 2009 with the factory back up camera and mirror. I want to install a pioneer Nav system that supports a backup camera input. Has anyone doen this or know how to do this? Best case would be to retain the factory mirror and the nav screen. I know the plug goes to the rear view mirror, but is there a connection in the lower cab, like a kick panel? Any help would be great.

2. Nov 24, 2008 at 5:15 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    i've got a backup camera connection on my pioneer and i'd like to know how to do it as well

3. Nov 24, 2008 at 5:30 PM
    Westdog976

Westdog976 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frankie
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    4x4 SR5 TRD Sport S/B D/C Magnetic Gray
    MX black upper and lower girlles, debadged, limo tints, TRD CAI, flowmaster dual side exit cat-back, DRL mod, 33x12.5 Toyo Open Country M/T, 18x9 XD Monsters, 6" stage II pro comp lift, smoked LED tails and third brake light, mag gray eyelids, 5901 viper remote start alarm, one touch window modules, 10,000k bixenon hid headlights, 3,000k hid fogs, 4x4 switch LED mod, RBP nerf bars, weathertech floor liners, muth signal mirrors, avid light bar, kenwood excelon dnx9140 nav
    I'm waiting on my wire harness for my nav... I am thinking about doing this too, but I don't really want to keep both the mirror and the double din monitor--that would just look cheesy. You are also going to have to hook up the discrete that lets your nav know you're in reverse (that should be included in the harness coming from your mirror). Whatever I end up doing, I'll be sure to take pictures and create a small howto.

4. Nov 25, 2008 at 11:35 AM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    pioneers have their own reverse sensor wire that gets connected to the unit

5. Nov 25, 2008 at 1:27 PM
    Westdog976

Member:
    First Name:
    Frankie
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    MX black upper and lower girlles, debadged, limo tints, TRD CAI, flowmaster dual side exit cat-back, DRL mod, 33x12.5 Toyo Open Country M/T, 18x9 XD Monsters, 6" stage II pro comp lift, smoked LED tails and third brake light, mag gray eyelids, 5901 viper remote start alarm, one touch window modules, 10,000k bixenon hid headlights, 3,000k hid fogs, 4x4 switch LED mod, RBP nerf bars, weathertech floor liners, muth signal mirrors, avid light bar, kenwood excelon dnx9140 nav
    ya so does my kenwood! so you just have to connect that wire to the one that is currently in the mirror...

6. Nov 25, 2008 at 2:30 PM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    not even that....the truck has a reverse wire in the kick panel on the drivers side. tap right onto that

7. Nov 25, 2008 at 2:40 PM
    Westdog976

Member:
    First Name:
    Frankie
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    you're joking!!! nice

8. Mar 11, 2009 at 5:42 PM
    S!LVERT4COM4

S!LVERT4COM4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    black emblems, tinted tails, fog light mod, DTRL, weathertechs, in-dash NAV, center console light, glovebox light, maglite mounts, BHLM, sockmonkey decals and bumper cover, 886 reverse lights, extra beg rings, undercover, TRD exhaust (painted black), TRD skidplate (custom paint)
    Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but does anyone have any more information on this? I just installed a Pioneer Avic F700BT Navigation head unit and would like to tie the backup camera to it. I think I understand where to find the reverse wire but don't really comprehend how to tie in the video aspect of it. The back-up camera connection on the Pioneer looks like an RCA-type plug but I don't where the connection for the camera is, what it looks like, or how to use it. Has anyone had any more luck with this, and if so, do you mind shedding some light on it for me? Thanks.

9. Mar 11, 2009 at 7:31 PM
    bass mechanic

bass mechanic Well-Known Member

Member:
    colorado springs, colorado
    Vehicle:
    2009 tacoma Access cab TRD offroad in black
    none
    i already posted how to do this in another thread it cant be more than a couple pages deep from the main audio forum

10. Mar 12, 2009 at 1:23 PM
    S!LVERT4COM4

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    black emblems, tinted tails, fog light mod, DTRL, weathertechs, in-dash NAV, center console light, glovebox light, maglite mounts, BHLM, sockmonkey decals and bumper cover, 886 reverse lights, extra beg rings, undercover, TRD exhaust (painted black), TRD skidplate (custom paint)
    Thanks for that most informative post.

I naively just looked at this page that I had bookmarked because it was precisely what I was looking for so I used that instead of doing an extensive search for an additional post covering the exact same topic. TacomaWorld is a treasure trove of information and I will hone my searching skills to take advantage of that instead of posting ignorantly in the future.

But be forewarned, while I may be reluctant to ask questions now, I am bound to, so watch out all.

11. Apr 10, 2009 at 10:29 AM
    kcossabo

kcossabo Kevin Cossaboon

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Round Hill, VA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4dr 4x4 Tacoma
    Firestone Destination A/V, Kenwood DX8120, ScanGauge, Second Back Up Camera, Aris Bull Bar, KC Driving Lights, Weston Nerf Bars, Tonneau Cover, Bed Extender, Dynamat in doors and floor, Kenwood KSC-SW10 150W Compact Powered Subwoofer, Kenwood KFC-1362 5-1/4" 3-Way Speaker (Rear), Kenwood KFC-1682ie 6-1/2"/6-3/4" 3-way Speakers (front), Heated Signal Muth Mirror System, ScanGauge II, Viper 5701 Alarm with Tilt, Proximity, 4 window remote up/down, and remote start.
    Could anyone help on where on the drivers side? I removed the kick panel and the junction boxes are there, with 100 wires?

