1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Kicker IX vs. Kicker DX Amps

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by mbrogz3000, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Feb 13, 2012 at 11:09 AM
    mbrogz3000

mbrogz3000 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Toyota 4Runner Limited
    Does anyone know the actual differences between these lines of amps? I know that the IX is perceived to be 'better' because it costs more when you compare amplifiers watt for watt, but the limited user reviews I've read make it seem like the DX line is just as good as the IX line. I haven't been able to find any formal reviews of this stuff to actually examine the quality of amplified signal output, aside from a 2010 IX review article from Car Audio mag. Both are class-D amps, with a great level of filtering to eliminte audio signal noise. I know that IX is very very efficient, and it doesn't draw much amperage during musical peaks..so little that you wouldn't need a Capacitor.

My only guess, since available product info is overly simplified, is that the IX has a better selection of higher quality components than the DX. The cost savings on the DX has to come from somewhere....

2. Feb 13, 2012 at 11:44 AM
    TurboGT

TurboGT Stirring the pot since...

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno DC LB 4x4
    None yet, starting over!! OME lift w/ Dakars & 885's Remote Start w/ window control
    This is your answer.... Better, higher quality components inside the chassis. More power, more efficient, smaller footprint, better engineered, more configuration options, etc... Even the wire connector blocks scream better quality.

I know there's sound logic in why one should use a capacitor, but after 7 yrs of installing (& 7 years of manufacturer training), IMO there's very little practical use of a capacitor, aside from padding your salesman's pocket. I've had 3 different (& very reputable) manufacturer's all state that a capacitor is really nothing more than car stereo bling, and my experience is exactly that.... in more than one car, installing or removing a capacitor added very little if any difference to how a system worked.

I know there's more than a few people that will flame me for saying this, and I'm sure there's an equal if not greater number that will "correct" me on this, but again, this is my opinion, and my opinion is that replacing your alternator/battery/wiring with higher quality components will net you a better result.

3. Feb 13, 2012 at 11:52 AM
    Killer

Killer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mobile, Al.
    Vehicle:
    98 4x4 TRD V6 3.4L SR5 XCab Gold with Tan Int
    19,000 Original Miles, Factory Alarm, Factory Tow Package, Low Profile UWS Black Tool Box, 20ft. of Dynamat Xtreme, Pioneer Double Din DVD 3200BT, IPod Holder, Q Form Kick Panels, 3 Pairs of MB Quart component speakers, JL Audio Stealthbox, Alpine PDX-5 amp, PIAA Foglights, WeatherTech Floor Mats, Maxxis Big Horn Mud Tires 32 x 11.5 R x 15, Wet Okole Seat Cover for 60/40 Bench, 5100's Front & Rear, Wheeler's Single Leaf AAL, Warn 8,000 Winch, Warn Transformer Brush Guard, Stebel Nautilus Compact Horn
  4. Feb 13, 2012 at 1:17 PM
    mbrogz3000

mbrogz3000 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Toyota 4Runner Limited
    Thanks for the replies. I forgot about the size :), as I got caught up in technical specs. They are putting a big premium on the small footprint, but rightfully so. I'll check out those precision power amps too.

I initially was thinking to find and go with the older ZR amps, but in the long run I don't want to deal with any potential reliability problems should something fail...and also the fact that they draw A LOT of current and throw off a lot of heat. These probably sound better than the vast majority new stuff, I'd be reusing electronics, and they still look very good....but this project is more function over form.

Products Discussed in

To Top