1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need Audio Advise

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by MrNotSwole21, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Apr 6, 2012 at 12:51 PM
    MrNotSwole21

MrNotSwole21 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Salina
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma prerunner
    Halo Headlights
    I am considering putting 3 10s in my Double cab. I Have a few questions that i need help with..
    1. is 3 10s too much?
    2.What 10s are the best?
    3.What amp should i use to power the subs?

Any advise will help. thanks

2. Apr 16, 2012 at 9:44 PM
    WIZKID

WIZKID Well-Known Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    1. in a truck, gl finding space for 3 subs.
    2. JL
    3. JL, hifi, alpine?

3. Apr 16, 2012 at 10:38 PM
    Highspeed

Highspeed Well-Known Member

Member:
    +42° 52' 21.69", -124° 32' 8.50"
    Vehicle:
    TRD off road
    A.R.E. cap
    The answers are endless. Yes, you can fit 3 tens but it won't be easy or cheap.
    Too much you ask... too much is just right. Chances are two tens will be more than enough.
    Best? again there are just as many good woofers as there are opinions. You're going to need to limit your search for woofers that work well in small enclosures.
    Lots of good amps, stick with a brand you know of.

If you're not going to install the gear yourself I recommend you find a local shop. Internet prices are great and all but if you can find a good local shop with a good installer it will be worth the extra 10-20%.

If you're doing this as cheap as you can you'll still find great sound and performance from entry level gear.

Call Mr. Marv. He gives solid advise and sells the best gear.

4. Apr 17, 2012 at 7:42 AM
    mattg43

mattg43 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 DC
    SwingCase, driver side. PVC Bike rack. Aftermarket stereo.

:rolleyes:

1. Yes, you can get 3 subs in there. Your limit is airspace, but there is at least one company making a 3 sub box for the truck.

Once again - AIRSPACE is the limiting factor.

2. Best brand - JL would be low on my list of "best", but my requirements may be different than yours.

They make a solid product, but anything below a W6 is a simple overhung, poly cone sub. nothing special in the least.

There are many other subs that meet or exceed the JL line up, either in price, performance, or both. There are also some other subs with better motor performance, from many companies. But JL is a well known brand, with solid resale, and good dealer support. There are trade offs with everything, you have to determine what works for you.

(again!)Your choices are limited by airspace, your own desires, ability to source the drivers, and budget.

Were I in your place and looking for LOUD, I would be leaning toward a pair of ported 10s, or sealed 12's that would fit in the space.

You need to move air. You can do this with throw (cone movement) or cone area. But you still have to fit in the area available, both in depth, and airspace.

3. Amp - I would get the one that meets the power requirements of the subs you choose, and fits into the space you have available. I would worry about this last - there are a lot of quality amps available.

I dont know if it came across, but AIRSPACE is a huge factor for subs getting low, and performing properly. If you choke three into a too-small box, you will be disappointed.

5. Apr 17, 2012 at 11:53 AM
    WIZKID

WIZKID Well-Known Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    Hahahaa if you think you can fit 3 subs behind the seat that will hit you're crazy. And I still didn't hear you name a brand of sub better than JL. They have the best rated sub in the world with the W7 and their shallow mount subs don't even compare to anything in the industry buddy.

Don't listen to this clown above me

6. Apr 17, 2012 at 2:03 PM
    mattg43

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 DC
    If we are talking about "fitting", there is already a company making a box for 3 10" subs behind the seats.

Its not hard to find, a quick google search will bring it up for you.

It has 1.95 ft^3, or ~.65 per sub, less displacement. With some careful selection, it is quite simple to find high quality subs to fit this requirement. And getting loud - thats a fairly simple task, even with limitations like those of this truck. 3 small box sealed subs wouldnt be my choice, but it will work. Air movement is air movement...

A better sub than JL...

What requirement? Lower distortion? Anything previously or currently made with an XBL or underhung motor design. Most with any shorting rings in the motor.

More excursion? With the exception of the W7 (which wont work in this install) nothing they make has outrageous excursion, and even the W7 can be matched, or beaten. Sure, the W6 has 17mm - but thats not all that amazing any more - $200 subs can beat that number... Move to something that will fit in this truck, and at best you are looking at 14mm linear from JL, which is average.

goes "deeper"? - A function of parameters, box, and air movement. A red herring without discussion of goals/desires/box.

