1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Steering wheel audio and bluetooth controls for new HU

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by idgara007, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Apr 2, 2012 at 10:48 AM
    idgara007

idgara007 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    tx/CA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport double cab
    I am looking to upgrade my whole sound system from speakers to a new head unit. However, I do love and use my steering wheel controls very much. To change tracks/volume as well as the bluetooth for handsfree cell phone use. I am very new to all things car audio, so I dont know very much. but I do know if I wanted to keep my audio controls, I would get an adapter like this:

http://www.pac-audio.com/Products.aspx?CategoryId=29

would this product also work with the bluetooth steering wheel controls? Or do I need something else for bluetooth? I understand that many different head units and receivers can use the adapter for steering controls, but do I need a certain HU/receiver for the bluetooth controls? I assume the new unit needs bluetooth hands free as well, right? Any other advice, recommendations or input is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much

Info: I have a 2009 sport DC (and I think I have JBL audio)

2. Apr 6, 2012 at 5:12 PM
    baldridp

baldridp Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Las Vegas, NV
    I'm replacing my factory JBL equipped head unit tomorrow with a Pioneer AVH-P2400BT. I'm also adding the Pioneer XM module (GEX-P920XM), the PAC TATO digital amplifier interface, the PAC SWI-PS (version 1.6.8), the shark-fin adapter to use the factory XM antenna, and lastly a DVD bypass ordered off of Ebay. My goal was to have an as seemless interface as I did with the factory system. I wanted to retain both my radio controls and the telephone controls on the wheel (the Pioneer with the PAC SWI-PS version 1.6.8 should permit this). I'm also going to fabricate a cable to tap into the factory rear-view camera and send it simultaneously to the mirror and the larger head-unit screen. I'm anal retentive and wanted a near perfect upgrade solution. I'm getting it installed tomorrow. I will post back with pictures and a review when it's all done.

Speaker upgrade to come later this summer.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Apr 6, 2012 at 6:28 PM
    Commanderwiggin

Commanderwiggin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    12 Tacoma D/C 4x4 TRD Sport 6MT Supercharged
    Get the aswc, quicker and utilizes handsfree buttons.

4. Apr 7, 2012 at 3:36 AM
    baldridp

baldridp Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Las Vegas, NV
    Since I needed to purchase the PAC TATO to interface with the JBL factory amp, I decided to go with the PAC SWI-PS to have better integration. Also, the latest version (1.6.8) of the SWI-PS takes advantage of the handsfree controls (only for Pioneer HU).

5. Apr 8, 2012 at 1:54 PM
    baldridp

baldridp Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Las Vegas, NV
    I finished with my install yesterday. Everything went as planned. I was able to incorporate the sharkfin adapter as planned and ended up putting the XM module in the right kick panel. The rats nest of wires and control modules (TATO and SWI-PS) make it a pain in the ass to stuff everything back in the dash but it's managable. I used the Scosche dash kit in gray. The fit is tight and just as nice as stock. I was able to retain full control of all of the steering wheel controls except for the voice recognition button (my head unit AVH-P2400 BT doesn't support it). Response time using the SWI-PS is quick. I haven't experience any delays, in fact the speed is just as fast as stock. I integrated the backup camera into the head-unit using the camera feed and reverse signal in the left kick panel. It works perfect with no pixelation, artifacts or lines in the display. I also installed a micro bypass for DVD use that I ordered off of Ebay for $10. It works perfect and is the size of a nickel (saves space behind head-unit). IPod integration is great too. Using the Apple white cord worked fine. All album info and cover art display on screen. I don't have any video on my Nano, so I wasn't able to confirm video playback or quality.

Overall I'm very happy with the decison to upgrade. Despite the 2400BT only having 2.0V preouts versus 4.0V on Pioneer's higher model numbers, the audio output is more than adaquate. Sound quality is much improved, now all I need to do is upgrade the speakers.

2012-04-08_16-47-23_605.jpg
    2012-04-08_16-48-32_309.jpg

6. Apr 28, 2012 at 12:24 PM
    acrossawire

acrossawire Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fresno, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB 4x4 Sport
    Icon Coilovers & AAL
    Just put a pioneer avh-p4400bh in my 2010DC w/ new speakers & alpine pdx-5 amp. My old system had the JBL package w/ volume, track & bluetooth steering wheel controls. I added the metra axxcess acsw steering wheel remote to retain steering wheel controls. Volume, track work fine, but none of the bluetooth buttons work. Tried remapping- nothing. As I recall, the blutooth controls on the JBL system ran on seperate wiring on a different harness (blue?). Any idea how to bypass the old harness to intergrate into the metra acsw?

7. Apr 29, 2012 at 4:17 AM
    baldridp

baldridp Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Las Vegas, NV
    You may have the same issue that I have with my SWI-PS. When I had the factory bluethooth controls and headunit, I was able to use the voice recognition and the on/off-hook buttons on the wheel. With the factory system, if I pressed off-hook it would re-dial the last number called.

With the new system and the SWI-PS I have to initiate the call on the head unit. While in the call I can change in-call volume with the steering wheel controls and when I'm ready to hang up, I just use the steering wheel botton to hang up. My head unit doesn't support the voice control, but I believe that yours does. Maybe a firmware upgrade is required? I would check the Pioneer website.

Try and place a call from the head unit and then see what functionality you have with the steering wheel buttons while connected. You may have the same limited capability that I have.

8. Apr 29, 2012 at 7:50 AM
    acrossawire

Member:
    Fresno, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB 4x4 Sport
    Icon Coilovers & AAL
    My issue is that there is no response from the on hook/ off hook buttons at all- even when I try to force program. The push to talk button automatically set to mute. I spoke with Metra tach support & they said firmware update would not help. Do you remember how you wired your unit? May help me with mine.

9. Apr 29, 2012 at 2:41 PM
    baldridp

baldridp Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Las Vegas, NV
    I have the PAC SWI-PS which plugged right into the PAC TATO harness. Someone with experience with the Axxess adapter will need to chime in to tell you how they did it.

10. Apr 29, 2012 at 9:21 PM
    DavidS

DavidS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD Sport
    I doubt if you made any mistakes with wiring. I had the exact same situation. The on/off hook buttons defaulted to seek up/down when the Metra Axxess ASWC self programs. Last night I was able to manually program the on/off hook buttons to work correctly. The instruction are in your Metra manual. They aren't too difficult, but you need to follow them precisely and to the end or it will not work. One strange thing I discovered with my AVH-4400 was that I needed to reverse the on and off hook buttons when I programmed them (#13 and #14). Just remember, when programing the AVH-4400 with Metra... on hook = right phone button showing phone hung up icon. off hook = left phone button with phone off the hook icon. I think Metra confused the meaning of the icons when they developed the unit, but you now have a work around. I hope it works out for you.

Oh and in my case, the PPT button is nothing more than a mute button because the AVH-4400 doesn't have voice recognition built in like our stock head units.

11. Apr 29, 2012 at 9:41 PM
    DavidS

DavidS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD Sport
    If your going full OCD with your upgrade, don't forget to make custom plugs so you can use the stock AUX/USB port on the dash.

12. Apr 30, 2012 at 8:45 AM
    acrossawire

Member:
    Fresno, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB 4x4 Sport
    Icon Coilovers & AAL
    Success! Thanks David. Worked on it for an hour this am & finally got it dialed in ;)

Products Discussed in

To Top