1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2 ohm on oem radio?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Earthy, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Jan 24, 2012 at 4:07 AM
    Earthy

Earthy [OP] Member

Member:
    Arkansaw
    Vehicle:
    07' 5 lug
    I recently ordered some 6x9 speakers and didn't pay attention to the fact that they are 2 ohms. Will these work with the factory single cd radio? Will I have to do any special wiring? Oh, and no amp but I am considering one but not crazy about it.

2. Jan 29, 2012 at 9:38 AM
    lbridges

lbridges Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Indialantic, FL
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner SR5
    They will work to some uncertain extent. When you crank up the volume they will try to pull more current through the unit than it was designed to support. This will cause more heat in the output transistor section and shorten the life of the unit. Can't say how much shorter - from a few seconds of life left, to the same time as the stock speakers -- if you don't play it loud enough to draw more current than you did with the old speakers (the latter is not likely since I assume you upgraded to hear them).

If you didn't understand my rambling above, the short answer is: YES, but the factory player will die sooner than it would have with 4-Ohm speakers. Can't say how much sooner.

3. Jan 29, 2012 at 7:02 PM
    Earthy

Earthy [OP] Member

Member:
    Arkansaw
    Vehicle:
    07' 5 lug
    Thanks for the reply. Update: After thinking on this I figured I didn't have much to lose since I have been considering upgrading anyway. So I went ahead and installed them. They sound good and so far no probs. We'll see:cool: Only reason I decided not to upgrade the HU is because the stock one seems much easier to use and the aftermarkets don't look that good to me.

4. Jan 29, 2012 at 7:07 PM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    What he said is probably true but in my old S10 I put in 2 Kicker DS65's which are 4 ohm and were replacing 16 ohm speakers and they worked fine for about 6 months, so I wouldn't worry to much about it.

5. Jan 31, 2012 at 3:43 AM
    Earthy

Earthy [OP] Member

Member:
    Arkansaw
    Vehicle:
    07' 5 lug
    So did the head unit give up after 6 mos or did you sell the truck?

Products Discussed in

To Top