Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

HELP!! ERROR 5 WITH USB IPOD

Old 03-22-2012, 11:31 PM   #1
Penis Bird
SoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SoCalTacos's Tacoma Gallery
HELP!! ERROR 5 WITH USB IPOD

guys, i keep getting error code 5 on certain playlists and certain songs with my stock head unit. i have my ipod plugged to the usb port.
recently, i changed my itunes account and realized that the ipod itself wont play the songs.
even on my computer it wouldn't play those songs until i authorized it with my old account name and pasword.
now my computer plays em but the ipod does not.
so i guess i need to know if theres a way to authorize my ipod to play them as well?
thanks in advance!
Old 03-27-2012, 04:50 PM   #2
CantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FTR
CantSitStill's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed. Had the same error code. No clue why.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:52 PM   #3
drubacca117 has a brilliant futuredrubacca117 has a brilliant futuredrubacca117 has a brilliant futuredrubacca117 has a brilliant futuredrubacca117 has a brilliant futuredrubacca117 has a brilliant futuredrubacca117 has a brilliant futuredrubacca117 has a brilliant futuredrubacca117 has a brilliant futuredrubacca117 has a brilliant futuredrubacca117 has a brilliant future

Air Force: Avionics Craftsman, 33 AMXS, 33 Fighter Wing
Name: Brad
drubacca117's Tacoma Gallery
Are these songs you bought off of iTunes? I know the DRM on those can be picky at times when you mess with accounts and such...
Old 03-27-2012, 04:58 PM   #4
Penis Bird
SoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCalTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hey guys, figured out what was up. apparenty when i switched computers my songs hadnt downloaded to my new computer. so when i synced they would show on my ipod but wouldn't be authorized to play. went to the apple store, downloaded all the songs off my ipod to the new computer itunes account and they work fine now.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:14 PM   #5
CantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FTR
CantSitStill's Tacoma Gallery
Nice
Old 10-19-2012, 09:03 AM   #6
Gotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to behold

Gotcha88's Tacoma Gallery
Want to revisit this.. See if anybody else has had the problem.

I get Error 5 all the time. Using iPod music, Pandora, SoundCloud, the new Podcast app, etc. Happens with iPhone 4, 4S and now my 5. No rhyme or reason, just happens. I thought it may have been working better with BT turned off on the phone, but I have since found this doesn't matter.

Anybody else have similar problems? A solution?
Old 10-20-2012, 11:14 AM   #7
yellowrubiu has much to be proud ofyellowrubiu has much to be proud ofyellowrubiu has much to be proud ofyellowrubiu has much to be proud ofyellowrubiu has much to be proud ofyellowrubiu has much to be proud ofyellowrubiu has much to be proud ofyellowrubiu has much to be proud of

yellowrubiu's Tacoma Gallery
I'm getting the same error. I jut got an iPhone 5 this week. When I plug it into the USB port and try to access it through my non-entune OEM radio it starts flashing error 5 after about 10 seconds.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:18 AM   #8
Penis Bird

There's an "authorization" process that needs to be done with your new iphone/ipod. I don't know what it is but that's what my problem was. Only a few songs were not authorized and the entire playlists suffered.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:30 AM   #9
yellowrubiu has much to be proud ofyellowrubiu has much to be proud ofyellowrubiu has much to be proud ofyellowrubiu has much to be proud ofyellowrubiu has much to be proud ofyellowrubiu has much to be proud ofyellowrubiu has much to be proud ofyellowrubiu has much to be proud of

Well apparently that ^ wasn't the problem for me. I suspect my issue had something to do with Pandora. I had not hooked up the iPhone via USB to the head unit until today. I had only been using the bluetooth connection and streaming Pandora or my music library over bluetooth.

I went back to the truck after my previous post, killed all the apps running, including Pandora, and voilà no more error 5 and full iPod controls
Old 10-21-2012, 02:05 AM   #10
Gotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to beholdGotcha88 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowrubiu View Post
Well apparently that ^ wasn't the problem for me. I suspect my issue had something to do with Pandora. I had not hooked up the iPhone via USB to the head unit until today. I had only been using the bluetooth connection and streaming Pandora or my music library over bluetooth.

I went back to the truck after my previous post, killed all the apps running, including Pandora, and voilà no more error 5 and full iPod controls

FML I tried that and it still isn't working..

Pandora on a friend's phone the other day would only work for about 10 secs.

iPod on mine works 95% of the time. SoundCloud gives Error 5 at the end of each song, and I have pretty good luck with Pandora. Gotta take her in for 10k service next weekend, I'll ask those guys and report back..
Old 10-21-2012, 02:36 AM   #11
.45%er
the.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Nick
the.sight.picture's Tacoma Gallery
WD40, Then ducktape, then hammer. Solves all.

