Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

calling all audio gurus....opinions please

Old 01-26-2012, 12:26 AM   #1
Penis Bird
SoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SoCalTacos's Tacoma Gallery
calling all audio gurus....opinions please

So I want to upgrade my stereo but want to keep stock hu...I was told by simply adding a six channel audio control(LC61), I can achieve good stereo quality. I will be running some decent equipment and am wondering if I should upgrade hu or just go this route.
List of equipment:
JL audio stealthbox..you're familiar with, I'm sure.
Focal PS165 components front
Focal PC165 coax rear
Arc audio XDI805 5 channel for everything.
LC61 audio control.
I have a tendency to trust this shop as they win competitions all over and do very quality installs. However, other installers I've talked to say I absolutely need to change the hu for better sound quality. Again, I love the stock hu and would rather keep it. I'm not going cheap, I don't think, with the equipment and just want to get my moneys worth.
Thanks in advance for all your input!
Old 01-26-2012, 01:05 AM   #2
commando is on a distinguished road

Name: Brandon
commando's Tacoma Gallery
It is true that a new head unit will provide better sound quality.

Will your ears be able to recognize the difference?... I doubt it.

Just the fact that you are upgrading to Focals and a better amp is going to be a night and day difference, and it is going sound much, much, MUCH better than stock speakers.

I ran (4) 15" subs and 2 700 watt amps of a stock deck before and didn't have any problems.

You are going to loose a little bit of signal quality going through the line out converter, but I wouldn't worry about it, especially if you are using a high quality one.

I have used $20 Walmart ones before with good results!
Old 01-26-2012, 01:16 AM   #3
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Why would you not change out the HU? Looks like everything else is going to be top notch, I'd guess a new HU would sound way better than stock.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:24 AM   #4
commando is on a distinguished road

Name: Brandon
commando's Tacoma Gallery
A digital signal is a digital signal, and that's about as good as it gets.
You would need some very expensive
real time analyzers and other very expensive testing equipment to tell the difference. Only a robot, or maybe your dog, would be able to distinguish between the two.

What really matters is what is reproducing the music. New speakers (and amps) is what will make an audible difference.

I have some Focal home audio speakers (that I built) they are the S$#T.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:01 AM   #5
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Why not just move forward with your plan? Worst case, if you don't like the stock HU and the LC61, all you'd be out is the cost between a new LC61 and the used price you'd sell it for. Sounds like a no-brainer to me.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:41 AM   #6
Penis Bird
SoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4daddy View Post
Why would you not change out the HU? Looks like everything else is going to be top notch, I'd guess a new HU would sound way better than stock.
Well I do love the new 2012 hu...functions, etc...also, rather keep the system hidden from los Angeles stereo jackers. The owner/installer also assured me if i didn't like the audio control route after installation and tuning he would take it back 100% refund and install hu. I just didn't want to delay the eventual if the majority said the audio control wouldn't get me my moneys worth. Thanks again, guys.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:25 AM   #7
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
I would say pick a different amp. That ARC audio amp is fairly expensive and doesn't make much power on the sub channel. Maybe the Kenwood XR-5s?
Old 01-26-2012, 08:33 AM   #8
Penis Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
I would say pick a different amp. That ARC audio amp is fairly expensive and doesn't make much power on the sub channel. Maybe the Kenwood XR-5s?
Just curious...I'm paying $400.00 for the amp...the other option was to do a mono JL 600/1 for the subs and a JL 400/4 for the highs...it would obviously cost more to go the JL 2amp route...will it make much difference? Price-wise I think it'll be around $200-$300 more.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:48 AM   #9
mattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
mattg43's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTacos View Post
Just curious...I'm paying $400.00 for the amp...the other option was to do a mono JL 600/1 for the subs and a JL 400/4 for the highs...it would obviously cost more to go the JL 2amp route...will it make much difference? Price-wise I think it'll be around $200-$300 more.

He is saying get a more powerful 5 channel - keeps install easier/cheaper/cleaner, but you can do better on the price/power ratio.

