1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sony HU and speaker package deal

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by RelentlessFab, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Dec 8, 2008 at 3:45 AM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab [OP] Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    The other day my girlfriend was driving me to pick up my Taco from getting the TSB done i was making fun of the crappy factory stereo in her '03 Corolla and she says "fine then, install a better stereo for me for Christmas".... not a bad idea, wasn't sure what to get anyway!:D
    So, started looking for something better yet wouldn't cost too much, found this Sony package at Walmart last night with a HU, 6.5's, and 6x9's for only 90 bucks. Gotta be better than whats in it already, right? It even came with a remote and an aux-in cable for an iPod or other MP3 player!
    Sony stereo package.jpg
    So now i've been looking around for speaker adapters, speaker wiring adapters, and a dash kit for the HU for her car. The 6x9 and 6.5" speaker adapters and wiring adapters i've found all seem pretty expensive, or are cheap but really look it too. Anyone know of any places to look for quality installation components that are cheap?

2. Dec 8, 2008 at 8:47 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    If you are buying locally,

-The Sound Man has probably the most stuff. Last time I checked, everyone I dealt with there is moronic and the owner is freakin psychopathic crazy... but again, at least there's stuff to look at.
    -There's a place near Diamond home center on South 6th. Very much the "chrome flames make it sound better" type of place, but I remember some prices being low.
    -Audioworks II went out of business.

Which pretty much leaves you to online venues unless you go to Medford or Eugene.

Not sure what you mean by wiring adapters... the back of the new speakers should be male spade connectors, you can crimp on female spade connectors purchased from anywhere.

3. Dec 8, 2008 at 11:15 AM
    RelentlessFab

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    yeah chicken, soundman is really the only place in town right now. I actually bought my Alpine HU for my Tacoma from them because i was able to chew em down 25 bucks and that was only about 20bucks more than the guys on ebay which werent 'authorized alpine dealers.'
    The wiring adapters im talking about are the ones with the factory plug on one end so i dont have to cut the wiring in the car. Thery're like $25 for 2 pairs of em and that seems a little steep to me.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. Dec 8, 2008 at 1:39 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    All the normal TW BS
    I'm not sure why you need the the factory plug to the speaker... are you really intending to stick the factory speakers back in? If no, then there's really no point, especially with the bottom line cost being the largest factor.

...which also brings up a good point: don't forget the wiring harness for the deck.

5. Dec 8, 2008 at 3:19 PM
    RelentlessFab

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    yeah, i know all the wiring. the metra dash kit i bought comes with a wiring adapter to splice into the car's wiring.
    I guess price is important to me, but really sound quality is too. i dont want to install a total POS system thats no better than stock for her. I'd rather get a decent deck and all the intall stuff, then let her family get some speakers maybe? idk what im gonna do totally. I think im going to build a new box for the back of my truck that will fit 2 10's and then i'd just throw my 12" out of my truck into her trunk so theres some decent bass hit too.
    So, does anyone that knows car audio know whether or not this kit is worth installing, or is it no better than the factory stereo?

6. Dec 8, 2008 at 6:18 PM
    RelentlessFab

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    come on, there's gotta be some audiophiles on here to throw me some tips!......:playball::popcorn:

7. Dec 8, 2008 at 9:54 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    All the normal TW BS
    Sorry i couldn't go into much depth, I can't escape from work too often.

I'm probably not the person you wanted to keep responding, but at least I'm keeping the topic alive, I guess :eek:

Metra and Scoshe for dash kits are pretty much the standards. I haven't heard of anything else, really.

Consider the install equipment as your base cost and build from there.
    Some people argue that it's most important to have a quality front stage and ignore the rear speakers. Might help cut costs.
    A sub might be too much at this point. Focusing on deck, amp, front speakers might be more reasonable.
    It would be a good idea seeing which head units and speakers she likes. Her listening tastes may be different, and her idea of an easy, appealing deck is very important.
    Buy a deck with 3 sets of preouts. I wouldn't consider anything else.
    If you think you need a sub later, buy a 2 channel amp for the speakers that you could later bridge for a entry point sub amp.
    make sure she wants to give up the trunk space for the sub

some guys posted sites to buy from here. I recommend always checking with Resellerratings.com

I didn't want to outright say it, but since you asked... It's widely agreed that Sony hasn't made quality product for ages. I have no bias in the matter, I am simply repeating what I hear constantly.

If you want to buy a sub, I have a 10" RF sub in a sealed truck box. Roughly $30 puts it on your doorstep (stupid shipping costs a ton), $15 if you come pick it up from Hillsboro/Salem/Corvallis.

and last but not least, you can always call Marv. He may be able to work with you or provide insight.

Products Discussed in

To Top