1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012 DCSB Speaker Install

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by andrew8404, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Mar 27, 2012 at 12:19 PM
    andrew8404

andrew8404 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ANDREW
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD OR 4x4 (Sold) 19 Ford Ranger Sport XLT 4x4
    I'm a newb when it comes to stereo equipment in my truck and was wondering if I should get a professional install or not. I just ordered a 6x9 JBL GTO 938 and JBL GTO 1 inch tweeters for the front and a 6x5 JBL GTO 638 for the rear. I guess my question is do I need any mounting brackets or anything special to install? Shouldn't they just swap out if there the same size as my 2012 double cab? I'm willing to give it a go because I really don't want to pay 80 bucks for someone to install them for me. Thanks and sorry for the new question!

2. Mar 28, 2012 at 11:19 AM
    tranceporter

tranceporter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rishi
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    4x4, DCSB, Off Road, V6 Tow
    would using these speakers with the stock headunit make that much of a difference? I've always heard the overall quality of audio output is based on head units ability to adequately power the speakers.

3. Mar 28, 2012 at 5:37 PM
    spithead051

spithead051 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Fairfax, VA
    Vehicle:
    09 AC 4x4 OR S/C'ed!
    Supercharger, ICON 2.5VS w/ CDC, TRD T/X Pro Wheels, 255/85/R16 BFG MT KM2's, APEX three hoop bumper, Smittybilt X20 Comp Gen 2, Allpro IFS skid, All-Pro Sliders, Dynomax exhaust, aFe Stage 2 si, URD 2.85 stealth pulley, Oil pressure, oil temperature, boost, A/F ratio gauges, Devil horns, WO seat covers
    Your sound quality will be clearer but it won't get much louder.

I replaced my front door speakers in my AC with some Pioneer's and the big thing I noticed was the sound just sounded crisper. Didn't get much louder and deeper but I blame that on the stock head unit that is designed to power stock speakers. I plan to upgrade the head unit later but I got a deal on the speakers so I jumped on them.

It is a good starting sound upgrade but you will want a head unit as well for the best results.

4. Mar 29, 2012 at 7:04 AM
    tranceporter

Member:
    First Name:
    Rishi
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    Thats what I figured.

Anyone know if you can fit 6x9's in the back of the DC's instead of the 6x5's?

5. Mar 29, 2012 at 7:16 AM
    WheelinJ91

WheelinJ91 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Edmonton,AB
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD DCSB
    Airaid Intake, MBRP Exhaust, Toytec OME 3" lift w/AAL, Flip-kit, LR UCA's, Weathertech Floor mats, hood and window deflectors.
    Im in the same boat with my 12' im not sure what i will do for subs as i want to keep child seat restraints and dont want any thing to be removed behind the seat that couldnt be put back. but im not to worried about the plastic i just want the child seat restaints, and i would like to keep the controls on the wheels so i dont know how it would work with a aftermarket H/U.

6. Mar 29, 2012 at 7:21 AM
    tranceporter

Member:
    First Name:
    Rishi
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    I also dont want to start ripping out the plastic behind the seats or the storage under the seats. Besides I dont know how rear passengers would feel about the vibration from the subs under or behind them.

Not sure if this is possible (I dont know much about car audio but know a whole lot about home theaters lol) but perhaps

Factory HU --- Aftermarket Amp --- Aftermarket Speakers all around

Replace the rear 6x5's with 6x9's which would not only provide better sound but also improve the bass. Definitely not as much bass as a sub but should be a bit more balanced.

7. Mar 29, 2012 at 7:25 AM
    WheelinJ91

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Edmonton,AB
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD DCSB
    Airaid Intake, MBRP Exhaust, Toytec OME 3" lift w/AAL, Flip-kit, LR UCA's, Weathertech Floor mats, hood and window deflectors.
    I dont really care about passengers haha i didnt buy my truck to drive others around, If i had passengers in the back i would turn it down, but like i said it wasnt for driving others around, i know keeping the H/U is ideal because XM is stock with it and ive paid for a year haha but Amp and speakers and deadending for sure. Im going to take my truck to a audio place and see what can be done and how much it will cost me.

8. Mar 29, 2012 at 7:35 AM
    tranceporter

Member:
    First Name:
    Rishi
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    Update with their thoughts and opinions. I need to think about my options as well. I am planning on doing a road trip to Alaska form Atlanta next year hence the reason I bought the truck and need to think about passengers in the back seat.

9. Mar 29, 2012 at 7:43 AM
    WheelinJ91

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Edmonton,AB
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD DCSB
    Haha all my friends are stoked about a new system and like i said i would turn down the sub if there were people in the back seat, and im single so i dont have to worry about a family in the back, i normally only have one person in the back so i can just say sit on the other side haha.

