1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OT but audio related question

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by double_b, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Jan 4, 2012 at 10:02 AM
    double_b

double_b [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Red Lion, PA
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCab Tacoma TRD Off Road
    I have an audio question and wasn't sure exactly where to look for the answer but am confident some of the knowledgeable folks here can either answer or point me in the right direction(websites, etc..).

I do woodworking and I am considering building a console stereo for my house. It's just been nagging at me for awhile to build one but I want to look into what I would need in electronics and speakers to make it happen. I originally figured on something simple to plug my iphone into but realize I most likely need a receiver in it anyhow so I figure I could do more things(think wireless itunes, appleTV type stuff).

Anyhow my main question is what to look for and where to buy speakers for it. I am thinking just the "bare speakers. I don't need them in an enclosure as they would be mounted in the sections of the console that I would build. As for the receiver I have a Sony home theater receiver that I could probably use but it's bigger and a generation older and not sure I really need all of the functions. I'm still waffling on what I really want out of this.

I just think it would be cool to have a nice looking piece of furniture that has some good rich sound coming from it but is basically all new technology.

I don't need to go crazy with the sound so I'm not really looking/wanting high end speakers(the cost of the lumber(QSWO) will be a lot to begin with lol). I think with the size of the area the speakers would be in would generate decent rich sound on it's own.

I'm pretty much starting at square one here so any and all comments, suggestions and questions are much appreciated.

To give the younger folk an idea if they have no idea what a console stereo is here is one example. Just a random Google search for "console stereo"

CONSOLE STEREO

2. Jan 4, 2012 at 10:08 AM
    mattg43

mattg43 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 DC
    SwingCase, driver side. PVC Bike rack. Aftermarket stereo.
    You will have enclosures for the speakers, right?

Check out Madisound.com, or Partsexpress.com for raw drivers.

You will probably want to do a mid and a tweeter, with a crossover, but some great sound can come out of a full range driver with a good enclosure.

I would probably shoot ItalynStylion a PM. He has a company called Stereo Clarity, and he does some work with full range drivers that sound fantastic. I think he is working on some new, smaller cabinets that would work for you.

He is also working on an all-in-one receiver/computer/media server and may be able to give you an idea, but a decent receiver may be a cheaper route.

also, hit up DIYAUDIO.COM for some help as well.

Good luck!

Products Discussed in

To Top