1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sony XNV-770bt install project. Double Din. 2011 Double Cab.

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by dahwee, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Apr 25, 2012 at 12:10 PM
    dahwee

dahwee [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vance
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tacoma Off-Road
    Snugtop Rebel Topper
    Standing on the forefront of a great audio visual experience I have been collecting my parts for the last week or so and will begin my installation tomorrow. At the outset of this project my goal was to have an in dash GPS and iPhone compatability for under $500 installed. I have spent $475 so far.

I am a total newbie when it comes to car audio and video. If (and that's a big if) I pull this off anyone can.

What I've learned so far. MARKUP. Holy crap the markup on these wiring harnesses and adapters are outrageous. Amazon.com is your friend. Cartoys, Bestbuy, and the local car A/V specilaist all wanted $105 for the Metra Toyota/JBL wiring harness. I picked mine up for $35 on Amazon. Same for steering wheel control integration: Cartoys $90, Amazon $30; dash kit: Cartoys $50, Amazon $25; sattelite radio antenna: Radioshack $30, Amazon $11.

Labor for the installation is ~$200 for the double din, GPS antenna, and bluetooth mic. This is my big motivation for attempting the installation myself....and a few videos that are out there that make it seem pretty simple. In reflection I kind of feel like I'm being baited into an ambush.

Sony XNV-770bt
    Bluetooth microphone
    GPS antenna
    Sirius sattelite radio tuner
    Sattelite radio antenna
    iPod audio/video cable
    Scoche TA07SR
    Schoshe 010TA2053B dash kit

I'll be documenting the install project as I go along.

2. Apr 25, 2012 at 9:08 PM
    sun

sun Well-Known Member

Member:
    Memphis
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner
    Pioneer avic-z130bt with axxess aswc and rear cam mod, audiovox 10 flip down monitor, Pyle pl76d headrest monitors, kicker cvr tens wired down to one ohm with hifonics Brutus 1200.1, Clazzio seat covers, 20% tint on front windows, polished factory exhaust, peragon retractable bed cover, pop n lock tailgate handle with dei actuators for automatic lock, viper 5901 alarm remote start with viper smart start, hid bixenon 4500k headlights with 4500k fog lights, led map license plate lights and dome lights
    I don't mean to tell bad news or anything but did u happen to get the warranty on the Sony?? I've installed a couple of these and most of the, have failed. Usually with the gps navi not working there's a big forum about when I did some research for one of my customers. Good luck with ur install and yes there are plenty of install tips for tacos on here

3. Apr 26, 2012 at 12:55 PM
    dahwee

dahwee [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vance
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tacoma Off-Road
    Snugtop Rebel Topper
    I've seen some similar stories elsewhere about challenges with the Tom Tom unit. My fingers are crossed:cool: I found it second hand (from a Sony Sales Rep) at a smokin' price. He hooked it up to a power supply and demonstrated the navigation and satellite radio were working properly.

4. Apr 26, 2012 at 1:04 PM
    dahwee

dahwee [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vance
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tacoma Off-Road
    Snugtop Rebel Topper
    Status update.

I've removed the factory unit. (video demonstration) from someone else's adventure.

...and routed the GPS antenna. I've read that you can leave it under neath the dash on top of the head unit; however, I chose to use the magnet and install it on top of my roof. The actual TomTom unit is a bit buried underneath the shifting console. I don't plan on updating it often. The antenna wire runs under the drivers seat, up the driver rear door seam and out the weather seal and onto the roof.

I've also removed the airbag/hazard unit from the factory trim kit and installed it into my Scoche double din trim kit. This was harder than it sounds (a "pain in the ass" according to the above video). The factory trim/radio kit must be compeletely disassembled removing the control board (looks like the inside of your computer) from the face plate in order to access the last three screws of the airbag/hazard unit.

Now I patiently await my wiring harness which is scheduled to be delivered today.

5. Apr 27, 2012 at 10:02 AM
    dahwee

dahwee [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vance
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tacoma Off-Road
    Snugtop Rebel Topper
    Trying to stuff 10 lbs of sh!+ into a 5 lb bag. That's how I recall last night's installation.

Power. check.
    Radio. check.
    iPhone bluetooth audio. check.
    iPhone charging. check.
    iPhone video playback. negative.
    Navigation. check.

There is not an abundance of room behind the double din stereo and therefore I recommend remoting as many things into the stereo as possible. Example, right now I have Sirius radio tunner crammed above the radio inside the dash. This will be moving to the passenger side foot well.

