Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

2012 Access Cab Audio - Upgrade very necessary

Old 02-18-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
Scentless is on a distinguished road
Scentless's Tacoma Gallery
2012 Access Cab Audio - Upgrade very necessary

Hey Tacoma World - I'm semi new to the forum and have to say that it's pretty awesome! Lots of cool people always happy to share information. I just upgraded from a 2001 Regular Cab 4 cyl. to a 2012 Access Cab TRD Sport V6...you can imagine the difference!

My ONLY complaint is how terrible the stereo system is. Not because that was an important factor in my purchase, but I think it's reasonable to expect a "decent" system in a vehicle produced in 2012 & for the price paid. But, again, it's my ONLY complaint. The 2012 is awesome, IMHO.

My basic plan is to:
- install JVC head unit, already purchased: http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/car/2011navi_microsite/
- Metra steering wheel kit
- replace the front door speakers
- add a 10" sub in the back
- add an additional pair of speakers to the access cab doors (6.5s?)

I'm ready to put a system in and have some quick questions:

What size speakers are in the front door?

The access cab doors don't have speakers in them..I've seen some people that have added speakers with some kind of grill replacement..do you have to do this custom? Where would you buy these pieces?

If I don't do the above, and don't have any speakers in the access cab doors, where else could I add additional, say, 6.5s?

I'm assuming I should have a pair of speakers in addition to the front door set just to round out the sound, when considering the sub. Thoughts?

Thanks for any assistance!
Old 02-18-2012, 03:25 PM   #2
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Yea, stock stereo is pretty terrible. However, I was content just adding an aftermarket HU and an 8" sub. Didn't want to get into adding speakers and whatnot. Filled in the low end bass and don't have to have the HU cranked up to near max volume like I did with the stock one.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:33 PM   #3
Out fer a Rip eh Bud
VanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: DJ
VanCity4x's Tacoma Gallery
6x9 front
6.5 in the rear
My access cab has 2 front speakers and 2 rears. I would just flush mount them onto the doors if they dont fit in behind. Might be able to get new door trim from a wrecker. Make sure to get the mounting bracket for any speakers.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:35 PM   #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ERS TACOMA View Post
6x9 front
6.5 in the rear
My access cab has 2 front speakers and 2 rears. I would just flush mount them onto the doors if they dont fit in behind. Might be able to get new door trim from a wrecker. Make sure to get the mounting bracket for any speakers.
Thanks, 49ers. What year is your Tacoma? This must be factor with the Access Cab doors having speakers..

I assumed the fronts were 6x9s...with the 2 inch tweeter on the top of the door.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:36 PM   #5
Oh, when you say 'flush mount them to the doors' - basically you'd just cut a whole in the door panel & mount the speaker and use a speaker grill?
Old 02-26-2012, 07:56 PM   #6
UPDATE:

I decided to to with Image Dynamics 6.5s in the front & a ID 10 inch in a down fire box behind the passenger seat.

Hey, does anyone have experience removing the storage bins in a 2012? I'd love to gain the room for the sub box & don't really care about the jump seats.

I've heard it's easy to remove the center console in the rear, but that the storage bins can be an issue.

As always - thanks!!
Old 02-26-2012, 09:19 PM   #7
silk12taco is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Civil Engineer
silk12taco's Tacoma Gallery
I have a box for sale that would fit between your rear jump seats if you still need a box.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:45 PM   #8
ninja90177 will become famous soon enoughninja90177 will become famous soon enough

Army: 11B -> 88L
Name: Kenney
ninja90177's Tacoma Gallery
I've got the KW-NT30HD head unit, Kicker solo-baric L7 (in a subthump.com box) powered by an Alpine PDX-M6 amp. For the doors, I threw in some JL Audio C5-650 components powered by an Alpine MRP-F300.

I originally got intrigued by adding speakers to the rear. So much so, that I started looking for earlier door panels so I wasn't cutting up the stock, '09+ panels in my truck. After hearing my buddy's system in his '05, the rear speakers became moot. Most of my recovery gear and extra tools and shit for work reside in the rear, and very seldom do I ever have passengers that would be able to enjoy the speakers back there. I said screw it.

I should note, i'm deaf in my right ear, so even having a decent stereo is a waste for me.

Sorry for cell phone pics. Never got around to taking some decent shots.

Kenney
Old 02-28-2012, 11:21 PM   #9
Kenney,

Hey, thanks for your post!

I appreciate the pics, I think it looks great.

The box I'm planning on getting is made by the shop where I'm have the install done (10 inch Image Dynamics, downfire box).

