1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Preparing for 02 Ext Audio upgrade

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Ronaldo156, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Mar 21, 2012 at 5:59 PM
    Ronaldo156

Ronaldo156 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Washington
    Red LED interior swap, Deck Plate Mod, Magnaflow 18"
    Hello TW,

I'm looking to start gathering information on upgrading my stereo and speakers for my 02 Extended cab. I'm trying to keep it as budget friendly as possible and was just shopping around for ideas at the moment.

Ive been looking on Crutchfield and Sonic Electronix for decks in the $100-150 range, are there any preferences to brand on these forums? Ive always been partial to kenwoods.

same goes with speakers. I hear great reviews on pioneer and alpines for the doors,would it be best to just upgrade the front doors and tweeters, or get the two in the rear also? would I need a separate amp for the two rear speakers, or would an aftermarket deck be able to power all 4 + tweeters?

and I was most likely going to go with a sound ordnance sub/amp for a little extra bass, as I can't afford to sacrifice my rear seats.

pardon my lack of knowledge, but I want to do this right the first time and appreciate any and all advice!

2. Mar 21, 2012 at 7:05 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    I don't wanna sound like an ass, but your question has been asked many times. Just scroll down through this sub-forum and I'm sure you'll find what you need.

An aftermarket deck SHOULD be able to power all 4 speakers plus tweeters, since your tweeters are inline with your speakers, you'll just need to verify the impedance is not lower than the deck can handle. Honestly, just upgrade the fronts. I bought myself a set of Hertz speakers awhile back, and I will never recommend ANY other brand ever again. I hate turning the volume up and hearing sharp tones from my speakers, which is what you will get from plastic cones. The Hertz are actually some kind of cardboard and they put out beautiful sound.... the price might be outside your budget though.

If you're gonna stick to your budget, just go to wal-mart. True upgrades cost money. Get yourself a nice Pioneer, Kenwood, or Alpine deck and a cheap set of speakers. Great sound won't come until you amp em either, but you should be happy with what Wally World can sell you.

EDIT: I'm sure I'll probably get flamed for this post, but its my take on things... everyone has a different take, this is mine.

Products Discussed in

To Top