1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Speaker recommendations for Heavy Metal?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by EquinsuOcha, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Jan 1, 2012 at 8:34 AM
    EquinsuOcha

EquinsuOcha [OP] Bourbon

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Ft Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    AFE Drop-in filter, Wet Okole seat covers, Hifonics 6.5" components in front, MA Audio midbasses in rear, Kicker 8", RE Audio 2 channel for components, Elemental Designs bridged 2-channel for sub, CB, Devil Horns, Rancho QuickLift, Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks, Toytec AAL, stickers, things and stuff.
    I've been through 2 sets of components already (both Hifonics) and the tweeters have both ended up not handling the highs too well. At certain points in the songs (guitar solos), the tweeters will crackle and sound like shit. Anybody have any good setups that'll handle super high highs?

2. Jan 1, 2012 at 8:40 AM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Make sure you've got enough amp power.

If your amp is clipping, no speaker will sound any good, and you'll blow out tweeters quickly.

3. Jan 1, 2012 at 8:41 AM
    ppham444

ppham444 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phuong
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2023 White TRD Off-Road doublecab
    Can't go wrong with Phoenix Gold!

4. Jan 1, 2012 at 8:46 AM
    EquinsuOcha

EquinsuOcha [OP] Bourbon

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Ft Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    AFE Drop-in filter, Wet Okole seat covers, Hifonics 6.5" components in front, MA Audio midbasses in rear, Kicker 8", RE Audio 2 channel for components, Elemental Designs bridged 2-channel for sub, CB, Devil Horns, Rancho QuickLift, Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks, Toytec AAL, stickers, things and stuff.
    Would that really affect only the tweeters? The mids are great, that's why I figured the tweeters were the problem.

5. Jan 1, 2012 at 8:50 AM
    TacomaG26

TacomaG26 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Goldsboro NC
    Vehicle:
    4.0v6 4x4 TRD Sport
    2.5in spacer leveling kit with Toytech AAL in the rear, Brute Force Fab front and rear bumper, AFE stage2 CAI, Alpine headunit with Rockford Fosgate amp and sub, tibted windows, KC lights.
    If you want to spend the money Alpine, JL and Rockford Fosgate are all great, i usted to run them in my Civic when i did sound comp....But like the other guys say you need to have good power running to them....Its auctually harder on speakers to under power than over power, but you also dont want your amp maxed out.

6. Jan 1, 2012 at 9:01 AM
    TacomaG26

TacomaG26 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Goldsboro NC
    Vehicle:
    4.0v6 4x4 TRD Sport
    2.5in spacer leveling kit with Toytech AAL in the rear, Brute Force Fab front and rear bumper, AFE stage2 CAI, Alpine headunit with Rockford Fosgate amp and sub, tibted windows, KC lights.
    I know this video is of rap but i listen to alot of rock and never have problems with this setup, Its Rockford Fosgate Powers in the front and Alpine Type S in the rear, The crackel you here in the video is from a crappy camera in person they sound clear and dont dimm out when bass is hitting hard. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiMCgmnMM60

7. Jan 1, 2012 at 9:04 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Years ago, and I am talking about 15 to twenty years ago when I was a car audiophile if hard rock was your thing you went with Rockford Fosgate speakers. I ran all MB Quart and they performed flawlessly but I don't know what they are like nowadays.

8. Jan 1, 2012 at 12:01 PM
    shaneckc

shaneckc Fyntünd Designs Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR Package DCLB 4x4
    http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/Doc/Hertz_HiEnergy_HSK165.pdf

installed correctly and paired with a quality amplifier, the hi energy speakers will stand up to abusive listening habits with heavy metal at high volume and reproduce the sound with excellent clarity.

i can make you a kick ass deal on them and i'll even make you some rings and throw in a little dynamat. pm me.

9. Jan 1, 2012 at 1:53 PM
    shampoop

shampoop Well-Known Member

Member:
    southwest WA
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma extracab v6 auto trd offroad 4x4
    I have these, they now make a newer similar version. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-cM68N0Lvk2R/p_108607CS/Infinity-Kappa-60-7cs.html

IMO their best feature is exactly how well they handle the highs, it's glorious. And they get REALLY REALLY LOUD! Lot's of reviews call the highs "harsh" just because they aren't used to hearing those frequencies. After getting accustomed to them, anytime you listen to anyone else's stereo, it always sounds muted and muddy, the highs are all missing.

10. Jan 2, 2012 at 9:44 AM
    06SR5canada

06SR5canada Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    06 dblcab SR5
    2ndary air filter removed, flowmaster 40
    infinity have a reputation for being harsh, I for one HATE when my ears get fatigued from harsh tweeters, if your the same stay away from metal (aluminum) tweets.

I just ordered and am patiently waiting on a set of DLS PS6 comps with the T25 tweeters (same as the RS6a's which were out of stock grr) but these are the "slim line" which got really good reviews, all saying the have a really relaxed "warm" sound to them.

http://www.woofersetc.com/p-9168-ps6-dls-reference-series-2-way-65-component-system.aspx

silk tweeters ftw

yet, people saying get these because they will sound better than these have no idea how they are going to be installed.

phoenix gold rsd's are some of the best budget comps you can buy, google some reviews you'll be surprised at what people have to say about a set of speakers under $100

sounds like a pain in the ass, but on your next set play around with the tweeter location untill you find a spot that sounds best to you, i think im going to try the sail panel.

Products Discussed in

To Top