Alpine PDX, Kenwood XR5s would be good options.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:47 AM   #10
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

^Yep, what he said.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:08 AM   #12
Banned
06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed06SR5canada is one of the sharper tools in the shed
06SR5canada's Tacoma Gallery
I'd change it out for sure stock hu is garbage not even worth reselling
Old 01-26-2012, 11:18 AM   #13
Penis Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06SR5canada View Post
I'd change it out for sure stock hu is garbage not even worth reselling
Not sure if you've seen the 2012 hu, but i do like it a lot and would rather keep a stock look. Besides, if I have a digital processor that should convert the signal to my liking...correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:10 PM   #14
Sounds Gooooood

Quote:
So 400 watts rms at 2 ohms is not enough for these subs? I also liked the 2 year warranty arc audio provides with their product.
Didn't see that it made 400 on the sub channel at 2ohms. The spec chart on their side is split up weird and they pushed it to the bottom.

If you're cool with the price and that satisfies your space constraints I say go for it. 400 is plenty, just make sure you buy a sub (or subs) that wires down to 2ohms.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:24 PM   #15
Penis Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
Didn't see that it made 400 on the sub channel at 2ohms. The spec chart on their side is split up weird and they pushed it to the bottom.

If you're cool with the price and that satisfies your space constraints I say go for it. 400 is plenty, just make sure you buy a sub (or subs) that wires down to 2ohms.
Yeah I do believe the 10w1 JL subs in the stealthbox are 2ohm..thanks stallion.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #16
Sounds Gooooood

No prob man. Sorry I didn't see the other specs right off the bat.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:41 PM   #17
Team no taco
Cinco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCinco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCinco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCinco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCinco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCinco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCinco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCinco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCinco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCinco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCinco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 9th BN 94th DIV Instructor
Name: Jose
Cinco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Not sure if you've seen the 2012 hu, but i do like it a lot and would rather keep a stock look. Besides, if I have a digital processor that should convert the signal to my liking...correct me if I'm wrong.
You are 100% right.

If your stock headunit does everything it need then the AC unit will do you great. I'm not 100% sure but I think the AC unit does 7 volt rms output IIRC My Kenwood KDC-X995 only does 4v rms. It also does summing which cleans up the signal significantly.

I also second Steven in trying a different amp then the ARC model.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:45 PM   #18
Penis Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinco View Post
You are 100% right.

If your stock headunit does everything it need then the AC unit will do you great. I'm not 100% sure but I think the AC unit does 7 volt rms output IIRC My Kenwood KDC-X995 only does 4v rms. It also does summing which cleans up the signal significantly.

I also second Steven in trying a different amp then the ARC model.
Why do you think a different amp is necessary?
Old 01-26-2012, 04:28 PM   #19
Wizzard005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzard005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzard005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzard005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzard005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzard005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzard005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzard005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzard005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzard005 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWizzard005 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Greg
Wizzard005's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So I want to upgrade my stereo but want to keep stock hu...I was told by simply adding a six channel audio control(LC61), I can achieve good stereo quality. I will be running some decent equipment and am wondering if I should upgrade hu or just go this route.
List of equipment:
JL audio stealthbox..you're familiar with, I'm sure.
Focal PS165 components front
Focal PC165 coax rear
Arc audio XDI805 5 channel for everything.
LC61 audio control.
I have a tendency to trust this shop as they win competitions all over and do very quality installs. However, other installers I've talked to say I absolutely need to change the hu for better sound quality. Again, I love the stock hu and would rather keep it. I'm not going cheap, I don't think, with the equipment and just want to get my moneys worth.
Thanks in advance for all your input!
check out my youtube channel, this is what ya should do

http://youtu.be/9D8dSSHdmPk?hd=1
Old 01-26-2012, 11:19 PM   #20
midniteben is on a distinguished road
midniteben's Tacoma Gallery
I'm getting a system done in my '12 in about 2 weeks too. I'll be using the stock HU with a Audison Bit Ten, 2 way Hybrid's up front (active), no rears, and a single IDQ10 in a MrMarv enclosure. All powered by a ARC 300.4 and a 500.1 Mini.

I'm in Socal if you wanna listen to it when done.

CANT WAIT!