1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question about stealthbox for 06 doublecab

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by beauxxbennett, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Jan 24, 2012 at 6:00 AM
    beauxxbennett

beauxxbennett [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Currituck
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma
    Aries bull bar, PA system, aftermarket head unit, and JL stealthbox.
    I just ordered one and it hasnt come in yet. It's killin me to hear it but I was wondering if anyone else who has one can tell me about the quality of it a little bit.

2. Jan 24, 2012 at 6:19 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Search a bit, a few threads around here. I haven't heard anything but good things on the Stealthbox. Only negative seems to be the price.

3. Jan 24, 2012 at 6:23 AM
    beauxxbennett

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Currituck
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma
    Yeah I've looked a lot on here (shows what I'm doing in class) and haven't seen many threads if any that I can remember. I looked a lot before posting just to make sure. But I appreciate the input!

4. Jan 24, 2012 at 11:31 AM
    06SR5canada

06SR5canada Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    06 dblcab SR5
    2ndary air filter removed, flowmaster 40
    Probably sounds like 200 dollar setup that costs 3x as much? Just a guess :p

5. Jan 24, 2012 at 11:55 AM
    hookedontronics

hookedontronics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc
    the jl stealthbox? i have one and i think it's great. sounds great, looks clean. i love mine

6. Jan 24, 2012 at 4:41 PM
    beauxxbennett

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Currituck
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma
    good. and 06sr5 theyre expensive bc jl has the rights to it bc i havent seen any others from any other brand. i got mine for less than half price

7. Jan 24, 2012 at 6:41 PM
    SoCalTacos

SoCalTacos Turd runner

Member:
    socal
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner TRD Pro
    Led head/dtr lights.
    I just ordered one as well with focal 6.5 front and back and arc audio amp...should be a nice setup if I do say so myself.
    Oh and OP...everybody (stereo installers) I've talked to swear by the stealthboxes no matter what car they're for. I trust em.

8. Jan 24, 2012 at 8:32 PM
    beauxxbennett

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Currituck
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma
    I can't wait to hook mine up. It's gonna be sick.

9. Jan 25, 2012 at 6:38 AM
    XJBaylor

XJBaylor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Plano, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
    King coilovers with remote reservoirs, Deaver 12 leaf pack with 5100's, TRD exhaust, Kenwood 6160, Anthracite Sport Wheels
    That is not why it is expensive, anyone could build a box that is designed to fit in the truck like the JL box. Simply put, other companies choose not to do so. That isn't good or bad, it just is. JL has taken the time, and spent the R&D dollars to create, and then produce, boxes that are designed for specific vehicles. Because they are not simple MDF boxes, they also had to create molds for a production line somewhere (just a guess) and eat the start-up costs on that process as well.

Because of these reasons, JL can charge more for their product. The barriers to entry in that particular market are much higher than those in the prefab MDF enclosure market. Not many companies have the time, money or inclination to take that kind of risk in, what is by all accounts, a shrinking market (aftermarket car audio.)

To be clear, JL is also charging a lot for their name, JL products have possibly the highest markup in the 12v world.

But the stealthbox line really doesn't have any serious competitors, and probably never will. The Tacoma box, unlike many of their other Stealthbox products, can be replaced by an MDF cabinet without too much effort, though it does benefit from a reduced back wall thickness.

In the end, for the Tacoma the JL Stealthbox is a very very nice enclosure loaded with two medicore subs, at a very high price. Again, considering that there is no competing product, the price is actually pretty reasonable. It looks great installed, maintains complete functionality of the seats, has a factory quality appearance, and sounds (by all accounts) very good.

I would argue that the same amount of money spent with Mr. Marv, combined with the ability to finish the box yourself could result in a better system, but for what it is the JL Stealthbox is a great product.

Products Discussed in

To Top