Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Kicker IX vs. Kicker DX Amps

Old 02-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #1
mbrogz3000 has a spectacular aura aboutmbrogz3000 has a spectacular aura about
Name: Matt
mbrogz3000's Tacoma Gallery
Kicker IX vs. Kicker DX Amps

Does anyone know the actual differences between these lines of amps? I know that the IX is perceived to be 'better' because it costs more when you compare amplifiers watt for watt, but the limited user reviews I've read make it seem like the DX line is just as good as the IX line. I haven't been able to find any formal reviews of this stuff to actually examine the quality of amplified signal output, aside from a 2010 IX review article from Car Audio mag. Both are class-D amps, with a great level of filtering to eliminte audio signal noise. I know that IX is very very efficient, and it doesn't draw much amperage during musical peaks..so little that you wouldn't need a Capacitor.

My only guess, since available product info is overly simplified, is that the IX has a better selection of higher quality components than the DX. The cost savings on the DX has to come from somewhere....
Old 02-13-2012, 11:44 AM   #2
Hmmmm
TurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
TurboGT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrogz3000 View Post
My only guess, since available product info is overly simplified, is that the IX has a better selection of higher quality components than the DX. The cost savings on the DX has to come from somewhere....
This is your answer.... Better, higher quality components inside the chassis. More power, more efficient, smaller footprint, better engineered, more configuration options, etc... Even the wire connector blocks scream better quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrogz3000 View Post
I know that IX is very very efficient, and it doesn't draw much amperage during musical peaks..so little that you wouldn't need a Capacitor.
I know there's sound logic in why one should use a capacitor, but after 7 yrs of installing (& 7 years of manufacturer training), IMO there's very little practical use of a capacitor, aside from padding your salesman's pocket. I've had 3 different (& very reputable) manufacturer's all state that a capacitor is really nothing more than car stereo bling, and my experience is exactly that.... in more than one car, installing or removing a capacitor added very little if any difference to how a system worked.

I know there's more than a few people that will flame me for saying this, and I'm sure there's an equal if not greater number that will "correct" me on this, but again, this is my opinion, and my opinion is that replacing your alternator/battery/wiring with higher quality components will net you a better result.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
mbrogz3000 has a spectacular aura aboutmbrogz3000 has a spectacular aura about
Name: Matt
mbrogz3000's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the replies. I forgot about the size , as I got caught up in technical specs. They are putting a big premium on the small footprint, but rightfully so. I'll check out those precision power amps too.

I initially was thinking to find and go with the older ZR amps, but in the long run I don't want to deal with any potential reliability problems should something fail...and also the fact that they draw A LOT of current and throw off a lot of heat. These probably sound better than the vast majority new stuff, I'd be reusing electronics, and they still look very good....but this project is more function over form.