LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Dual alternators

Old 02-10-2012, 03:58 PM   #21
98_mud_bug
98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

98_Mud_bug's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
Holy crap....I refuse to believe that. That's just straight up impossible.

How the hell do you fuse something like that? Consider this, in your house, you typically run every electrical outlet in an entire room of ONE 15A breaker. I can't even fathom what 480A of draw is like. You must run like dual 0Gauge power wires to something like that.

*runs to go read up on winches*

you have to consider, thats differing between dc voltage, and ac voltage. huge difference.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:17 PM   #22
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
It is also the max load we are noting. You shouldn't be running it for long, otherwise the winch will fry. This is especially true for the permenant magnetic motor winches.
If you are at max load, you are probably doing something wrong. Get a snatch block and extension line.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:21 PM   #23
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Do you know what your battery is rated in cranking amps? Your starter approaches that while cranking. Short duration loads=smaller gauge of wire.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:38 AM   #24
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Typical load? 0-2000 lbs on a Warn M8000 is 80-200 amps. That is minimum.

Get an alternator that can run your lights and stereo. For a winch, you want to rely on a second battery. You won't end up killing your battery as fast and you can jump yourself if you leave the electronics on with the engine off accidentally.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:54 PM   #25
Instagram: stormtrooptaco
HighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud of

Name: Hank
HighTQCummins's Tacoma Gallery
DC Power Inc makes a 270a alt, puts out 160 @ idle and max at not very high, but they're expensive.

That link that was posted w/ the 250-390A alts isn't working, anyone have a new one?
Old 02-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #26
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_Mud_bug View Post
you have to consider, thats differing between dc voltage, and ac voltage. huge difference.
....Please explain. I really have no idea how they differ. I was under the impression that 12V at X amps was 12V at X amps regardless of DC or AC.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:11 PM   #27
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
....Please explain. I really have no idea how they differ. I was under the impression that 12V at X amps was 12V at X amps regardless of DC or AC.
He means 120V AC is what is in the home.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:12 PM   #28
welcome to the incredibuild
Twistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Twistedfreedom's Tacoma Gallery
think about it if your battery is rated at 680 CCA ( cold cranking amps) @12v... that's a lot of power albeit not for long a few seconds at best. 12vx680a= 8160w Max even pulling 480amps at max load it's feel within a batteries ( without and alternator running) capability for maybe 30-40 seconds before it's completely useless and needs a deep cycle charger.

I have a deep cycle marine battery hooked up to a VR10000 that I use in my boat house to pull my boat out of the water 3500lbs @15* angle) without a charger on it. Granted I only lower and retrieve the boat once before I need to charge the battery again.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:27 AM   #29
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTQCummins View Post
DC Power Inc makes a 270a alt, puts out 160 @ idle and max at not very high, but they're expensive.

That link that was posted w/ the 250-390A alts isn't working, anyone have a new one?
This is the home page:

http://www.m2kinc.com/

Maybe they are updating? It doesn't work on their page either.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:39 AM   #30
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistedfreedom View Post
think about it if your battery is rated at 680 CCA ( cold cranking amps) @12v... that's a lot of power albeit not for long a few seconds at best. 12vx680a= 8160w Max even pulling 480amps at max load it's feel within a batteries ( without and alternator running) capability for maybe 30-40 seconds before it's completely useless and needs a deep cycle charger.
Yeah, I guess I just view the majority of winch situations as extremely slow so I didn't really see how it would just be quick. I guess the real reason is that you're rarely pulling the full load of the winch. I can come to terms with that.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:20 PM   #31
manethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant future
manethon's Tacoma Gallery
I'll revamp an old thread!

There are quite a few options available that I'm currently looking at myself.
I used to compete in car audio w my Tacoma and pulled about 12-1600 amps during burps off my battery bank on an upgraded alt.
I was looking at a dual set up but the parasitic loss wasn't work it as most of the new agm batteries like xs power provide a substantial res to draw from for short periods of time. I had about 450ah reserve capacity at 20amp draw of battery in the truck and it wasn't near enough to hold my voltage stable during long beats/demos to even provide for 1/2 the power the amps were cable of.

Anyhow: dc/mechman/excessive amperage all make direct bolt on alternators for our trucks, that can withstand the terrain we deal w and constant draw when using a winch etc. I currently have a xs power 3100 as my main battery up front and that thing is stout! I'm saving up for a 270amp alt at idle and the best part is, it's a simple direct bolt in. Most of the " other " high output alternator so called ratings are complete bs and " bench marked when cold. I want a true world application 270 and the aforementioned supply that.
A strong battery like the 3100 and a 270amp should easily hold a 5000 watt inverter for quite some time and wouldn't need a second alt. if there is to much voltage drop, make sure to double up on ur power and ground 1/0 or 2/0 depending on length and add a second battery.

Another set up I had which I'm duplicating again I had 6kw rms on 2 3100s and when the truck ran i didn't suffer any major voltage drop so if that worked out for me, anything Els would be ok as well
Old 10-21-2013, 01:53 PM   #32
Instagram: stormtrooptaco
HighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud ofHighTQCummins has much to be proud of

Name: Hank
HighTQCummins's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
This is the home page:

http://www.m2kinc.com/

Maybe they are updating? It doesn't work on their page either.
very pricey, even more so than DC power, id be willing to spend the money if it was absolutely worth it. they seem to be a very legit company. i'll have to collect some pennies and maybe give them a shot in the future