It's not terribly big, but with the storage bins in you can't really move the passenger seat back at all.

But the guy at the shop said they could take the storage boxes out, which they've done before, but I have a feeling that previous years may have been different. I read a post on here where someone said you'd have a hole in the cab if you just removed the storage boxes without doing anything else.

Thanks again for your post - how do you like the JVC??
Old 06-22-2012, 04:25 PM   #10
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
I cut out the metal from under the drivers side jump seat in my 09 access cab and stuffed a custom box under there with a 8" shallow mount, sounds pretty decent for just one small sub, i still have full use of my back seats and the sub is protected and hidden
Old 06-22-2012, 04:28 PM   #11
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I dont know if youve had this done yet, but after you take out the storage bins there is a metal frame there that supports the seat, solution :sawzall. If anyone is interested in taking this on i could attempt a write up with dimensions of the box
Old 06-25-2012, 07:19 PM   #12

ninja what kinda dash kit is that?
Old 06-27-2012, 12:02 PM   #13
zphly is on a distinguished road
zphly's Tacoma Gallery
Can't speak for him, but the dash kit looks like a silver Metra to me...
Old 06-28-2012, 10:35 PM   #14
2009tacomav6 is just really nice2009tacomav6 is just really nice2009tacomav6 is just really nice2009tacomav6 is just really nice
Navy:
2009tacomav6's Tacoma Gallery
Great post. I too have a new access cab. Turns out, not sure when, but the rear speakers are in the ceiling under the headlner without any grill. Im not sure which engineer genious came up with that plan but man, how do you change thosespeakers out now. Its going to be a huge pain to get to them id image. Having to take down the headliner is going to be crazy. Anyone done this before?
Old 06-29-2012, 11:05 AM   #15
Zfinger will become famous soon enoughZfinger will become famous soon enough
Name: Zack
Zfinger's Tacoma Gallery
I've got a 2012 TRD Sport Access Cab, basic stereo.

So the front speakers are a 6x9 or a 6.5? And the rear speakers are in the roof above the headliner? Are there actually tweeters behind the grills or did they use the same door panels for the stock stereo and the JBL stereo?
Old 07-01-2012, 02:32 PM   #16
Hey whats up Zfinger.

As for whether or not they're 6x9 or 6.5s, I'm not sure..perhaps they can fit both..but I think the common set up is to put 6.5 "component" speakers up front, which will be paired with a separate 2 inch tweeter.

That's what I have in my front - 2 6.5 Image Dynamics & I have a 10 inch Image Dynamics sub in a down fire box behind the passenger seat.

RE: the speakers in the headliner/rear - I thought that was so weird!! It sounded terrible with the stock setup. I asked the installer to just cut the connection to them.

Once you change your system..just take a look at the stock speakers..and you'll see why it all sounds so terrible. If they cost more than $3 - $7 to make, I'd be shocked. Absolute trash.

make sure to update the forum with what you do!
Old 09-29-2012, 09:53 AM   #18
2012 dbl cab 4x4
kevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shedkevinsc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kevin
kevinsc's Tacoma Gallery
and they are 6x9 in the front doors with a 1.5 inch tweeter you can fit 6.5 if you make a plate for them otherwise you need to cut the factory speaker out of the plastic surround and use that for a bracket with your new speakers so you have good depth!
Old 09-29-2012, 11:58 AM   #19
2009tacomav6 is just really nice2009tacomav6 is just really nice2009tacomav6 is just really nice2009tacomav6 is just really nice
Navy:
2009tacomav6's Tacoma Gallery
Keep me posted! I would like to add rear speakers too!
Old 10-14-2012, 09:10 PM   #20
ninja90177 will become famous soon enoughninja90177 will become famous soon enough

Army: 11B -> 88L
Name: Kenney
ninja90177's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomatron22 View Post
whats the better head unit? The JVC KW-NT30HD or the JVC KW-NT50HDT?????
They're identical in every aspect, with the exception of the "T" designation on the model numbers.

The "T" means traffic. You get lifetime traffic via HD radio. After seeing the 2 units side-by-side, I decided that I know my cities traffic patterns better than some in-dash HU with 1-2 year old maps.

FWIW, I just sold my KW-NT30HD and installed the Pioneer AVH-P8400BH. For nav, it pulls right off of the phone and has traffic, maps are up to date, and makes location searches much easier. They're going for around $550 too, so price point makes it cheaper than what I originally paid for the NT30HD but with a 7" detachable face.