After the installation last night my iPod video is not working:mad:. I suspect during the stuffing process the yellow video connection it became disconneted. I was worried about all my RCA connections during this step. When I take it apart tonight to move the Sirius tuner I will tape all of the RCA connectors.

The Nav works well. I have not connected the speed wire yet, but I will be looking for this behind the glove box this weekend.

I am now getting a buzzing sound during accelereation.

6. Apr 27, 2012 at 5:14 PM
    Sunburst

Sunburst Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    RC
    Headwaters of the Everglades
    Vehicle:
    Pyrite DC 4x4 Long Bed
    Revtek 3" lift, HID Headlights/Fogs, Tinted windows, Leather Seats, Weather Tech floor mats & Side Window deflectors, LED lights
    Enjoying your project install and trying to learn a little along the way, thanks for sharing..

7. Apr 30, 2012 at 10:01 AM
    dahwee

dahwee [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vance
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tacoma Off-Road
    Snugtop Rebel Topper
    I've been back under the dash a couple more times now. My next lesson to share is on the reinstallation sequence.

1. I readjusted the plastic support bracket (left and right) on the radio deck so they were flush with the front of the Sony head unit.

2. Install the trim kit ensuring that the plastic pieces lockon the left and right.

3. Install the black trim piece seating in all the way to the back of the dash kit.

4. Gently, and with a bit of finesse seperate the RCA connections (speakers) and the aftermarket wiring harness.

Note: From inside the stereo cavity you can touch the bottom of your dashboard. I used industrial velcro to attach my aftermarket radio wiring harness modual onto the "roof" of the dash in order to make more room. If I need to install ground loop bypass modules I will do the same.

5. Push the head unit into place until the plastic clips engage. If you find physical interfenence take your time, pull the stereo back out, and try again. Patience, patience, patience.

8. Apr 30, 2012 at 10:10 AM
    dahwee

dahwee [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vance
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tacoma Off-Road
    Snugtop Rebel Topper
    I have been experiencing the classic "alternator whine" in my system since the install :mad:. This is very frustrating. I must admit that in the initial installation I used wire nuts for all my connections.

I researched the "alternator whine" and was pretty sure that it had to do with my lazy man's approach to electrical connections. I went back in and swapped out all the wire nuts for insulated butt splices with heat shrink. It sure looks pretty :D, but absolutely no change in the noise :mad:.

I think my grounding is good since I'm essentially using the factory ground via the aftermarket wiring harness :confused:.

My next step is to do a rest of the Scosche wiring harness module.
    1. Turn off vehicle.
    2. Unplug the digital module power/data (yes the dash has to come apart).
    3. Wait ten minutes (do not open the doors).
    4. Reconnect the digital module.
    5. Start car (fingers crossed).

After the reset we will swap out the digital module....it that doesn't work we will install ground loop bypasses on the RCA speaker connections (front/rear).

Oh joy, isn't this fun.

9. Apr 30, 2012 at 10:48 AM
    Highspeed

Highspeed Well-Known Member

Member:
    +42° 52' 21.69", -124° 32' 8.50"
    Vehicle:
    TRD off road
    A.R.E. cap
    Tracking down noise is never fun. Several times in the past my noise was caused by the RCA cables being too close to noise generating stock electronics or wire harnesses. I recommend moving cables while listening for a change in the noise to see if you can find a link. Speaker cables can also be a problem in this regard. You'll be surprised how much less noise you might have by moving a cable 2 inches...
    Good luck with your search.

10. Apr 30, 2012 at 3:30 PM
    dahwee

dahwee [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vance
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tacoma Off-Road
    Snugtop Rebel Topper
    Thanks for the tips. I'm sitting outside the audio shop starting to troubleshoot. I'm starting with the Scosche module. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335824958.360316.jpg.

11. May 6, 2012 at 11:09 AM
    microwvbleturtle

microwvbleturtle Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Lehi
    Vehicle:
    '10 MGM DC and ‘16 QS T4R
    I picked the same in-dash on my last deployment and I'm still looking to get it shoved in there. On another note, are you by any chance in the Carson area?

12. May 7, 2012 at 1:05 PM
    dahwee

dahwee [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vance
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tacoma Off-Road
    Snugtop Rebel Topper
    I'm up in SW Denver. I'm still having excessive noise issues. I tried ground loop filters on the front and rear channel speakers with no improvement. Also...after a long road trip...I noticed that the sound is "bouncing" around inside fading left to right persistently with multiple input modes (tuner, bt audio, usb audio). :mad:

My steering wheel controls came in today so I will install those and then take it to an audio shop to trouble shoot it.

Products Discussed in

To Top