Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

best 10 inch sub

Old 03-26-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
lil2faded is on a distinguished road
Name: ryan
lil2faded's Tacoma Gallery
best 10 inch sub

Okay guys after much deliberation I have decided to go with just 1 10" sub in my tacoma along with the JBL speakers that are already installed. I've been looking at the JL 10w6. I just wanted to know what you guys think are the best models of 10" subs out there? I really don't have a budget but don't wanna spend anything over 700 between the sub and amp.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:31 PM   #2
mattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
mattg43's Tacoma Gallery
Where do you plan to install it?

Best at what?
Old 03-26-2012, 02:49 PM   #3
Im going to install it where the JBL 8 inch sub is now. So behind the passenger seat. And best is really up to your digression. I just want to know what others think are good models and why. But I really want something that's gonna shake the earth.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:07 PM   #4
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
10W6 is a great sub but what's "best" is completely subjective. I love JL Audio products but others may not, many people feel that they are overpriced pieces of junk and a simple google search will prove that point. IMO A W6 will knock the hell out of your truck and sound great doing so as long as it's in a good box even a shitty sub, sony xplode notice the subjectivity, will sound great.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:09 PM   #5
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
^ Pieces of junk? No. Overpriced? Yes.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:12 PM   #6
Honey Badger takes what it wants
Jonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
Jonyd182's Tacoma Gallery
I've had 3 and by far the kicker was the best.

http://www.amazon.com/Kicker-10C104-...2799873&sr=8-1
Old 03-26-2012, 03:16 PM   #7
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomanator View Post
^ Pieces of junk? No. Overpriced? Yes.
Please don't take that as my opinion, I believe they could lower the prices of their products and still make a ton of money but I wouldn't hesitate in buying them.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:27 PM   #9
mattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
mattg43's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil2faded View Post
Im going to install it where the JBL 8 inch sub is now. So behind the passenger seat. And best is really up to your digression. I just want to know what others think are good models and why. But I really want something that's gonna shake the earth.
A W6 is too deep to fit behind the seat.

If you want to shake the earth, you need to move air.

This means either high excursion, or large cone area.

I prefer cone area, but its up to you.

Beyond this, you need to worry about box size. Small box subs (like you want with the limited area we have in these trucks) generally need a lot of power.

Last - I dont know what you consider loud. Each person is different, and I assume you want loud on music, not SPL competitions. An idea of what you listen to, and your last system will help.

I would probably look for large cone area, good excursion, and power handling. A triplicate of 10" drivers, or a pair of 12 or 13" drivers, that can work in a small box.

These are not my goals, so I am not up to date on modern loud subs, but I would think most of the modern 10" drivers with good excursion and a strong amp would satisfy most listeners needs.

A Digital Design, Sundown, or SSA would be at the top of my list. Maybe something like 3 or 4 SA-8 drivers with a lot of power would be fun, or a pair of the ported.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:27 PM   #10
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorseforever View Post
Please don't take that as my opinion, I believe they could lower the prices of their products and still make a ton of money but I wouldn't hesitate in buying them.
I hear ya. JL makes good stuff, some of the best out there, but there prices could be a little cheaper.

As far as Kicker, they're good at being loud, but not much else. I have L5, loud as fuck, but sound quality and accuracy kinda sucks.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:29 PM   #11
mattg43's Tacoma Gallery
By the way, are you building your own box? Does the $700 include funds for a box, wiring, install, etc? Or is that your "All In" price?
Old 03-27-2012, 08:49 AM   #12
I was just gonna order a box from some one else. I wouldn't trust myself to do it ha. But i'll do all the wiring and the install myself.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:59 AM   #13
Justin has a spectacular aura aboutJustin has a spectacular aura aboutJustin has a spectacular aura about

Air Force:
Name: Justin
Justin's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Justin
I did the same project that you are doing. I went to this website for sub boxes. I got the second one (goes behind the back seat on the drivers side, one sub). I put in a Rockford Fosgate P3 10in. shallow. It sounds great. I got it with a 300 watt amp and it is underpowered. I'd say easily a 500 watt amp would would. But regardless it sounds great. Keep in mind that whichever box you do, you will most likely need to take out the panels on the back of your seat, so your sub has a little bit of room. Even with the panels off, it is still a snug fit. But damn does it sound good. Best of luck to you. I'll put up pictures later to show you what mine looks like
Old 03-30-2012, 12:40 AM   #15
Raney08 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: 341 Civil Engineering
Raney08's Tacoma Gallery
Mr. Marv suggested the Arc audio 10's. I am very pleased with the sound and clarity.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:27 AM   #16
hotrodbanshee is on a distinguished road
Name: Clayton
hotrodbanshee's Tacoma Gallery
Google the polk audio MM1040 subs. They have some good reviews.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:45 AM   #17
Troyaudi0 is on a distinguished road
Name: Troy
Troyaudi0's Tacoma Gallery
Im with Raney08, Mr. Marv knows his stuff..
I have used the Arc is a good sub I have (2) ARC10d2's