Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Dual alternators

Old 02-09-2012, 12:54 AM   #1
dicktation808 is on a distinguished road
Name: Maka
dicktation808's Tacoma Gallery
Dual alternators

This might be a dumb question but would it be possible to install two alternators in a 2010 tacoma?
Old 02-09-2012, 05:26 AM   #2
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicktation808 View Post
This might be a dumb question but would it be possible to install two alternators in a 2010 tacoma?
Is your engine on this site?
http://www.nationsstarteralternator....ions-s/279.htm

Google is your friend

I'm not seeing any dual setups. There are some high output singles though. Why would you need two alternators anyway? With a high output alternator, dual batteries, and an isolator, you will be fine.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:11 AM   #3
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
If you're pulling more than 130 amps (stock towing package alt) you're either doing something wrong or are a very VERY seasoned SPL competitor...and not likely using a Tacoma.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:57 AM   #4
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
If you're pulling more than 130 amps (stock towing package alt) you're either doing something wrong or are a very VERY seasoned SPL competitor...and not likely using a Tacoma.
Inverters with a welding setup, or serious winching pull some juice.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:10 AM   #5
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
Inverters with a welding setup, or serious winching pull some juice.
True, I didn't think about things other than audio (since we're in the audio section).

Just curious, how much do large winches pull under load?
Old 02-09-2012, 09:23 AM   #6
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
True, I didn't think about things other than audio (since we're in the audio section).

Up to 400-500 amps... thats why you have a second battery, not a second alternator. A second alternator in a tacoma is silly.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:33 AM   #7

Quote:

superwinch lp8500 draws 320amps at full load.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:18 PM   #8
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Warn m8000 435 amps
Warn Xd9000i 460 amps
Warn 9.5xp 480 amps
Warn m12000 440 amps
Superwinch x9 420 amps
Old 02-10-2012, 12:01 AM   #9
01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future01TacoBuz has a brilliant future

01TacoBuz's Tacoma Gallery
If you have room for them, no it`s not impossible, find someone that`s good, to build you a bracket and can make sure your pulleys are aligned and you`re good to go

I used to run the stock alternator and a 200 amp Leece Neville

I dont have it on now but I still have the bracket to bolt on if i ever need it again
Old 02-10-2012, 12:08 AM   #10
welcome to the incredibuild
Twistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Twistedfreedom's Tacoma Gallery
there is a thread out there somewhere about using a chevy 350 200amp alt out there somewhere just need a 1/4" spacer and an wiring harness adapter i'll see if i can find it again.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:45 AM   #12
welcome to the incredibuild
Twistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Twistedfreedom's Tacoma Gallery
yea that's one of them but there is a website that had complete bolt on kit for the tacoma with up to 200amp alternator and harness for like 250 bucks. IIRC... I'm trying to find it, I'm looking to upgrade my alternator and dual batt. on my 4 banger before i add a winch.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:06 AM   #13
Sounds Gooooood

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevL View Post
Warn m8000 435 amps
Warn Xd9000i 460 amps
Warn 9.5xp 480 amps
Warn m12000 440 amps
Superwinch x9 420 amps
Holy crap....I refuse to believe that. That's just straight up impossible.

How the hell do you fuse something like that? Consider this, in your house, you typically run every electrical outlet in an entire room of ONE 15A breaker. I can't even fathom what 480A of draw is like. You must run like dual 0Gauge power wires to something like that.

*runs to go read up on winches*
Old 02-10-2012, 06:40 AM   #14
knayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
knayrb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Holy crap....I refuse to believe that. That's just straight up impossible.

How the hell do you fuse something like that? Consider this, in your house, you typically run every electrical outlet in an entire room of ONE 15A breaker. I can't even fathom what 480A of draw is like. You must run like dual 0Gauge power wires to something like that.

*runs to go read up on winches*
That's why winches are designed to be powered by batteries that can dump the amperage needed for a short time and then be recharged over a longer time by the alternator. Also the rated amp draw would be just before it stalled. It won't draw close to that during normal loads.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:50 AM   #15
Sounds Gooooood

Quote:
Originally Posted by knayrb View Post
Also the rated amp draw would be just before it stalled. It won't draw close to that during normal loads.
It better not be even close to that type of draw. Reason being is that you'd need multiple runs of 0Gauge wire to and from the unit to handle that type of draw. That's like 5000watts of power at 12V.

What are you considering to be a "normal" load?
Old 02-10-2012, 06:54 AM   #16
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
250-390 AMP alts for the 1gr

http://www.m2kinc.com/detail-tlc-4-0...4-39-38-2.html
Old 02-10-2012, 07:12 AM   #17
Sounds Gooooood

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Old 02-10-2012, 07:17 AM   #18
Banned
arrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shedarrrghhh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
arrrghhh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Do. Want.

Is this one of those situations that if I have to ask how much it costs, I can't afford it? I didn't see any pricing.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:25 AM   #19
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery

Looks like the have a distributor close to Denver....but the map isn't the greatest to read.