10. Mar 29, 2012 at 10:16 AM
    spithead051

spithead051 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Fairfax, VA
    Vehicle:
    09 AC 4x4 OR S/C'ed!
    Supercharger, ICON 2.5VS w/ CDC, TRD T/X Pro Wheels, 255/85/R16 BFG MT KM2's, APEX three hoop bumper, Smittybilt X20 Comp Gen 2, Allpro IFS skid, All-Pro Sliders, Dynomax exhaust, aFe Stage 2 si, URD 2.85 stealth pulley, Oil pressure, oil temperature, boost, A/F ratio gauges, Devil horns, WO seat covers
    ********* makes brackets and mounting kits for our trucks. You can choose between HDP or MDF, they can provide the wiring harnesses needed to wire new speakers into the factory wiring without cutting, and they provide the longer bolts needed as well.

I bought one of their kits for my front speaker upgrade and it was the easiest speaker install I have ever done.

I chose 6.5 over 6x9 because from what I read round speakers provide better sound quality than ovals.

11. Mar 29, 2012 at 10:58 AM
    andrew8404

Member:
    First Name:
    ANDREW
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    So I decided to go into my local stereo shop and have them install it. After talking to them they suckered me into doing a aftermarket stereo but got a great deal. Im getting the pioneer 4400 with dash kit and steering wheel controls plus speakers instal all for 625 out the door. That's pretty much Amazon prices and paying a little bit for installation. I'm curious to see how it all fits due to a dash kit not being out for it but they said they would make it work. I'll take pics and update.

12. Mar 29, 2012 at 10:59 AM
    andrew8404

Member:
    First Name:
    ANDREW
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    By the way to install the 6x9 up front it looked like they shaved some of the inside door to make it fit better.

13. Mar 29, 2012 at 12:12 PM
    CantSitStill

CantSitStill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    FTR
    CNY
    This is what I just got from Crutchfield.. I'm installing tomorrow and I will try to get some good shots. I wanted to keep the stock head unit since I like the features and want the inside of the truck to look stock, but make it sound MUCH better.

[​IMG]

I love dealing with Crutchfield as they help match components to your needs and budget and teh extras like dash kits and speaker brackets are always included in their prices.

The Sound Ordnance powered sub is smaller than what I would like, but i think it is going to provide just enough punch, and it will fir right behind the back seat withour hacking up the interior.

14. Mar 29, 2012 at 12:24 PM
    dusman

dusman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Windsor, Maine
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD ORDC MGM
    from what I have heard and spoken to crutchfield about, 6x9s won't fit in front without some trimming, yes the stock is 6x9 up front but they are thing cheap POSs that are made to fit, also you get better sound from a 6.5 anyway. Good luck, I just prefer not to hack away to get a speaker to fit.

15. Mar 29, 2012 at 1:19 PM
    ZMan2k2

ZMan2k2 “Hold my beer and watch this!”

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    Not true. I have some ********* adapters that allow me to run 6x9's in the front doors of my truck, no trimming. I would however, suggest a different supplier than that. Maybe Mr. Marv. He's a vendor here, and is a little more reliable than the other guys. I will say, if you run an aftermarket deck, definitely run new speaker wire to the doors, at least the fronts. For years I ran the fronts through the factory wiring, but never really had satisfactory results. Just this week, I ran new wire, after reading the DIY in this section. Big difference. The sound improved dramatically, I regained the bottom and top ends, and got a more improved output, louder and clearer.

16. Mar 29, 2012 at 4:20 PM
    andrew8404

Member:
    First Name:
    ANDREW
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    Here are a few pics from the install. Looks pretty good but the unit does stick out a little farther then my old double din. The kit is from another company called American something and is a flat black. Though I'm not too pleased with the Bluetooth stereo so far. I don't have steering wheel voice controlled because they said its not compatible. And the Bluetooth seems to take forever to hook up compared to the stock stereo. Also it seems to have trouble connecting as a phone. The speakers do sound better/louder with a new head unit compared to the stock stereo.

17. Mar 29, 2012 at 4:24 PM
    andrew8404

Member:
    First Name:
    ANDREW
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
  18. Mar 29, 2012 at 6:13 PM
    tranceporter

Member:
    First Name:
    Rishi
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    The pioneer in my mustang also was a little slow connecting to the bluetooth on my phones.

19. Apr 6, 2012 at 4:31 AM
    CantSitStill

CantSitStill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    FTR
    CNY
    Not criticizing here but, is the dash deformed at the lower corners of the stereo bezel?

20. Apr 6, 2012 at 10:16 AM
    andrew8404

Member:
    First Name:
    ANDREW
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    I wouldn't say deformed but its not smooth like it should be. But that's no big deal they said I can come back and get a new faceplate when they come out with the 12s. Its not a perfect fit by any means but better then nothing.

Products Discussed in

To Top