Louder? function of box, vehicle, power, and tuning.

Care to define your inquiry with an actual question, or are generic marketing items, and sales pitches from the local audio shop all you have?

No one is debating they make a solid product. The best? ;)

That's cute. You have no idea what you are talking about, do you?

Anywho, sorry for the thread derail OP. Just for the record, I dont sell any gear, never have (except for personal stuff). I dont really care what you go with, as long as you are happy. Make an informed decision, and I can guarantee you will do better than just buying one brand because a kid on the interwebz with a hard-on says JL is the best.

You may find their products work for you in your application. Lots of people enjoy their JL products, myself included. You may find much better for the box and goals.

Where I looking for a solid sub for the box available, with a good record, a hell of a good guy behind it, etc - the Sundown SD-2 looks good, and should be nice and loud.

The older JBL GTO subs are fantastic, but no longer made, and hard to find. Great small box subs.

The Alpine Type R is very hard to beat at street prices for its performance, and the new thin version looks fantastic in a small format. It works in smallish boxes, has great throw, and good dealer support. And with 2 cubic ft to play with, a pair ported would be a lot of fun.

7. Apr 17, 2012 at 2:33 PM
    Highspeed

Highspeed Well-Known Member

Member:
    +42° 52' 21.69", -124° 32' 8.50"
    Vehicle:
    TRD off road
    A.R.E. cap
    ^^^^^What he said^^^^^

I like your style mattg43. I used a JL 10W3v3 in my 4runner and was very disappointed. It had good output and never failed but it never sounded good enough for the money. I'm going to try a full Hybrid Audio Technologies system later this year.

8. Apr 17, 2012 at 5:27 PM
    WIZKID

WIZKID Well-Known Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    This guy makes audio a science project. By the way GTO is still made. http://uk.jbl.com/jbl-products-uk/brand_jbl/car_audio/jbl-car-series/gto-series.html

He's looking for opinions of personal use. YOU PROBABLY DONT EVEN HAVE SUBS.

Then you bring shallow apine type r 10s into the mix saying they're affordable and dealer friendly? You can't find a single one under $250 dollars from a credible site. Do you know what QUALITY subs you can get for half the price? You're a joke man. You don't know jack about audio. Go write your book report and get off tacoma world.

9. Apr 17, 2012 at 5:30 PM
    gsxrdoug

gsxrdoug 2009 X-Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Douglas
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2009 X-Runner
    Stock
    Holy crap 3? I have one 10 and its way more than enough, unless you are competing. Plus with 3 10's you have to find another place to put amps to push the power.

10. Apr 17, 2012 at 5:35 PM
    WIZKID

WIZKID Well-Known Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    thank you. someone smart.

11. Apr 17, 2012 at 8:42 PM
    mattg43

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 DC
    You dont read and comprehend well either, eh? Its cool, its a problem affecting much of the US.

Its OK, ill go slow.

I said "older GTO". What that means is a previous generation of the series, not the current generation. They have been in production for several years.

FWIW, you linked the UK site. They have a US site too, if you want to check there. ;)

Thats a good one, didnt expect the all caps "no subs" accusation.
    Not to worry, I have ran many a sub, many of which you have probably never heard of. And yes, I currently have the low end covered in my vehicle.

Lets see - The type R thin will work well in the air space available. It has more excursion (sure, its only 7% more), it has a new motor designed around a lot of scientific testing, and they provide you with full specs. It is also half the depth of the W3.

The regular type R is about the same depth as the W3, cost less retail, can be found online for ~$125, and will get louder, and work as well, or better, in the same enclosure.

Alpine has a large dealer network, as does JL.

I hate to break it to you, but sometimes quality cost. And honestly, $250 isnt that much for a sub... Go ask the sales guy at your audio shop what a W3 cost these days. Dont bother with the TW, or W6 or 7 if $250 scares you off. (btw, check out the JBL GTI instead of the W7...)

And yes, I am aware of many low price, high performance drivers - for all aspects of car audio. OP did not list a budget. I provided the OP with a few options in various price ranges, that will meet or exceed what a JL sub will do in the enclosure and vehicle the OP is considering. (BTW, all options listed are available cheaper than the MSRP of the W3).

Your comeback for actual information is "go write a book report"? [​IMG][​IMG]

I am now more convinced that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Products Discussed in

To Top