1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

strange subwoofer thumping problem

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Vincent, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Jan 29, 2012 at 5:59 PM
    Vincent

Vincent [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vincent
    Granada Hills
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner V6 2WD
    Exterior: Debadged, color matched White grill surround, Custom Mesh Grill,BHLM,Clear Corners,Tinted Tail lights Black/Clear/Black, Tinted 3rd Brake light 5%tint driver/passenger windows, Limo tint Rear and back windows Interior: Black Leather Door Panels Engine: Deckplate Mod Hayden Transmission Cooler Exhaust: DynoMax Muffler with 2.5 piping after cats Lighting: 6k Headlights,3k Fogs Wheels and Tires: MB Razors wrapped up in 265/70/16 BFGoodrich All Terrain KOs
    I recently got a new amp ( powerbass ASA 1500d ) which is 3000w max.
    That is powering up 2 12inch Pioneer Premiers champion pro series..rated at 3000w peak and 1000rms each.
    The amp is grounded with a 4 gauge.

I had a friend connect the amp and thought it was going to be a simple swap..but when we connected the subwoofers to a channel, the subs would start thumping out loud frequencies. All the knobs were turned down on the amp and the sub setting on the deck was set to -15. We also disconnected the RCAs from the amp and tried connecting..still it would make the subs thump like crazy. I also switched out the glass fuse for an ANL 200amp one, but still the problem persists.

any ideas on what is going on?

2. Jan 29, 2012 at 8:15 PM
    Vincent

Member:
    First Name:
    Vincent
    Granada Hills
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner V6 2WD
    Exterior: Debadged, color matched White grill surround, Custom Mesh Grill,BHLM,Clear Corners,Tinted Tail lights Black/Clear/Black, Tinted 3rd Brake light 5%tint driver/passenger windows, Limo tint Rear and back windows Interior: Black Leather Door Panels Engine: Deckplate Mod Hayden Transmission Cooler Exhaust: DynoMax Muffler with 2.5 piping after cats Lighting: 6k Headlights,3k Fogs Wheels and Tires: MB Razors wrapped up in 265/70/16 BFGoodrich All Terrain KOs
    42 views c'mon guys! =)

3. Jan 29, 2012 at 8:22 PM
    Commanderwiggin

Commanderwiggin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma D/C 4x4 TRD Sport 6MT Supercharged
    Tacomaworld isn't known for crazy a55 technical audio installations...check out 12volt

4. Jan 29, 2012 at 8:26 PM
    Vincent

Member:
    First Name:
    Vincent
    Granada Hills
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner V6 2WD
    thanks!

5. Jan 29, 2012 at 8:26 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    Thumping out loud frequencies.....is not very descriptive. Got a recording of this in action? I can figure it out I'm sure but I need more information.

6. Jan 29, 2012 at 10:15 PM
    Vincent

Member:
    First Name:
    Vincent
    Granada Hills
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner V6 2WD
    the subs will burst out into a continuous erratic thumping when connected to the amp. I disconnect immediately.
    I'll post a video tomorrow..hopefully that will help a lot.

I really don't know how describe the behavior.

Before I put in this new amp, I was using a 1600w sony amp. The subs were fine . I haven't rewired the subs any different (bridged each subwoofer)

7. Jan 29, 2012 at 10:20 PM
    TacomaG26

TacomaG26 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Goldsboro NC
    Vehicle:
    4.0v6 4x4 TRD Sport
    2.5in spacer leveling kit with Toytech AAL in the rear, Brute Force Fab front and rear bumper, AFE stage2 CAI, Alpine headunit with Rockford Fosgate amp and sub, tibted windows, KC lights.
    Sounds like you may have the Pos and Neg messed up or maybe you need to ground your RCAs also what is you OHMs

8. Jan 29, 2012 at 10:24 PM
    Vincent

Member:
    First Name:
    Vincent
    Granada Hills
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner V6 2WD
    Pos and neg connection in the subs?

my ohms for the amp? I was trying to run them at 1ohm, but we couldn't even get it to connect, cuz the subs would just start thumping bass notes.

how do you ground your RCAs?

