1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sub Mounting Depth

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by insomnizac, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Mar 10, 2012 at 8:46 PM
    insomnizac

insomnizac [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Dayton, OH
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport DC
    I'm in the planning stages now for a system in my 10' DC and was wondering if there was a good rule of thumb as to what our max mounting depth is for custom boxes placed behind the rear seat. I'm considering everything from 8" subs to shallow mount subs. Any lessons learned would be most welcome.

2. Mar 10, 2012 at 8:50 PM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    Probably the max depth sub that you're going to be able to put behind your seats are going to be around 5 inches. If you would give me a budget that you're trying to stick to then I could help and give some advice on what you could do. Some people have put subs under their rear seats and reported that they sound good like that.

3. Mar 11, 2012 at 10:00 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    You can get 6 inches by mofidying the box some. About 5.4 I think with no mods. Can get deeper but requires custom box and modifying seatbacks and brackets.

4. Mar 11, 2012 at 3:58 PM
    insomnizac

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Dayton, OH
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport DC
    I'd rather not modify the seats if I can help it which is why I'm looking into shallower mounted subs. As far as budget the max I would like to spend on the subs is around $500 whether 1 or 2 subs. I originally was thinking of just going with a JL 13TW5, but from what I've read on other forums there are a lot better options out there than JL especially for the money. I'd jump on a SI BM MKIV if they were out yet, but who knows when they'll be ready. I'm most definately going for SQ with this system, and I have very eclectic taste in music.

Thanks for the replies so far

5. Mar 11, 2012 at 7:46 PM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    This is what I would do if I had a 2nd gen plenty of bass for the normal listener and great SQ for around $500.

1 with the extra mounting depth:http://www.supercrewsound.com/05tacomadbldual.html
    2 JL Audio W3v3-4:http://www.woofersetc.com/p-5202-10w3v3-4-jl-audio-10-500-watt-4-ohm-subwoofer.aspx
    1 Kenwood KDC8105D:http://www.woofersetc.com/p-8490-ka...k-1000-watt-performance-series-amplifier.aspx
    Install it like this and you will have half the RMS that the subs can handle if you would like to go full RMS then that's pushing the $1,000 mark but I've heard these subs setup just like this and they knock hard. http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutch...nter/car/subwoofer_wiring/2SVC_4-ohm_mono.jpg
    Right now that setup is around $700 but you can opt for the single sub box same amp and save about 200 which will still sound great and put you into your budget.
    http://www.supercrewsound.com/05tacomadblsingle.html

With that box the only thing you will lose are the plastic bins behind the rear seat. If that is a little to much then I've heard great things about the JL Audio CP108LG-W3v3 and a member on here put them behind the rear seats of his 2nd gen DC but I believe he also had to remove the plastic bins. You could run that with this amp just fine and that is a little lower and in your budget by about $100. http://www.woofersetc.com/p-6249-mrp-m500-alpine-mono-500w-subwoofer-amplifier.aspx

6. Mar 11, 2012 at 9:37 PM
    insomnizac

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Dayton, OH
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport DC
    By $500 I meant for the just the sub, but if I can come in a little lower then all the better. So far what I was looking at was a JL 13TW5, an Alpine SWR-T12, or two Sundown SA-8s. I'm kinda diggin the SA reviews, but the mounting depth on those comes in at 5.25" which might be pushing it. I plan to build the enclosure and amp rack behind the seat myself so it's optimized for the sub I get.

7. Mar 12, 2012 at 6:02 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    5.25 should be no problem at all.

8. Mar 12, 2012 at 8:08 AM
    mattg43

mattg43 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 DC
    SwingCase, driver side. PVC Bike rack. Aftermarket stereo.
    I would pretty seriously consider driving over to Parts Express and getting a pair of Dayton HO 10's, and port them.

As to 8" drivers - While I love them, and have run quite a few, I would err on the side of more cone area and less throw to get the volume, rather than massive throw from a smaller sub.

I had no issues with my SI BM (liked it better than the Mag v.3), But with the cost Nick will have to charge if keeping a NEO motor, and the issues others had with the v3 driver, I might reconsider.

The SWR-t12 models for a little too large of a box (IMO), but the 10 looks fantastic in .4-.5, and looks decent in .6-.7 ported.

9. Mar 12, 2012 at 10:25 AM
    insomnizac

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Dayton, OH
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport DC
    I've been considering the Daytons as well and plan on visiting PE sometime this week.

10. Mar 12, 2012 at 11:06 AM
    mattg43

mattg43 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 DC
    SwingCase, driver side. PVC Bike rack. Aftermarket stereo.
    I have had nothing but good things to say (or read elsewhere) about the Daytons. I have not run the 10's, but I do have a 15...

Products Discussed in

To Top