question about my headrest dvd players

Old 02-29-2012, 09:39 AM   #1
Vandaman
Vandaman is on a distinguished road
Air Force: SSgt vehicle maintainer
Name: Van
Vandaman's Tacoma Gallery
question about my headrest dvd players

Ok so two weeks a ago i bought my first toyota. its a 2006 doublecab tacoma. im extremely inpressed with it at this point. However the person who owned it before me installed the headrest dvd players in both headrest. for whatever reason i cant get them to power on. I traced the wires up to a smal black box behind the dash, and everything appears to be hooked up. Not sure if the original head unit has to be on a certain setting to provide the units with power or not. the dvd players dont have speakers so im assuming they have to be wired into the head unit for sound. At this point im confused and dont really want to tear out the console and dash to try and figure out what could be a simple problem. oh and of course the stealership isnt helping at all.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:50 PM   #2
NOCENTS is on a distinguished road
Name: Jason
NOCENTS's Tacoma Gallery
What brand model are the headrest monitors? Did you use a test light to see if there was power to them? It is possible that last owner had a different HU hooked to them, and since these are not OEM the local dealer wouldnt have a clue how to get them to work.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:53 PM   #3
Lazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shedLazylegs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Lazylegs's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Lazylegs
Get a reader and see if there is power to the units. Check all fuses.
If above doesnt work, take it to your local stereo shop and make some
new friends.
I hade to be creative when I was monting my player in my Taco.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:00 PM   #4
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
When I had TV's in my head rests they were powered by their own 12v power source that I ran off the main power to the deck. Then mine had an orange wire that was used for the ACC power that would turn it on and off. I'd need to know what type of TV's you had but maybe that ACC wire is your issue.