Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Parking Brake Wire... Ground or Power Supply Side?

Old 04-06-2012, 04:27 PM   #1
DavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dave
DavidS's Tacoma Gallery
Parking Brake Wire... Ground or Power Supply Side?

I'm hooking up a HU which requires I tap a light green wire into the "power supply side" of the parking brake switch. Laying on my back looking up at the parking brake mechanism, I can see a single green/yellow wire coming out of the a plunger/switch. The plunger is on the passenger side of the parking brake. Is this the correct wire I need to tap into? The diagram that came with my HU shows the brake switch with one wire running into the switch from the power supply side and another running to ground. I can only see one wire, but it is very tight under there and can't be too sure. I don't know if the year is important, but my Tacoma is a 2012. I've had it for two weeks and the interior has been torn out for one. A full sound deading / sound system upgrade is underway and if I don't get it back together soon, my wife is going to kill me.

Incidentally, I've read about several ways to bipass the parking brake, but my HU is apparently quite difficult to defeat. It is a Pioneer AVH-4400BH and even if you use a relay (as I am) you still need to tap into the parking break wire.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:26 PM   #2
sun is a splendid one to beholdsun is a splendid one to beholdsun is a splendid one to beholdsun is a splendid one to beholdsun is a splendid one to beholdsun is a splendid one to beholdsun is a splendid one to behold
sun's Tacoma Gallery
If u bypass it u won't have to get the parking brake wire of the taco just run the lighter green (parking brake) of the pioneer to pin 30 of relay and on pin 85 and pin 87 run to ground and pin 86 run to remote wire (blue/white) of pioneer pin 87a middle of relay not used
Old 04-06-2012, 11:02 PM   #3
DavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavidS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DavidS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun View Post
If u bypass it u won't have to get the parking brake wire of the taco just run the lighter green (parking brake) of the pioneer to pin 30 of relay and on pin 85 and pin 87 run to ground and pin 86 run to remote wire (blue/white) of pioneer pin 87a middle of relay not used
Done and Done... I actually purchased a little relay build specifically for this purpose and didn't realize until now that I didn't need to tap into the parking brake wire anymore. Even if I didn't care about the bypass, this is an easier install.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AVH-PIONEER-...item1c23d0cec6

Now if I could just find where to tie into the reverse gear input signal. I guess it is the same thing as the tail lights whereever that is...
Old 04-07-2012, 11:55 AM   #4
DavidS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
I can see a single green/yellow wire coming out of the a plunger/switch. The plunger is on the passenger side of the parking brake. Is this the correct wire I need to tap into?
OK, I think I can answer my own question. I'm 95% sure the green/yellow wire is correct. In the 2012, there is a piece of loose tubing that covers the wire, but it slides up and down a bit. In order clip a splice onto the wire, it may be necessary to cut back some of the tubing, but it looks possible with some care and a small utility knife.

That said, I'd recommend using one of the $10 bypass relays available on ebay rather than taping into the parking brake wire.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:21 AM   #5
angle is on a distinguished road
angle's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun View Post
sorry,i have no idea .
Old 04-09-2012, 11:36 AM   #6
MGMTaco23 has a spectacular aura aboutMGMTaco23 has a spectacular aura about

MGMTaco23's Tacoma Gallery
That eBay bypass you mentioned, did you end up using that? I ordered the same one for my new HU. Worked just as they say and was extremely easy to install.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:09 PM   #7
DavidS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTaco23 View Post
That eBay bypass you mentioned, did you end up using that?.
That is the plan, but I'm still at the point of putting in raammat, ensolite and MLV. The truck is two weeks old and I have the interior completely out.