Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Installing 2012 stock radio in a pre-2012

Old 04-03-2012, 05:09 PM   #1
SoCal Tacomas
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Installing 2012 stock radio in a pre-2012

picked up another non entune radio....and after cutting stuff...here it is

JULY 2013

***Ok so I cut my surround a bit (yes I used a grinder becuz I couldn't find my dremel lol)

on my 2008:
I have no steering wheel controls nor bluetooth stock...so if you have either or both of those you will have to rewire them (09+ for sure will)
on a 2012:

you will have to rewire your steering wheel controls and bluetooth as well.

And by doing that this radio sits about 1/4 in deeper having enough clearance to be able to bolt it down without having the top slide off
That surround piece is a spare one I have...going to cut mine tomorrow

No gap up top

A super small gap at the bottom that I really don't care

Still a work in progress...need another harness and some other wiring to have this unit up at running 100%***

I dislike that the right (scroll) knob now changes the song that your cd/mp3 is playing to the next one if you accidentally bump into it

EDIT: also the a/c control panel sits out from the top slanted...its not flush...
ill probably make this radio blue and white once i see whats in there
Old 04-03-2012, 05:13 PM   #3
jaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjaw154 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jared
jaw154's Tacoma Gallery
Stinks it doesn't fit right, but it looks really nice
Old 04-03-2012, 05:16 PM   #4
SoCal Tacomas
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
making this the "original post with radio"
ORIGINAL:
so i picked up this radio from another member on here (andrew8404) to see what leds it requires for future swaps and to see how "flush" it sat because people wanted to see if they fit....here are the pics

Old 04-03-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
Driving a tacoma is a lifestyle
09tacorunner is a name known to all09tacorunner is a name known to all09tacorunner is a name known to all09tacorunner is a name known to all09tacorunner is a name known to all09tacorunner is a name known to all

Name: Jason
09tacorunner's Tacoma Gallery
how is the sound quality? is it plug and play?
Old 04-03-2012, 05:28 PM   #6
SoCal Tacomas

Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
the same (but i redid my entire system tho)...it literally is the same stock radio (inside) with a new face and display

see
Old 04-03-2012, 05:29 PM   #7
Driving a tacoma is a lifestyle
09tacorunner is a name known to all09tacorunner is a name known to all09tacorunner is a name known to all09tacorunner is a name known to all09tacorunner is a name known to all09tacorunner is a name known to all

Name: Jason
09tacorunner's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks!
Old 04-03-2012, 05:30 PM   #8
SoCal Tacomas

Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09tacorunner View Post
Thanks!
no prob ill post a night pic then open it up
Old 04-03-2012, 05:42 PM   #9
The1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peps
The1youluv2hate's Tacoma Gallery
Good to know
Old 04-03-2012, 06:15 PM   #10
SoCal Tacomas

Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
yup
Old 04-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #11
Bought Tacoma & signed up here as fast as I could!
BRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: El Conquistador
BRYLONATOR's Tacoma Gallery
I really think that radio should fit in there fine with just a slight mod. I think your center pin/clip isn't lining up correctly. May have to remove it
Old 04-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #12
SoCal Tacomas

Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRYLONATOR View Post
I really think that radio should fit in there fine with just a slight mod. I think your center pin/clip isn't lining up correctly. May have to remove it
i thought the same but, i looked over andrews 2012 and he has the kit thats suppose to go on our truck on his and it also pops out with the pre-12 kit on his truck...i should have taken a pic
Old 04-03-2012, 06:34 PM   #13
Bought Tacoma & signed up here as fast as I could!
BRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shedBRYLONATOR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: El Conquistador
BRYLONATOR's Tacoma Gallery
Can you just do a side by side comparison? Actually if you can get your hands on a really good pic of the back....should help enough with figuring it out.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:38 PM   #14
SoCal Tacomas

Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRYLONATOR View Post
Can you just do a side by side comparison? Actually if you can get your hands on a really good pic of the back....should help enough with figuring it out.
ill post a pic tomorrow
Old 04-04-2012, 01:15 PM   #15
mk7 is on a distinguished road
Name: Michael
mk7's Tacoma Gallery
Too bad it is not a direct fit. I wanted to get the JBL radio and install into my 2011.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:17 PM   #16
NRA Benefactor Member
LTE is a jewel in the roughLTE is a jewel in the roughLTE is a jewel in the rough

LTE's Tacoma Gallery
I know that can be aggervating. What if you were to take a 1/4 inch piece of black plastic and fill the gap?

That or a 20 lbs sledge should do it.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:50 PM   #17
SoCal Tacomas

Jerez's Tacoma Gallery

so as i first thought...toyota changed out the leds to smaller ones

(2012 left-2005-2011 right)
theyre half the size of the previous (05-11) models...
i doubt i will be swapping the leds in this radio at all...its already a pain to do it on the older 2nd gens...
Old 04-06-2012, 11:11 AM   #18
Angeloh163 is on a distinguished road
Name: Angelo
Angeloh163's Tacoma Gallery
Wanted this to work. I was thinking of trying it too.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:36 PM   #19
chrisshields11 is on a distinguished road
Name: chris
chrisshields11's Tacoma Gallery
new to the forum and would really like to upgrade my 2011 stock radio to the 2012 so i can actually read what is playing. have you made any new progress, Jerez? thanks for uploading all of the pics, they are helpful.

i wonder what a dealer would say if asked if a 2012 radio would fit into a 2011?
Old 04-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #20
SoCal Tacomas

Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisshields11 View Post
new to the forum and would really like to upgrade my 2011 stock radio to the 2012 so i can actually read what is playing. have you made any new progress, Jerez? thanks for uploading all of the pics, they are helpful.

i wonder what a dealer would say if asked if a 2012 radio would fit into a 2011?
well like i stated b4, youre going to have to buy the complete surround to make the new radio fit in your truck...(or custom make it to fit somehow)

i noticed that when a song is playing on the old radios, it only shows part of the name of the song playing...it does the same with the new radio despite it having a "bigger" screen