Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Subwoofer Performance Question

Old 03-24-2012, 08:57 PM   #1
DavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dave
DavidS's Tacoma Gallery
Subwoofer Performance Question

I'm planning on installing a small powered subwoofer (Sound Ordnance™ B-8PT) behind the passenger seat on the driver side. In most cases, I expect I will not have the seat folded down while driving.

Is the performance of the sub impacted by not having the seat folded down? I may be out of my mind, but intuitively, it seems like having the seat up would be blocking the sub. If there is some performance drop, roughly how much of a difference would it be?
Old 03-24-2012, 11:33 PM   #2
AJ4X4 is a splendid one to beholdAJ4X4 is a splendid one to beholdAJ4X4 is a splendid one to beholdAJ4X4 is a splendid one to beholdAJ4X4 is a splendid one to beholdAJ4X4 is a splendid one to beholdAJ4X4 is a splendid one to behold
AJ4X4's Tacoma Gallery
I dont know much about this but I've read on here that bass is a non directional sound therefore something can be in between you and the sub and sound the same as if there was nothing between you and the sub.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:35 PM   #3
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
True bass is felt, not heard.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:55 AM   #5
whiptastic handling
FoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud ofFoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud ofFoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud ofFoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud ofFoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud ofFoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud ofFoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud ofFoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud ofFoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud ofFoundOffRoadDead has much to be proud of

Army: E-3
Name: Shamus
FoundOffRoadDead's Tacoma Gallery
Seat up of down does matter. What you hear is compressed air it also depends on the box you have and or using. Get a ported box.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:37 AM   #7
DavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DavidS's Tacoma Gallery
I've been thinking about this all night... If the seat is folded up, there isnt a free path for the compressed air of the subwoofer to follow. The seatback equates to putting your hand on the sub when it is playing. By my logic, the seatback MUST be muffling the sub.

In almost every build I've seen, the plastic storage bins are removed. I haven't seen it discussed, but one of the reasons must be to create an opening up by the headrest.

This might all be obvious to many of the veterans to this forum, but I'm pretty new to all this. I'd love to hear what you all think.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:12 AM   #8
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
The plastic bins are removed in order to have a box with enough volume for the woofers. If your mind was already made up, and not willing to take peoples advice or thoughts, why ask the question in the first place?
Old 03-25-2012, 11:52 AM   #9
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mike
ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
I can't comment on this exact situation dealing with your truck, but I had a 10'' pioneer in my old saturn and it sounded a hell of a lot better when I had the back seat folded down. So I think you would notice a difference in sound with the seat folded up. If the sub was really powerful it wouldn't make a difference, but mine was only 150w rms so it didn't have the power to get through the back seat...
Old 03-25-2012, 11:55 AM   #10
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
If you keep the high pass of the sub around 90Hz you won't be able to locate the sub in the cabin and I don't notice any difference in performance when my seat backs are up or down.
Edit: I should add that I have 2 8'' Polk Audio MM840's behind the rear seat of my '01 double cab.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:11 PM   #11

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorseforever View Post
If you keep the high pass of the sub around 90Hz you won't be able to locate the sub in the cabin and I don't notice any difference in performance when my seat backs are up or down.
Zackly, one should not even be able to tell from which direction bass is "coming" from.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:01 PM   #12
DavidS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by t4daddy View Post
The plastic bins are removed in order to have a box with enough volume for the woofers. If your mind was already made up, and not willing to take peoples advice or thoughts, why ask the question in the first place?
My mind isn't made up. I'm also considering installing the sub under the driver seat. However, this isn't my first choice because the fit looks pretty tight and I expect passengers would kick it from time to time.

My preference is to simply install it behind the drive side passager seat without removing the plastic bin. There is actually plenty of room inside the bin, which brings me back to my original question. I'm wondering if the subs performance will be compromised if the seat is folded up. Based on some comments, there may be a problem, while others don't see an issue. The verdict is still out and I'm grateful for all the comments.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:12 PM   #13
NORTHERN RED-NECK
udy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
udy2554's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton View Post

FWIW, I installed my B-8PT under the driver's seat of my truck and am very pleased with the result.
How did you get that under the seat? I have an amp under the driver's side, so I was going to install my B-8PT under the pass. side, but I think the bars under the seat hit it.

Pics would be awesome if you can do it.

Sorry for the hi-jack!
Old 03-25-2012, 02:55 PM   #14
DavidS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by udy2554 View Post
How did you get that under the seat? I have an amp under the driver's side, so I was going to install my B-8PT under the pass. side, but I think the bars under the seat hit it.
Yeah, what is the deal with that bar? Why only on the passenger side? I've read somewhere about people taking it out or flipping it upside down so it doesn't get in the way.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:14 PM   #15
NORTHERN RED-NECK
udy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

udy2554's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
Yeah, what is the deal with that bar? Why only on the passenger side? I've read somewhere about people taking it out or flipping it upside down so it doesn't get in the way.
Good idea...I think. I'll have to go investigate. I thought I searched pretty well, but maybe I'm slacking!

Right now mine is just wedged in behind the drivers rear jump seat.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:19 PM   #16
Norton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 17D4B w/ assignments in AFCC, AFSC, AFMC, AFSPC, AFRC, USAWC, NORAD-USNORTHCOM, USAFA
Name: Steve
Norton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Pics would be awesome if you can do it.

Sorry for the hi-jack!
Been doing yard work all day, so just seeing your request for pics now. (Sorry.) Will try to take some in the next couple of days. In the meantime, I note that you're in a 2nd Gen. The seat configuration MAY be different than my 1st Gen, because the B-8PT fit under my driver's seat like it was made to go there.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:39 PM   #17
NORTHERN RED-NECK

udy2554's Tacoma Gallery
Oops, didn't notice you're a 1st gen. On my 2nd gen., there is a bar across the bottom of the seat that prohibits the sub. from fitting there. I actually concidered install some 1" square tube under the seat mounts. I just didn't know if a side impact might tear them free with the added leverage. An actual box might need to be built to do what I'm thinking..

Sorry again for the hi-jack, I'll check these thoughts in other threads.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:16 PM   #18
DavidS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Oops, didn't notice you're a 1st gen. On my 2nd gen., there is a bar across the bottom of the seat that prohibits the sub. from fitting there. I actually concidered install some 1" square tube under the seat mounts. I just didn't know if a side impact might tear them free with the added leverage. An actual box might need to be built to do what I'm thinking..

Sorry again for the hi-jack, I'll check these thoughts in other threads.
Proceed with caution if you mess with the bar under the passenger seat. From what I've read, it serves some function in enabling the passenger airbag.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:28 AM   #19
NORTHERN RED-NECK

udy2554's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
Proceed with caution if you mess with the bar under the passenger seat. From what I've read, it serves some function in enabling the passenger airbag.
Noted! I try to do my research before messing with stuff I know nothing about!

Hanes book and TW to the rescue!
Old 03-26-2012, 07:44 AM   #20
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
Haynes repair manual-worth their weight in gold.