Notices

1998 Tacoma Factory Radio Replacement

Old 01-19-2012, 05:52 AM   #1
98yoter is on a distinguished road
Marines: Sergeant 1 MAW
Name: Ash
98yoter's Tacoma Gallery
1998 Tacoma Factory Radio Replacement

I just purchased a new HU for my 1998 Tacoma and have no idea where to begin on how to install it. I did lots of research but I couldn't find much. Since I am fairly new to installing audio, pics would be awesome... Also I have had bad experiences with dash panels cracking and breaking in the past so an exact way to do everything would be nice. Any advice is much appreciated.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #2
98yoter's Tacoma Gallery
nobody knows anything about 1998 stereo replacement?

I have managed to get the dash apart and hook up all the wires. Then I did a test by turning the truck on and it works great, but now I am stuck I am having trouble getting the scoche mounting kit that I bought (yes its the correct one) to mount up to the new HU. I removed the locking mechanism sleeve from the new HU like the directions said in order to mount the factory metal pieces on, and the holes on the HU that line up with the Scoche mounting bracket are too small for the screws to go back in(factory screws are too big). I even tried the ones that they sent in the package of the mounting kit but they are to small. Something isnt adding up and I dont know what to do.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:31 PM   #3
Norton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 17D4B w/ assignments in AFCC, AFSC, AFMC, AFSPC, AFRC, USAWC, NORAD-USNORTHCOM, USAFA, SAF
Name: Steve
Norton's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not sure how much it will help at this point in your install, but I've attached a copy of the Crutchfield Master Sheet that came with my stereo for your review. (According to Crutchfield, it's applicable to your model year as well.)

I have no idea about your screw size mismatch. My stereo included all the hardware (screws) required to install it using OEM brackets.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Crutchfield Master Sheet.pdf (401.6 KB, 556 views)
Old 01-20-2012, 10:12 AM   #4
98yoter's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton View Post
I'm not sure how much it will help at this point in your install, but I've attached a copy of the Crutchfield Master Sheet that came with my stereo for your review. (According to Crutchfield, it's applicable to your model year as well.)

I have no idea about your screw size mismatch. My stereo included all the hardware (screws) required to install it using OEM brackets.
Thanks a lot I ended up finding the screws about 20 minutes after I posted that. However your manual showed it a lot more clear and I really do appreciate it. I ended up not using all the parts that it asked for in the mounting kit because it would have been impossible to mount with the extras. Everything is all put back together and works great.