9. Jan 29, 2012 at 10:34 PM
    Vincent

Member:
    First Name:
    Vincent
    Granada Hills
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner V6 2WD
    nvm..looked up how to ground the RCAs.. i'll probably just get a new set of RCAs tomorrow too.

10. Jan 29, 2012 at 11:21 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke

Looks to me like you already know the answer. Try putting the Sony back in and see if they still work fine.

BTW alot of amps are not 1 ohm stable, not to mention theres very little reason to run at 1 ohm.

11. Jan 30, 2012 at 7:22 AM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    My guess was going to be that the subs were just playing a constant 60hz note but since we're not in the house that's not the case I'm sure.

Definitely check your wiring OP.

12. Jan 30, 2012 at 8:23 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Symptoms sound like what I had when I hooked up my sub at 2 ohm loads, when the amp was not stable at 2 ohms bridged mono (even though the docs stated it was). Might want to re-wire to present a higher load (ohm) to the amp and see if that helps. Might be easier then re-installing your old amp.

13. Jan 30, 2012 at 8:32 AM
    Vincent

Member:
    First Name:
    Vincent
    Granada Hills
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner V6 2WD
    Powerbass amp im using:
    375W x 1 @ 4-Ohm
    750W x 1 @ 2-Ohm
    1500W x 1 @ 1-Ohm Mono Power
    3000 Watts Peak Power

Subs i'm running
    Size 12"
    Max. Music Power (Nominal) 3,500 W (1,000 W)
    Frequency Response 20 Hz to 150 Hz
    Sensitivity (1 W/1 m) 90 dB
    Impedance 2 Ω x 2 or 4 Ω x 2

I don't know if this helps, but how should I wire my subs to where they hit the hardest without problems?

14. Jan 30, 2012 at 12:15 PM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    Draw us a picture of how you have these wired. Do you have the dual 4ohm or dual 2ohm coils?

15. Jan 30, 2012 at 12:27 PM
    Vincent

Member:
    First Name:
    Vincent
    Granada Hills
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner V6 2WD
    I don't remember which ones I have. I'd have to wait til tomorrow to take pictures of the subwoofers for they are not with me at the moment.

but let's say I had either 2 ohm or 4 ohm.. what exactly would I need to do?

I dropped off the amp at a repair shop so they will be getting back to me either later today or tomorrow and let me know what needs to be done.

16. Jan 30, 2012 at 12:38 PM
    rwalker

rwalker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rian
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Baja TX
    When my sub blew for the first time it would hit randomly when connected.

17. Jan 30, 2012 at 1:02 PM
    Vincent

Member:
    First Name:
    Vincent
    Granada Hills
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner V6 2WD
    i actually have a couple of pictures to how the subs were wired
    I DO HAVE dual 4 ohms.

subpioneer.jpg

subpioneer2.jpg

I hope these pictures somewhat help.

18. Jan 30, 2012 at 5:26 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Can I get a close up photo of the terminals straight on so I can see your + and - labels.

It looks like + - - +

And if so, you're not wired correctly

[​IMG]

19. Jan 30, 2012 at 6:26 PM
    Vincent

Member:
    First Name:
    Vincent
    Granada Hills
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner V6 2WD
    The diagram shows how I have the subs wired currently.
    So now that I do have the wiring correct, what else can be the problem?

I just bought some 0 gauge which I will be able to hook up the amp to tomorrow and see how that goes.

20. Jan 30, 2012 at 7:25 PM
    ItalynStylion

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    Wait.....stop

Bigger wire wont help
    Different fuse wont help

You have something WRONG in your setup. Figure out what it is. Take a DMM (digital multimeter) and measure the final impedance of your subwoofer system. That means, take the two wires that are supposed to go into your + and - on the amp and measure the impedance. Is that you get close to 1ohm?

I'd suspect that the subs aren't the problem though since you had them running on the old amp and they were fine. Are you sure you didn't swap your power and ground wires by mistake when inserting them into the amp?

Products Discussed in

To Top