Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Stock head, all new speakers & amp.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:36 PM   #1
CantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FTR
CantSitStill's Tacoma Gallery
Stock head, all new speakers & amp.

I got asked to start a thread. Hopefully this helps someone out. I wanted to keep the stock head unit in my 2012 Double Cab, but get some much better sound. I'm 37y/o now, so I'm more into good sound than shaking windows. I also like subtle mods over everyone knowing what I did.
Stock head, all new speakers & amp.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1333668743.215279.jpg
This is what is going in. The sound processor will change. The Audio Control unit will not work with the 2012 for some reason. I have tried two of them, and spent hours on the phone with Crutchfield tech support and Audio Controls. No one can figure why it won't work. I have the JL Cleensweep on it's way. Hopefully seeing it Monday.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:45 PM   #2
CantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Stock head, all new speakers & amp.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1333669215.858584.jpg
Don't forget to take off the neg terminal.

Stock head, all new speakers & amp.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1333669270.518855.jpg
Rear seats out, amp will go behind passenger seat, Sound Ordnance powered sub behind the driver seat.

Stock head, all new speakers & amp.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1333669346.059129.jpg
A little more stripping to run wires and do some sound deadening.

Stock head, all new speakers & amp.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1333669420.245549.jpg
Front stripped. I wanted to add outlets to the interior but my time ran out.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:53 PM   #3

Stock head, all new speakers & amp.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1333669550.159819.jpg

Sent from Crutchfield. Might help some.

Stock head, all new speakers & amp.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1333669605.064776.jpg
Stock head, all new speakers & amp.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1333669632.239982.jpg
Stock head, all new speakers & amp.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1333669694.109533.jpg

Did some Dremel work to get the sub volume control in a switch blank.

Stock head, all new speakers & amp.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1333669752.448906.jpg
Found the stock speaker wires, opened the harness and got ready to extend the wires to the glovebox. This is where the line level converter will live.

Stock head, all new speakers & amp.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1333669850.453725.jpg

Color matched, soldered, shrink wrapped and color matched.

Stock head, all new speakers & amp.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1333669913.121076.jpg
Well, here WAS the install. This is what will be swapped for the JL unit. I wanted the EQ feature, but hopefully the JL unit will be as good or better.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:54 PM   #4
OneMentalCase has much to be proud ofOneMentalCase has much to be proud ofOneMentalCase has much to be proud ofOneMentalCase has much to be proud ofOneMentalCase has much to be proud ofOneMentalCase has much to be proud ofOneMentalCase has much to be proud ofOneMentalCase has much to be proud ofOneMentalCase has much to be proud of

OneMentalCase's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd

Thanks for the install thread....
Old 04-05-2012, 05:57 PM   #5

Stock head, all new speakers & amp.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1333670043.110728.jpg
Stock head, all new speakers & amp.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1333670071.041640.jpg
For the rears.
Stock head, all new speakers & amp.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1333670111.782605.jpg
Front

Stock head, all new speakers & amp.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1333670145.719986.jpg
That's a Lot of wires. A pretty tight fit. I actually had to use both the driver and passenger channels for 3 RCAs, four 14g speaker wire pairs, remote wire, sub control, and two power wires.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMentalCase View Post
Sub'd

Thanks for the install thread....
No problem!!! Hope it helps you.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #7

So, until Monday when my new line processor gets here, this is my source of tunes! HAH! It works though.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #8

Stock head, all new speakers & amp.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1333671736.801490.jpg
Oops, forgot the pic.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:25 PM   #9

That foam that you see around the head unit is what I have been using in the doors and panels. Sound Foam. I got a huge box of it about 12 years ago, and have used it in a bunch of installs and it works great.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:28 PM   #10
Policy Ninja
tango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shedtango down is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jeff
tango down's Tacoma Gallery
wow, great thread. i was going to ask last night if it was possible to add an amp to the factory h/u. I dont feel like having to lose my steering wheel control, or pay again to have them back after a h/u upgrade.

I didnt even think of the sound processor as being a way to add aftermarket stuff to the facto h.u.

well done.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:11 PM   #11

Thanks, I'll post up after the JL
unit gets installed. Hopefully it comes Monday and I get time that night. Hoping the signal is nice and clean. Don't want any noise other than the noises I want!
Old 04-05-2012, 09:40 PM   #12
Desert Snow is on a distinguished road

Name: Greg
Desert Snow's Tacoma Gallery
Did you look at the Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.3 or JBL MS-8 as alternatives to the Clean Sweep? Friend of a friend is a RF factory rep and he's high on the 3Sixty but would like a more "unbiased" perspective.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Snow View Post
Did you look at the Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.3 or JBL MS-8 as alternatives to the Clean Sweep? Friend of a friend is a RF factory rep and he's high on the 3Sixty but would like a more "unbiased" perspective.
Too much money for me to look at. Those are around $700-$800 each. The Audio Control unit was $240 and the JL is $300. I have about $1100 into this entire setup. I just didn't want to be building another $2000-$3000 system.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:24 AM   #14
Desert Snow is on a distinguished road

Name: Greg
Desert Snow's Tacoma Gallery
I hear you. Wife already has issues with the lift, wheels/tires. Will only do the RF unit if my contact gives a killer deal.

Let us know how the Clean Sweep sounds and integrates with the steering controls and bluetooth. You planning to use the volume control or just use the HU controls?
Old 04-06-2012, 11:54 AM   #15

I'm hoping to use the head unit since I already put the sub volume control in dash. Seems crazy- volume on head, volume for sub, volume for CleenSweep. We'll see how it goes.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:37 PM   #16

Stock head, all new speakers & amp.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1334017771.794022.jpg

So, it works! It's just jumped in right now, but it works! I was really concerned I was going to have to upgrade the head unit after the fiasco with the Audio Control unit.

Stock head, all new speakers & amp.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1334017899.659648.jpg

After reading the instructions for the JL Clernsweep, I decided to use their volume control for the best sound quality. This location seemed to be great for easy access and the LED is right there too.

I need to spend some time find tuning, but I am really impressed with the sound. I can get the volume higher than I am able to listen to without my head throbbing before distortion kicks in. Pretty much just what I was looking for. I think the Sound Ordnance 8" sub is going to be just fine after all the tuning is done.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #17

Sorry, iPhone issues. Lots of typos.
It's "Cleensweep" and "fine tuning"
Old 04-10-2012, 06:47 AM   #18
Tommy is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: Tom
Tommy's Tacoma Gallery
glad to hear the sound ordnance sub sounds good, I'm getting ready to install one today or tomarrow. I'm curious to see the settings on the sub that you come up with after tuning if you wouldn't mind.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:34 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
glad to hear the sound ordnance sub sounds good, I'm getting ready to install one today or tomarrow. I'm curious to see the settings on the sub that you come up with after tuning if you wouldn't mind.
Will do.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:27 AM   #20
Krewblink is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrewblink is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrewblink is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrewblink is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrewblink is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrewblink is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrewblink is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrewblink is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrewblink is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrewblink is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrewblink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Danny
Krewblink's Tacoma Gallery
Can u make a video of how the sound ordinance sub sounds like? I want to get one.. But.. Having second thoughts...