The only manual I could find is for a 2005 Tacoma and it has definitely the wrong color codes for the 2009. The wire on the light (Drivers Side) is Green-Yellow going to a junction box and changing to Yellow.

12. Apr 10, 2009 at 11:41 AM
    S!LVERT4COM4

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    I found the most useful information in this thread:
    OEM Camera Connection below Dash

There is a picture towards the bottom that points out the "Backup Trigger Wire" which I think is what you might be looking for. I didn't need to use this location of the wire because I think it was addressed in my wiring harness, but our situations are obviously different. Good luck, I hope this helps.

13. Apr 10, 2009 at 12:04 PM
    tacomajason

tacomajason the anti mpg

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    09 ssm ac oc 6mt 4wd
    stock (for now)
    i lol'ed at this...

14. Apr 10, 2009 at 4:22 PM
    kcossabo

kcossabo Kevin Cossaboon

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Round Hill, VA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4dr 4x4 Tacoma
    Firestone Destination A/V, Kenwood DX8120, ScanGauge, Second Back Up Camera, Aris Bull Bar, KC Driving Lights, Weston Nerf Bars, Tonneau Cover, Bed Extender, Dynamat in doors and floor, Kenwood KSC-SW10 150W Compact Powered Subwoofer, Kenwood KFC-1362 5-1/4" 3-Way Speaker (Rear), Kenwood KFC-1682ie 6-1/2"/6-3/4" 3-way Speakers (front), Heated Signal Muth Mirror System, ScanGauge II, Viper 5701 Alarm with Tilt, Proximity, 4 window remote up/down, and remote start.
    Thanks, may need this.

I think I found the back up wire (not a trigger, but the light power).

It is in a junction box in the driver's side kick panel know as ID2. It is grey and 12 connections. 2 on the first row, then 2 more rows of 5.

The wire is RED, (solid no stripe).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This triggered the new Camera Control Unit, but not the Kenwood DNX8120?

If I force the 8120 to the back-up camera it is on, and goes off when not in reverse, but the 8120 does not auto switch.

I think this might be because the park break sensor is grounded?

Need to do some reading.....

johnnylikesapples likes this.
  15. Apr 12, 2009 at 4:26 AM
    S!LVERT4COM4

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    ^only after I read your post did I remember having to tap into that wire...it is a miracle that any of my stuff works. This forum is a lifesaver. Good luck.

16. Apr 12, 2009 at 8:10 AM
    kcossabo

kcossabo Kevin Cossaboon

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Round Hill, VA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4dr 4x4 Tacoma
    Found the issue. There is a setting on the Kenwood to interrupt for R-CAM or not, default is not.

johnnylikesapples likes this.
  17. Apr 13, 2009 at 11:20 AM
    white91formula

white91formula Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    05 6speed TRD OR

so that red wire is to tap into the DNX's reverse switch wire..

does the video on the mirror still work also ?

18. Apr 13, 2009 at 11:51 AM
    tacoholic

tacoholic Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Bay, CA
    This is really good to know...if there's ever a reason to swap out HU's.

19. Dec 5, 2011 at 2:28 PM
    gov875

gov875 WahooTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Pacific Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport DCLB
    Wet Okole's (front & rear), Weathertech Floormats (front & rear), cheap tailgate theft mod, extra d-rings, low profile toolbox (flat black), Thule Roof Rack (58" load bars), Thule Ski/Snowboard Roof Rack, Blacked Out Badges, Fishing Bobber Trailer Ball Cover, AVIC-X930BT w/ XM & steering controls, 5100s All Around (front set at .85), Eibach Coils, Rear TSB, rear AAL, LR UCAs, Toytec Diff. Drop, Mudflap Delete, Tailgate Reinforcement, Spidertrax (all 4), 285 Nittos, Rear Diff Breather Extension, TRD Exhaust, Powered Rear Sliding Window, DeeZee Bedmat, rear-view anytime mod, trailer bracket relocate, fog light anytime mod, redline hood struts, Satoshi with Homertaco Custom TRD Mesh, Hella 500s behind the grill, Brighter Reverse Lights
    thanks for the guidance! i'd been struggling to figure out how to tap into any spot to get this to come up without going to the mirror.

20. Jan 2, 2012 at 3:19 PM
    GeauxTigers

GeauxTigers //TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Sterlington, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '14 TRD DCSB Off-Road 4x4
    265/70/17 BFG KO2/17"x7" Pro Sema Wheels/OME 884/Bilstein 5100 front & rear/HeadStrong 1/4" TP spacer/Deaver 1.5"-2" AAL/Mud-Flap delete/Westin Bed mat/UltraGauge/ WeatherTechs/AFE Pro Dry Drop in Filter/debadged/AVS in-channel window visors/color-matched OEM grille/Kicker 6.75" Components in front door/Alpine KTP-445U power pack behind factory head unit/
    im in the process of installing a boyo backup camera and i've referred to this post for help. my wire is red with a white stripe in place of where the pic above shows a solid red wire. someone please help. this has turned into a nightmare for me. i accidently sliced completely through one of my grommets on my undercarriage as well. fml

Products Discussed in

To Top