1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Aftermarket Stereo worse then Stock stereo

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Codeyota, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Mar 28, 2012 at 6:45 PM
    Codeyota

Codeyota [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Flagstaff AZ- Grants Pass, OR
    Vehicle:
    03 dblCab TRD 4x4
    Here is my problem... I installed a Pioneer deck with two 6 1/2 inch speakers up front with two 6x9's in the back. If I turn this deck up the sound quality goes out the window! Sounds awful screeching, and scratching. This is what I have done so far trying to trouble shoot. I have checked all wires. I have tried putting in another deck in of the same model (No change in sound) Though my brother has the SAME exact setup in his Toyota pickup and he has no problems. I have tried using different speakers, nothing changes. And I have also put the stock deck back in and everything suddenly fixes and sounds much better. I have a 2003 Tacoma trd. I cant figure out this problem, maybe a stock amplifier some where I just dont know! Any idea would be great!

2. Mar 28, 2012 at 6:56 PM
    berg2065

berg2065 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    11 reg cab 4x4
    5100's set at .85,eibachs, LR uca's, toytec 1.5" aal, ride rite bags, receiver hitch, ARE cap with bedrug, Thule rack, wet-okole cover, ultragauge, kenwood dnx5180 navi/receiver, ss rubi404 running factory doors and JL8
    you mention that everything is ok when you put stock deck back in. (are you using stock deck with aftermarket speakers?) If you are using a wiring harness spliced to the pioneer to plug into the factory connections, I would recheck that everything on the aftermarket harness is connected correctly.

Hope this helps

Another thought....maybe you can borrow your brother's headunit to try in your truck to see if problem is still present

3. Mar 28, 2012 at 10:51 PM
    ffirg

ffirg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5 TRD 4X4
    $$$
    X2. make sure you didn't cross any wires when connecting the wiring harness. If you crossed a + and - wire it will cause a "tinney" sound to the speakers.

4. Mar 28, 2012 at 10:55 PM
    Twistedfreedom

Twistedfreedom welcome to the incredibuild

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    in progress
    modded the F*ck out
    do you have a stock JBL system? if so you're going to need to bypass the factory amp.

5. Mar 29, 2012 at 6:52 PM
    Codeyota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Vehicle:
    03 dblCab TRD 4x4
    @ Berg Yes I'm using a stock deck with aftermarket speakers... I also tried using my brothers head unit in my truck and it still makes the speakers sound like garbage. But while his setup (Granted its the SAME exact as mine) his sounds so much better! At first I had a quick wiring Harness from Scochee and it was sounding like crap so I cut the wires and wired it all up myself... No change in sound :s

@ TwistedFreedom I have the 03 TRD and It does not have the JBL system. Do you know if there are any factory amps in that model? I emailed toyota and they said they could not answer me since they are not specialized in electronics.. IDIOTS! haha

6. Mar 29, 2012 at 8:53 PM
    Twistedfreedom

Twistedfreedom welcome to the incredibuild

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    in progress
    modded the F*ck out
    I do not know...

7. Mar 29, 2012 at 11:10 PM
    sun

sun Well-Known Member

Member:
    Memphis
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner
    Pioneer avic-z130bt with axxess aswc and rear cam mod, audiovox 10 flip down monitor, Pyle pl76d headrest monitors, kicker cvr tens wired down to one ohm with hifonics Brutus 1200.1, Clazzio seat covers, 20% tint on front windows, polished factory exhaust, peragon retractable bed cover, pop n lock tailgate handle with dei actuators for automatic lock, viper 5901 alarm remote start with viper smart start, hid bixenon 4500k headlights with 4500k fog lights, led map license plate lights and dome lights
    Yea sonetimes there is an amp in there it is usually directly below the radio in Toyota trucks what ur Scosche harness one plug or two plugs? If its two it should be the standard sound if it's just one then u probably got amplified

8. Apr 4, 2012 at 6:14 AM
    Codeyota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Vehicle:
    03 dblCab TRD 4x4
    Sun, after tinkering around I figured that it could have been the Scosche harness itself. So I cut all the wires and matched them together myself. Well I was wrong haha it was not the harness... Do you have any idea of maybe what wires run that amp?

9. Apr 4, 2012 at 8:40 AM
    wrmathis

wrmathis Dark Lord of the Sith

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Bonaire, GA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    parts and stuff
    i dont thikn the first gens had any kind of amplified speakers

also, have u messed with any of the settings on the new deck? might just need a little bit of tuning to get a good sound

10. Apr 4, 2012 at 8:44 AM
    ZMan2k2

ZMan2k2 “Hold my beer and watch this!”

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    What I would do is use the factory harness to run power and ground, etc. to the deck, but wire the speakers separately. Run your own speaker wires to the doors for them. This would bypass any amp that may be in the system, and probably give you the sound you're looking for.

11. Apr 4, 2012 at 3:12 PM
    Codeyota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Vehicle:
    03 dblCab TRD 4x4
    Wrmathis I have messed around with the settings on my deck. It does help that is for sure by fading it to the back a bit. But still the problem persist and my brothers is way louder. Zman that sounds like a great idea, wont hurt to try. I'll give it a shot when I get some extra time on my hands! Thanks for the ideas guys! If running my own speaker wires to the deck works I'll let y'all know!

12. Apr 5, 2012 at 12:07 PM
    sun

sun Well-Known Member

Member:
    Memphis
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner
    Pioneer avic-z130bt with axxess aswc and rear cam mod, audiovox 10 flip down monitor, Pyle pl76d headrest monitors, kicker cvr tens wired down to one ohm with hifonics Brutus 1200.1, Clazzio seat covers, 20% tint on front windows, polished factory exhaust, peragon retractable bed cover, pop n lock tailgate handle with dei actuators for automatic lock, viper 5901 alarm remote start with viper smart start, hid bixenon 4500k headlights with 4500k fog lights, led map license plate lights and dome lights
    What's the part number on ur Scosche harness?

13. Apr 5, 2012 at 12:09 PM
    sun

sun Well-Known Member

Member:
    Memphis
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner
    And yea some first gen did come wit a factory amp they didn't advertise it though but it did my 02 tundra has an amp but not advertised I've seen em

14. Apr 5, 2012 at 12:09 PM
    tacoftw

tacoftw 5100s are the same price as spacers, seriously

Member:
    McDonough, GA
    Vehicle:
    05 Double Cab 4x4
    5100s, camburg arms, toytec AAL, 285s on m/t 17x9
    definitely double check the harness, and make sure theres a good ground too. some aftermarkets require you to ground it to a chassis contact and not just the harness

15. Apr 6, 2012 at 9:47 PM
    sun

sun Well-Known Member

Member:
    Memphis
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner
    Any pics of the radio cavity wiring etc etc

Products Discussed in

To Top