1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Question about ground wire placement.

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Trith72, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Feb 22, 2012 at 9:24 AM
    Trith72

Trith72 [OP] Member

Member:
    I've got an 05 Taco Double cab, and I'm in the process of putting in my new sound system with a custom behind the seat box with a 10 inch sub and 2 amps, one for the sub and one for the doors. I am going to use a distro block for power and a distro for ground, and my question is about the main ground location. I noticed when I got the seat out there were 4 approximately 10-12 mm bolts in the floor just behind the seat. I have no idea what they are attached to under the floor and that leads me to my question: Could I remove one of these, score the metal under it with a dremel and use a ring connector with that bolt as a good ground, or is something awful going to happen if I remove one of these bolts (ie my shaft or tranny drops out lol) temporarily...and is there a nut underneath I can't see or is it just the bolt? Anyone know?

2. Feb 22, 2012 at 9:33 AM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    I always ground to the frame.. May require putting a hole in your cab and getting a grommet. Make sure you sand down your ground point to bare metal and use the shortest possible path.

3. Feb 22, 2012 at 9:59 AM
    TurboGT

TurboGT Stirring the pot since...

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno DC LB 4x4
    None yet, starting over!! OME lift w/ Dakars & 885's Remote Start w/ window control
    I'd suggest running your ground out of the dist block and finding a factory ground point - There's usually one along the driver's side sill plates near the seat bolt. Just make sure that you're getting a solid contact point, and to that end I'd suggest taking a piece of sand paper and scrubbing away until you get some nice shinny metal.

Also, don't forget to upgrade your chassis-to-battery ground as well.

4. Feb 22, 2012 at 10:07 AM
    Trith72

Trith72 [OP] Member

Member:
    Oh thanks I had forgotten all about the chassis to battery being a small gauge. Off to Autozone after work I suppose!

5. Feb 22, 2012 at 11:38 AM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    I would try one of the bolts first. If it works, you're done. If it doesn't work, then and ONLY then should you feel the need to do additional work.

Products Discussed in

To Top