Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Factory sub-woofer

Old 02-20-2012, 12:48 PM   #1
flo04 is on a distinguished road
flo04's Tacoma Gallery
Factory sub-woofer

Wanting to know of anyone had pics of a factory installed subwoofer for a 2012 double cab. I was thinking about buying one and installing it but don't know what the set up looks like and unsure of how much room I'd have to sacrifice. Also if anyone has one they may be interested in selling let me know.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:49 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Go aftermarket. You would need the JBL amp, wiring and JBL headunit if you wanted it to function like stock.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:50 PM   #3
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Not worth it IMO. You can get just as much bass from aftermarket speakers without a sub. Also, the subwoofer requires a digital signal provided by the JBL system. You would need the JBL head unit.

Unless something changed in 2012, then I'm talking out my ass.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:51 PM   #4
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Go aftermarket. You would need the JBL amp, wiring and JBL headunit if you wanted it to function like stock.

JBL wiring it stupid easy, FYI. Two wires to the amp... thats it.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:52 PM   #5
captain.cardinal1 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: staff sgt
Name: chad
captain.cardinal1's Tacoma Gallery
There is no way you can get just as much bass with after market speakers. The bass in the 2012 jbl is sweet. Sounds better than most all aftrrmarket systems I've heard. I don't , however , have a picture of it.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:52 PM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
JBL wiring it stupid easy, FYI. Two wires to the amp... thats it.
Even if it was wireless it isn't worth the time and money.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:16 PM   #7
flo04 is on a distinguished road
flo04's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for info guys, I aint looking for that much bass just a little extra kick to the music which is why I wanted to stick to the smaller factory subwoofer especially when it came to keeping some storage behind the seats. But I didn't even think of having to have the Jbl head unit, of which I don't, this is starting to seem like it might turn into a big project which I may not be up too...
Old 02-20-2012, 01:19 PM   #8
Banned
Just get something for under your seat.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:44 PM   #9
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
A little powered sub will work wonders for improving sound quality. Something like the SO powered that I will link should fit under your seat and add way better bass than any basic stock subs, I'm about 90% sure of this because odds are it's a little paper cone 60rms speaker that will run off of hu power and suck power from everything else. If you want something a little bigger then you could put a JL 8" W3 in a ported box and it'll hit plenty hard for your average listener looking for better sound.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_777B8PT...PT.html?tp=114
Old 02-29-2012, 10:04 PM   #10
trunk monkey
thatguy0o0 is on a distinguished road

Air Force:
Name: Matt
thatguy0o0's Tacoma Gallery
Or you can go stock, install an loc for low level input from factory stereo and do a normal amp install with out doing anything jbl or factory amplified. Just buy a nice aftermarket sub and amp that will fit behind the seat build a box to accommodate install amp kit and loc and skadoosh! Factory look, aftermarket sound.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:10 PM   #11
crazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrazyengineer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: patrick
crazyengineer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by flo04 View Post
Thanks for info guys, I aint looking for that much bass just a little extra kick to the music which is why I wanted to stick to the smaller factory subwoofer especially when it came to keeping some storage behind the seats. But I didn't even think of having to have the Jbl head unit, of which I don't, this is starting to seem like it might turn into a big project which I may not be up too...
If you are wanting to keep some storage behind the seats, you may want to look at the JL 13w5 pancake sub......It sounds great, and its loud when you want it to be

It is what I have in my setup, It only takes up behind the 60 section of my 40/60 bench in the back, but i think it would work behind the 40 section as well, with your amp (or in my case amps) mounted to the back of the 60 section

sorry for the quality

i have a JL 13w5 pancake behind my 60 part of my 60/40 bench seat took the plastic out, its driven by a 500 watt JL Audio J2 500.1 Calss D Mono Amplifier. I have infinity door speakers all around powered by a 1000 watt nitro amp. All controlled by a kenwood excelon with my ipod in the glove box
Old 02-29-2012, 10:13 PM   #12
Aight
sernaj64 is on a distinguished road
Name: Juan
sernaj64's Tacoma Gallery
subd
Old 03-15-2012, 10:41 PM   #13
jspetrovitsis is on a distinguished road
Name: James
jspetrovitsis's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyone know why my factory sub wont put out any bass after installing my new alpine double din deck? I had the non JBL head unit, is it because when i removed that i took away the amp with it??? I cant figure this out