1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

FYI - 2009 Tacoma VSS / Speed Sense Wire Location

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by gfisher99, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Dec 18, 2008 at 4:57 PM
    gfisher99

gfisher99 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    11 MGM TRD Sport DC
    In case anyone has tried connecting the VSS wire from an in-dash Nav in a 2009 Tacoma, the location of the wire appears to be in a different location than previous models.

I was successful in connecting to the Purple/White wire at Pin #5 on the only black plug on the front of the fuse box on the driver's side.

Simply remove the change pocket (like the glove box) and you will see the fuse box. There is only one black plug. I unplugged it and pulled it back thru another harness that was blocking good access to the wires. I also cut off the electrical tape they had wrapped around it. This gave me good room to work with, its pretty tight in there. It may be easier to remove the whole bottom panel, I just didnt want to figure out how to take it off.

Next, simply tap the only Purple/White wire in the plug, Pin #5.

I tried 4 times tapping the Purple/White at the ECU behind the glove box, but it didnt work. Thats where most of the threads here tell you to tap. As stated before, it seems like it may have changed from 2008 and older trucks.

Hope this helps someone..

2. Dec 18, 2008 at 5:29 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    good to know. i tried numerous wires behind the glove box as well and was going to attempt the fuse box one

3. Mar 12, 2009 at 6:31 PM
    DNahas

DNahas Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    09 DC 4x4 OR
    It helped me and the search worked!!

4. Aug 7, 2009 at 6:49 AM
    Juggy1337

Juggy1337 Member

Member:
    Detroit Metro Area
    Vehicle:
    2009 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
    No Mods... yet.
    All the connectors in that area are white in my 2009 Tacoma 4x4. Can you be more specific in which of the connectors it is? Or if possible, can you take a pic of it please?

5. Aug 7, 2009 at 9:24 AM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    there is definately only one black connector. IIRC, its the bottom left connector of the connectors on the fuse panel. it is very hard to get to as well. i had to remove some taping and pull the connector out in order to get a vap tap on it, then pop it back in and it works perfect.

6. Aug 7, 2009 at 9:37 AM
    Juggy1337

Juggy1337 Member

Member:
    Detroit Metro Area
    Vehicle:
    2009 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
    No Mods... yet.
    I will again. Thank you for confirming this. Would you happen to know when the backup camera signal is would you?

7. Aug 7, 2009 at 9:39 AM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    there is another thread about that on here somewhere in th A/V section. havent attempted that one yet

8. Aug 8, 2009 at 4:27 PM
    Juggy1337

Juggy1337 Member

Member:
    Detroit Metro Area
    Vehicle:
    2009 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
    No Mods... yet.
    We found the black connector and we tried to tap into the cable to get a VSS. The head unit didn't acknowledge that there was a signal, even though we drove 20mph in the parking lot for about 10 minutes.

Are you guys sure that is the correct wire? My NAV requires VSS to function, its not optional.

I tried to call the dealership where I got my truck but they didn't want to help me. I should have asked for this information prior to giving them my money ;)

9. Aug 8, 2009 at 7:24 PM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    that purple/white wire is definately the right one in the only black connector when u remove that tray. i went into the options of mine and after connecting that wire, the speed sensor kicks in while only driving ad not while sitting like i it were tapped off a tach line...did that once before. how are you tapping off that line?

10. Aug 10, 2009 at 7:01 AM
    Juggy1337

Juggy1337 Member

Member:
    Detroit Metro Area
    Vehicle:
    2009 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
    No Mods... yet.
    Thanks for the confirmation. We're using an electro-tap to get signal from VSS. I noticed also that I'm not getting a signal from the hand brake, and I'm not sure if its something I need or not.

In the setup manual for my deck it claims that the hand brake is a safety mechanism and that "...some functions will not operate unless connected..."

Bonus points, which is the handbrake lamp cable? I tried searching on this forum, failed.