I really dont know, but it is nice to read about. BUMP
Old 11-04-2012, 09:59 AM   #12
flyingpostman is on a distinguished road
Name: Richard
flyingpostman's Tacoma Gallery
Happens to me all the time. I mostly listen to podcasts, so I can't vouch for Pandora, etc. The problem seems to be when the deck downloads the list of songs/podcasts/books, etc. from the phone. Only happens when I first plug in the phone, again, this doesn't happen all the time. It seems to happen more with the iPhone 5 than it did with my 4S, however, the update from iOS 5 to 6 happened around the same time I got an iPhone 5. When my 4S had an earlier iOS when I first bought it the 'Error 5' problem happened a lot less.

Sometimes a simple replugging of the phone fixes the issue, when this doesn't work (sometimes it won't), reboot the phone. This will fix the Error 5 problem when you plug the phone back into the truck again. The Error 5 problem will come back again at some point when you replug the phone (it seems pretty random, maybe not the next 1 or 2 times, but it will happen again).

BTW, once I tried playing some audio from the non-default music app and it was a disaster of Error 5's. I couldn't fix that one.

BTW, having Bluetooth audio connected with the phone AND also connected with USB was a complete disaster when I first bought the truck. The deck seemed to get confused. Disable bluetooth audio (but keep bluetooth phone connection)

Interestingly my wife doesn't have these issues with her 2012 Venza, which has basically the same deck, just looks slightly different.

Another solution may be to connect your phone via Bluetooth audio and charge it separately via a USB cigarrette lighter adaptor. Haven't tried this though.

If all else fails, I suppose you can use the AUX mini-jack input and control the phone from the phone itself. Charge it via above method if you need to.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpostman View Post
Another solution may be to connect your phone via Bluetooth audio and charge it separately via a USB cigarrette lighter adaptor. Haven't tried this though.
^this is exactly what I'm going with because....

Quote:
... having Bluetooth audio connected with the phone AND also connected with USB was a complete disaster
I ordered one of these on Monday. I just want to power and charge the phone. I don't mind using the phone to control the music and bluetooth to stream the audio. The response to the iPod/iPhone controls through the stock head unit are so slow anyway that it becomes frustrating anyway.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:51 AM   #14

BUMP. Anybody have any luck? Are there people with 2012 non-Entune that DON'T have this problem?

Quote:
I like this idea, but the audio quality is sh*t on BT compared to having it plugged.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:12 AM   #15
Airdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AD3 86-89 VX-5 China Lake
Name: Tom
Airdog's Tacoma Gallery
I get this problem with the iPhone 5. Seems to happen if I start out using the USB then switch to bluetooth when i switch back to USB i get the error 5. If I disconnect the cable from the phone and then plug it back in it fixes the problem. Going to try turning off BT audio today and see if that solves the problem.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:55 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdog View Post
I get this problem with the iPhone 5. Seems to happen if I start out using the USB then switch to bluetooth when i switch back to USB i get the error 5. If I disconnect the cable from the phone and then plug it back in it fixes the problem. Going to try turning off BT audio today and see if that solves the problem.
IMHO, unless you're an audiophile, which I'm not, you can't tell the difference.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #19
losshack is on a distinguished road
Name: Los
losshack's Tacoma Gallery
Any Luck with Error 5?

I just purchased a 2012 Venza and my Iphone 5 plays about 2-3 songs then goes to Error 5. I haven't tried closing the apps but all I use is Spotify. Let me know if you guys figured anything new. I've tried the Lightning Connector using the old USB cable and still no luck. As far as I'm aware of, I haven't connected to the Bluetooth. Thanks

Los
Old 11-11-2013, 01:00 PM   #20
wvbugman is on a distinguished road
wvbugman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Happens to me all the time. I mostly listen to podcasts, so I can't vouch for Pandora, etc. The problem seems to be when the deck downloads the list of songs/podcasts/books, etc. from the phone. Only happens when I first plug in the phone, again, this doesn't happen all the time. It seems to happen more with the iPhone 5 than it did with my 4S, however, the update from iOS 5 to 6 happened around the same time I got an iPhone 5. When my 4S had an earlier iOS when I first bought it the 'Error 5' problem happened a lot less.

Sometimes a simple replugging of the phone fixes the issue, when this doesn't work (sometimes it won't), reboot the phone. This will fix the Error 5 problem when you plug the phone back into the truck again. The Error 5 problem will come back again at some point when you replug the phone (it seems pretty random, maybe not the next 1 or 2 times, but it will happen again).

BTW, once I tried playing some audio from the non-default music app and it was a disaster of Error 5's. I couldn't fix that one.

BTW, having Bluetooth audio connected with the phone AND also connected with USB was a complete disaster when I first bought the truck. The deck seemed to get confused. Disable bluetooth audio (but keep bluetooth phone connection)

Interestingly my wife doesn't have these issues with her 2012 Venza, which has basically the same deck, just looks slightly different.

If all else fails, I suppose you can use the AUX mini-jack input and control the phone from the phone itself. Charge it via above method if you need to.
I've noticed mine getting worse with each iphone update . It got worse with the September 2012 update and horribly worse with the September 2013 updates . Maybe the radio needs updated to work with the newer ios7?