1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A/V/NAV Overhaul in my 2012 DC

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by tackytaco, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Mar 18, 2012 at 12:24 PM
    tackytaco

tackytaco [OP] Active Member

Member:
    N-Ville
    Vehicle:
    2012 DC TRD Off-Road 4x4 Debadged
    Hi All,

I've been doing quite a bit of research on the specs of the 2012 DC Taco, and after my lift/tire/wheel upgrade 2 weeks ago, I'm about to drop ~$4k in the inside for A/V/NAV overhaul. I initially wanted to go with a pair of JL 8w7 behind the rear seat, but from what I've read and from the measurements I've taken, it doesn't look like it will work unless I rip out the back seat which isn't going to happen.

Having that said, for those with the 8w3's in their DC, how do you like them and what are you powering them with?? Any suggestions on on pre-fabbed enclosures or should I just do it myself so that I know it's right?? Taking it to a local shop for the box isn't out of the question, but I want to make sure it's not half-ass done, so any suggestions in the Nashville TN area would be great.

In my closet sits a 500/1 v2 that powered a 10w6 in my Lexus IS-350 (which I can't use, but the amp should power a pair of 8w3's just fine).

Head unit i'm looking at is the Alpine INA-W900 or 910. Any opinions on a better HU? Pioneer, Kenwood, etc?? I listen to ALL kinds of different music, so the HU with the most X-over/slope knobs, driver alignment/timing, para EQ, etc are critical.

And last, I am looking at getting Focal for mids and highs, but I haven't done ANY research in the latest and greatest for mids and highs, so I any thoughts in that area would be great as well.

I always add a second battery (Optima Red) when I go with a lot of power, but it may not be needed and a nice CAP might do to save the factory battery. I've ruined quite a few cells in my days and don't want to do it again in the new Taco.

Sorry for the long post, but looking for any input on the subs, HU, mids and highs.
    TIA!!

2. Mar 19, 2012 at 2:04 PM
    TurboGT

TurboGT Stirring the pot since...

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno DC LB 4x4
    None yet, starting over!! OME lift w/ Dakars & 885's Remote Start w/ window control
    Cap = waste of money.... upgrade your main electrical wires (Batt > Alt > chassis)

Replacing the battery for a Red Top is worth the money (IMO).

If you're really into the EQ settings, stick with the Alpine and get their Imprint processor. The INA-W900BT uses this product, and the 910 uses (what I assume to be) a new product, but I can't find it anywhere on their site... Only thing I could find on it was this news release

If you know how to build a box and have the tools to do it correctly, then do it. If not, take it to a shop or get a hold of Mr. Marv here (others as well) - I've never dealt with him other than a phone call a couple summers ago but he was friendly and everyone here raves about his work

Products Discussed in

To Top