11. Aug 10, 2009 at 7:35 AM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    depending on the unit,if the parking brake cable is not connected, it will not allow the dvd's to play or be able to put in addresses. i wired the parking brake cable from the HU straight to the ground in the harness so the HU always thinks the brake is on and allows me to watch dvd's while driving and enter addresses whenever. u might have failed on the search as we dont have a "handbrake":D

12. Aug 10, 2009 at 7:52 AM
    Juggy1337

Juggy1337 Member

Member:
    Detroit Metro Area
    Vehicle:
    2009 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
    No Mods... yet.
    I actually think now that we installed a toggle switch to have the ability to flip the "parking break signal", in case the cops pull me over (which happens a lot). I may just go with the grounding option.

This also makes me wonder if our electro-tap sucks, maybe I should strip the VSS and twist the pink wire onto it.

13. Aug 10, 2009 at 2:17 PM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    i used one of the simple tire taps that u stick the 2 wires in side by side and crimp them down. i call them vamp taps, but whatever they are, as long as the wires are in those dips and get crimped together, there shouldnt be a prob. the real issue is the space to work where that connector is located

14. Aug 15, 2009 at 7:49 PM
    Juggy1337

Juggy1337 Member

Member:
    Detroit Metro Area
    Vehicle:
    2009 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
    No Mods... yet.
    I accidentally ended up breaking the purple / white wire on the black connector, and hooked up the VSS cable to what appears to be the dome light cable (solid blue). I had to trick my head unit / deck by opening the door once, and it detected a "pulse".

Right now, I don't know what I'm going to do. The purple / white cable is severed and it so tight in there, I may not be able to fix it. If I take it to the dealer, they're probably going to charge me an arm and a leg to fix it, and possible void my warranty.

GPS seems to be working fine. I took it for a hour long drive, and it learned the area around my house pretty quickly. I hate that its 110% GHETTO, but for now I have a working GPS.

Is it possible that my purple / white wire never generated a pulse? When I had it hooked up to it, my head unit still didn't detect a pulse from it. Maybe there is a bigger problem with my truck.

15. Aug 16, 2009 at 9:33 AM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    they cant void a warranty for that, u'd just have to pay to fix it. what u did shouldnt have messed anything up. thats the wire i have tapped, so its definitely getting a pulse out. just keep in mind that the only time ur gonna get a pulse fromt hat purple/white wire is when the truck is in gear and driving down the road, not when sitting still

16. Aug 16, 2009 at 6:49 PM
    Juggy1337

Juggy1337 Member

Member:
    Detroit Metro Area
    Vehicle:
    2009 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
    No Mods... yet.
    Yes, I tested while driving. We were going over 25mph in the parking lot and on nearby roads. I think I'm going to talk to Toyota this week and get a quote for the fix and see if they can connect the VSS properly to my GPS.

I know the deck works, if the dome light fools the sensor ;)

17. May 14, 2010 at 3:34 PM
    Tom Cecc

Tom Cecc Active Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner TRD
    I tapped into the exact wire you mentioned. The next day my check engine and VSC lights went on. Didn't know what the cause was but when I went to Toyota they hooked up a scanner and told me the lights came on because of a problem with the speed sensor.

I took the bottom panel off and accessed the wire with no problems. Used the tap that clamps the wires running parallel to each other with what I thought was no problem. I don't why it's giving me an issue. I have a 2010 but I don't know if that matters.

Has anyone else used this same connection in a 2010?

18. Aug 25, 2010 at 11:33 AM
    gcancilla

gcancilla Active Member

Member:
    I have the 2010 and was thinking about attempting this. Did you ever figure out if it is the same wire on the 2010?

19. Aug 26, 2010 at 7:48 PM
    Tom Cecc

Tom Cecc Active Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner TRD
    It is the same wire.
    - Tom

20. Jan 16, 2011 at 7:33 AM
    cwsenn

cwsenn Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carroll
    Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    10 SR5 4x4
    Leer cap, Pop-n-Lock tailgate lock, Upgraded sound system JVC Nav system, Dealer installed rear springs. TRD Intake. Running Boards

Products Discussed in

To Top