Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Help with wiring component set...

Old 02-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #1
Tidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tidrow's Tacoma Gallery
Help with wiring component set...

Fellas,

I'm putting in a component set. I need to know witch wires on door to run to the crossover? Any help would be great. 08 model

Or, if anybody has a link to a good DIY thread on this that would work too.

Thanks in advance,

Tidrow
Old 02-11-2012, 03:35 PM   #2
Tidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shedTidrow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tidrow's Tacoma Gallery
nevermind
Old 02-14-2012, 07:01 AM   #3

Tidrow's Tacoma Gallery

Old 02-14-2012, 07:02 AM   #4
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
Nice work. Hope you used some foam or something to keep the crossover from rattling.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:38 AM   #5

Tidrow's Tacoma Gallery
rattle because of the truck or rattle because of the sound vibes?
Old 02-14-2012, 08:11 AM   #6
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidrow View Post
rattle because of the truck or rattle because of the sound vibes?
Could be both. You just don't want them bouncing around on the hard surfaces because you'll hear them buzz. You'd likely have noticed it already if it was going to be an issue so don't worry. If you hear a buzz that's likely what it is.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:49 AM   #7
93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed93civEJ1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

93civEJ1's Tacoma Gallery
going to do any deadening? Are you just powering the component set off the headunit or an actual amp?
Old 02-14-2012, 10:11 AM   #8

Tidrow's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
Could be both. You just don't want them bouncing around on the hard surfaces because you'll hear them buzz. You'd likely have noticed it already if it was going to be an issue so don't worry. If you hear a buzz that's likely what it is.
I sinched them down pretty tight, but you are right. I'll pad them when hook up the amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93civEJ1 View Post
going to do any deadening? Are you just powering the component set off the headunit or an actual amp?
They are powered of my headunit for now. I am going to deaden the doors when I hook up the 4 channel.

I'm trying to snag this JLw3 for the backseat. Kid says he will give me the sub and box for 100. Thoughts?

http://austin.craigslist.org/ele/2848475776.html
Old 02-14-2012, 10:28 AM   #9
Hmmmm
TurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
TurboGT's Tacoma Gallery
Props to the OP for a job well done... It's great to have someone that can figure things out on their own and come up with good results.

I can't tell what you used for the speaker/tweeter mounting plates - it doesn't look like any sort of a wood product I've seen before, in fact it almost looks like some sort of a plastic?
Old 02-14-2012, 10:33 AM   #10

Tidrow's Tacoma Gallery
you don't wanna know
Old 02-14-2012, 10:43 AM   #11
mattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
mattg43's Tacoma Gallery
Cutting board?
Old 02-14-2012, 11:14 AM   #12
Hmmmm
TurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TurboGT's Tacoma Gallery
It looks somewhat "fiberous" around the edges... that's why I said plastic, and it doesn't look more than 1/4" thick either
Old 02-14-2012, 12:40 PM   #13

Tidrow's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabeJ View Post
Props to the OP for a job well done... It's great to have someone that can figure things out on their own and come up with good results.

I can't tell what you used for the speaker/tweeter mounting plates - it doesn't look like any sort of a wood product I've seen before, in fact it almost looks like some sort of a plastic?
Thank you sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg43 View Post
Cutting board?
Quote:
It looks somewhat "fiberous" around the edges... that's why I said plastic, and it doesn't look more than 1/4" thick either
Yep it's plastic alright, I used the lid from one of these. It was really big and perfectly flat.... used the stockers for templates.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:42 PM   #14

Tidrow's Tacoma Gallery
what do yall think about that sub?
Old 02-14-2012, 02:16 PM   #15
Hmmmm

TurboGT's Tacoma Gallery
If the box is well-made, then $100 is ok... it also depends on what amp you're planning on using for it, and personally, I think your money would be better spent on an amp for your fronts.

Way to be inventive on the baffles, but you'll really wanna get some MDF or something to replace them with asap... I mean a 2'x4' piece of 1/2" at Home Depot is something like $5 in my neighborhood. Don't forget to seal them up too... rubberized undercoating or something
Old 02-15-2012, 04:58 AM   #16

Tidrow's Tacoma Gallery
I hear you on the front amp... surfing for a 5 channel actually

The plastic will work fine until the doors are deadened and the speakers are amped up. Ith's a temporary fix.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:00 AM   #17

Tidrow's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg43 View Post
Cutting board?
good question... I was looking for one but they were all too thick and seemed hard to cut LOL
Old 02-15-2012, 07:19 AM   #18
mattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
mattg43's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidrow View Post
good question... I was looking for one but they were all too thick and seemed hard to cut LOL
That is one of the things that makes them great for a baffle.

Quote:
If the box is well-made, then $100 is ok... it also depends on what amp you're planning on using for it, and personally, I think your money would be better spent on an amp for your fronts.

Way to be inventive on the baffles, but you'll really wanna get some MDF or something to replace them with asap... I mean a 2'x4' piece of 1/2" at Home Depot is something like $5 in my neighborhood. Don't forget to seal them up too... rubberized undercoating or something
The sub is probably worth it, if you want to build a box for it. I would use a cutting board over a MDF baffle because of ease and no need to worry about sealing or water proofing it.

[QUOTE=Tidrow;4563292]I hear you on the front amp... surfing for a 5 channel actually
Lots of good 5 channels, with the Kenwood XR5s being a good value (sometimes) with good power for the price...