LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Is disconnecting the battery necessary

Old 12-12-2008, 11:22 AM   #1
Samsonite...I was way off!
jmasterj has much to be proud ofjmasterj has much to be proud ofjmasterj has much to be proud ofjmasterj has much to be proud ofjmasterj has much to be proud ofjmasterj has much to be proud ofjmasterj has much to be proud ofjmasterj has much to be proud ofjmasterj has much to be proud of

jmasterj's Tacoma Gallery
Is disconnecting the battery necessary

My Kenwood Head unit died on me so they sent a replacement, so I have to pull it out and install the new unit. I was just wondering if it is really necessary to have to disconnect the battery to do this? It is freaking 2 below 0 right now and it really don't feel like messing with the battery.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:07 PM   #3
81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold
81shark's Tacoma Gallery
i've never disconnected a battery when doing a head unit.

i did however pull the inline fuse when i ran the wire for my amp.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:24 PM   #4
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
amps, yes.
head units, nope.

My thoughts are that the chance of me getting shocked hooking up the head unit is pretty minimal, the vehicle is off, and I'm guessing the warranty can cover magic smoke.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:34 PM   #5
Dealer/Sales Rep for Sundown Audio.
atsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really nice
atsaubrey's Tacoma Gallery
it is always recommended, if you were using a Pioneer with PICO fuses then FOR SURE!! With the Kenwood its your call but read my first statement.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:49 AM   #6
Mr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mr Marv's Tacoma Gallery
I'd have to agree it's better safe than sorry even if it is freezing outside!
Old 12-15-2008, 05:52 PM   #7
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom View Post
you won't get shocked from 12VDC !!!!!
and as posted a blown small fuse can ruin your day
do you replace parts in your desktop computer with power on?
i'm more worried about amps.
Never blown a fuse in the 6 decks I've owned, each installed more than once.
I don't replace parts in the computer with the power on, but I don't disconnect the power supply from the motherboard and drain residual charge either.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:54 PM   #8
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
it's most likely safe to leave it connected but if you don't disconnect it and end up frying something you're gonna kick yourself for trying to save 2 minutes

warm the tools in the house first and keep them in your pocket. learned that from living in colorado where the wrenches would stick to fingers at -20F