1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Q factor?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Mtek, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Jan 1, 2012 at 10:34 PM
    Mtek

Mtek [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    TRD S/C Toytec OME 3", TRD Ivan Stewarts, 285 Yokohama
    Ok audio experts, need some info on what the Q factor does on my DD Kenwood. I can adjust it on the lower and mid freq with the audio set up menu. Does this do anything my passive crossovers all ready do? Also, what are the benefits? I can not find anything in the manual, searches have came up with info too advanced for me...I just want to know the basics.

I don't know if you need this info, but I am running Image dynamic xs69 comps up front, xs65 rear fill, and a 13tw5 sub.

2. Jan 2, 2012 at 12:15 AM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    The Q is how wide a bandwidth is affected by whatever equilizer technique you're using. Say you add EQ boost at 50hz. Well if you did just that it would only boost 50hz notes which is not what you want to do. You think 50hz needs the most help but other frequencies NEAR 50hz need a little help too. The further and further from that specified point the boost required is less.

Graphically it represents a belle curve with the frequency picked at the very top/middle of the curve. If the Q is very low it will be a very WIDE curve with lots of area under it. If the Q is high then the boost is more specific to just that frequency and the area under the curve is far far less.

3. Jan 2, 2012 at 7:08 AM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    Edited my post because posting at 2 am is never a good idea. Everything stated above should be correct.

4. Jan 2, 2012 at 8:38 AM
    lbridges

lbridges Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Indialantic, FL
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner SR5
    1st: What he said above.

If has nothing to do with the passive crossovers of your speakers.

Think of it like a really fancy bass or treble knob. "Q" is associated with what is known as a parametric equalizer. Again see above on what the Q factor does.

5. Jan 2, 2012 at 9:01 AM
    Mtek

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    Thanks a ton guys,

So, putting in very simply, when the value is higher (like set at 2.0) it effects the surrounding frequencies more than if it was set at 1.0?

6. Jan 2, 2012 at 9:27 AM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    The opposite. A high Q will affect the surrounding frequencies LESS. Think of the Q as defined as...

Definition - Q: How narrow the affected bandwidth is with regards to the changing the frequency response of the system.

7. Jan 2, 2012 at 9:30 AM
    lbridges

lbridges Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Indialantic, FL
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner SR5
    I don't know about Kenwood, but in general that is the exact opposite of what I usually see.

The easiest way is probably to go the JL Audio Tutorial Website on Parametric Equalizers and play with the controls they offer there.

Your Kenwood offers more frequencies to play with than those shown on the JL amp, but they should basically work the same, just at different places.

Next you should be thinking about what you want to boost or cut. Vocals and guitars might be best boosted with a low Q (wide effect) around 3 or 4 KHz (why I think they gave you a mid freq adjustment), while kick drums might get help with a high Q (narrow effect) around say 400 Hz.

^^^ beat me to an answer

8. Jan 2, 2012 at 9:32 AM
    Mtek

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    Ok, I think I know my issue. Understanding what the number does to the bandwidth. Narrower = a higher number then? I don't know what the numerical value does. Lower freq I can adjust from 1.0, 1.25, etc all the ay up to 2.0. Mid freq have an adjustment as well, highs non.

9. Jan 2, 2012 at 9:36 AM
    Mtek

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    Thanks. I want to boost mid bass, can't get enough of it. I like a "tight" sound you can feel. I listen to a lot of diff types of music. If I use the pre-made eq settings, I prefer "rock" and then I adjust the high freq down a bit, and even the "easy" setting with the bass adjusted to a higher boost.

I can tune the Q factor as well, but I would rather understand it than to go trial and error.

Hope that helps, thanks again fellas.

Products Discussed in

To Top