Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Former VW owner, new 07 Access cab owner with stereo question

Old 07-18-2007, 09:50 AM   #1
stockham@sunflower.com is on a distinguished road
stockham@sunflower.com's Tacoma Gallery
Former VW owner, new 07 Access cab owner with stereo question

Okay. One of the biggest mistake of my life was having a local audio store installed a Clarion radio into my 00 VW Golf. The car's computer diagnostics ran through the stereo and instead of using a wiring harness adapter, they just cut the wires and started crimping. ODB connector gone. Long story short, I didn't discover that for a year or so and it messed with the car's electrical enough to make the car exceedingly flaky.

So I got me a Taco.

Does the 07 standard stereo have any of that kind of interactivity with the ODB II port and computer control? Or is it just a separate electrical system?
Old 07-18-2007, 12:20 PM   #2
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
From what I understand it's separate from the OBDII system altogether.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:47 PM   #3
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by humanoid View Post
From what I understand it's separate from the OBDII system altogether.
It is completely separate, BUT that does not mean that you should cut and crimp. It is always better to buy a adapter to go to the original harness. This affords you the ability to change, change, change again, and then change back without damaging your vehicle.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:41 PM   #4
stockham@sunflower.com is on a distinguished road
stockham@sunflower.com's Tacoma Gallery
Music to my ears. Yes. Cut and crimp...bad. Kit, good. Thanks for the help. Gonna stick with the stock radio for a smidge though. New sticker shock and all that. Love the truck in the 1st 8 hours. 1st tailgaiting in the books!