LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Taco System Upgrade Q

Old 12-27-2008, 01:02 AM   #1
Moose
MooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: USS John Paul Jones; Gas Turbine Technician Electrical 2nd Class (SW)
MooseTX82's Tacoma Gallery
Taco System Upgrade Q

So Im looking to upgrade my sound system on the Taco. I was thinking of getting a new Alpine head unit, an amp and probably just 1 10" sub. Do I need a cleansweep and should I really replace the other speakers?

Also the Subs for the DC can go behind the seat as well as under it?

Moose
Old 12-27-2008, 01:24 AM   #2
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Cleansweep.... dont know what that is. I've got an Alpine CDA-9886 HU and a 10" type-R sub in my access cab. im installing the s-type speakers tomorrow so i'll let you know how much of a difference i notice. Just installing the HU was a major improvement in sound. Im not sure about putting the sub under the rear seat in the DC taco but theres a bunch of people with them behind the back seat- thats where i'd put mine. Mr Marv makes some pretty nice looking sub boxes so check those out as well!
Old 12-27-2008, 08:21 AM   #3
itsmyturn is a name known to allitsmyturn is a name known to allitsmyturn is a name known to allitsmyturn is a name known to allitsmyturn is a name known to allitsmyturn is a name known to all

itsmyturn's Tacoma Gallery
cleansweep is a product made by jl audio. it is used for connecting amps to your factory head unit and defeats any eq/processing that your factory head unit applies to make cheap speakers sound good. if you plan on replacing your head unit then you will not need one. hope that helps
Old 12-27-2008, 08:31 AM   #4
Dealer/Sales Rep for Sundown Audio.
atsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really nice
atsaubrey's Tacoma Gallery
Agreed, you dont need the cleansweep. You will have to put a 10" sub behind the seat, there isnt enough room under the seat. Replacing the deck and adding a sub and leaving the factory speakers for the highend will be nothing but a disappointment for you. Replace the front speakers as well. Mr Marv is the Tacoma box builder guru, all his work is custom built to your subwoofer and your amplifier, contact him for you box needs.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:55 PM   #5
Moose
MooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMooseTX82 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: USS John Paul Jones; Gas Turbine Technician Electrical 2nd Class (SW)
MooseTX82's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmyturn View Post
cleansweep is a product made by jl audio. it is used for connecting amps to your factory head unit and defeats any eq/processing that your factory head unit applies to make cheap speakers sound good. if you plan on replacing your head unit then you will not need one. hope that helps
Yes it does help.

Quote:
Replacing the deck and adding a sub and leaving the factory speakers for the highend will be nothing but a disappointment for you. Replace the front speakers as well.
This also does help. I was thinking about replacing the front speakers with some good 6X9s.

Ill also look into the 10" sub box by Mr.Marv as well as the boxes on Tacotunes.com. Great feedback fellas. It helps a good deal. And when you replace those speakers Id like to know how that sounds.

Moose
Old 12-27-2008, 03:09 PM   #6
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
I noticed a HUGE difference when the head unit was replaced. The stock unit seemed like junk to me as far as hi-fi is concerned. Although, going the extra mile and replacing all the door speakers could hurt either. I've found for the money, MB Quart makes a hell of a speaker.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:23 PM   #7
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseTX82 View Post
Yes it does help.

This also does help. I was thinking about replacing the front speakers with some good 6X9s.

Ill also look into the 10" sub box by Mr.Marv as well as the boxes on Tacotunes.com. Great feedback fellas. It helps a good deal. And when you replace those speakers Id like to know how that sounds.

Moose
You might check out Tacotunes on ebay. They sell a box with an Image Dynamics sub for $200.

You'll laugh when you see the magnet on the stock speakers. I have a cleansweep, and yes it's for the stock stereo. I like it because it keeps the factory look. There are a lot of social parasites where I live so it tends to send prying eyes elsewhere when they see it's stock.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:08 AM   #9
07TACOTRDSPORT is on a distinguished road

07TACOTRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
I'm getting ready to add an amp and sub to my system too. Where did you guys bring the power cable though the firewall? I haven't looked real hard yet, but I bet I have to drill a hole? I just hate doing that.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:06 AM   #10
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Are the front speakers 6x8s stock?
from the pics i've seen, i think so. i did my rear speakers yesterday and need some hardware before i do the 6x9 fronts today. i'll let ya know for sure if someone else doesnt confirm before then.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:24 AM   #11
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Are the front speakers 6x8s stock?

Have an 08' Access Cab and up in the front are 6.5s (round) I was told by my audio installer that it wouldn't be no thing to put 6x9s up front for loudness but I declined. The 6.5 rounds put out much clearer sound then a 6x9 due to the fact that they are round and produce more of a natural sound wave. On the other hand i know many people who cant tell the difference. If you someone who goes for hi-fi, you should probably find a good 6.5, where as if you want sheer loudness, the 6x9 would be the way to go.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:01 PM   #12
itsmyturn is a name known to allitsmyturn is a name known to allitsmyturn is a name known to allitsmyturn is a name known to allitsmyturn is a name known to allitsmyturn is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC4333 View Post
Have an 08' Access Cab and up in the front are 6.5s (round) I was told by my audio installer that it wouldn't be no thing to put 6x9s up front for loudness but I declined. The 6.5 rounds put out much clearer sound then a 6x9 due to the fact that they are round and produce more of a natural sound wave. On the other hand i know many people who cant tell the difference. If you someone who goes for hi-fi, you should probably find a good 6.5, where as if you want sheer loudness, the 6x9 would be the way to go.
i was gonna go with 6.5 inch speakers up front also, but have since selected eclipse 6x9 components based on recommendations of mrmarv, since i don't know when i'll be adding a subwoofer. hopefully soon but i'll probraly never notice the difference listening to compressed music from my ipod.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:15 PM   #13
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07TACOTRDSPORT View Post
I'm getting ready to add an amp and sub to my system too. Where did you guys bring the power cable though the firewall? I haven't looked real hard yet, but I bet I have to drill a hole? I just hate doing that.
There's a hole through the firewall where the stock wiring goes through the firewall. You can see it under the hood by the driver's side.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:21 PM   #14
81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold
81shark's Tacoma Gallery
there is also a plug just behind the brake booster than you can use to run the wire in
Old 12-28-2008, 01:21 PM   #15
81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold
81shark's Tacoma Gallery
i'd replace the factory speakers as well, they are junk
Old 12-28-2008, 01:22 PM   #16
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmyturn View Post
i was gonna go with 6.5 inch speakers up front also, but have since selected eclipse 6x9 components based on recommendations of mrmarv, since i don't know when i'll be adding a subwoofer. hopefully soon but i'll probraly never notice the difference listening to compressed music from my ipod.
Nice choice. From what i understood the sub-woofer was the keep tipping point on the 6.5s vs. 6x9s. He recommended that i stay with the 6.5s if i was going to install a sub-woofer in the setup. Although this is granted you go the extra mile and buy high quality equipment all around.

Still have the stock speakers in this particular truck and haven decided which was to go yet. There sure isn't much room for a sub-woofer in my Access Cab without compromising a fair amount of storage space.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:53 PM   #17
07TACOTRDSPORT is on a distinguished road

07TACOTRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81shark View Post
there is also a plug just behind the brake booster than you can use to run the wire in
I can't believe I overlooked that. Perfect. Thanks.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:20 AM   #18
Major is on a distinguished road

Army: Major, 1st Infantry Division
Major's Tacoma Gallery
I am looking to only get better sound quality not volume. I have an 09 with the 6 disc (not JBL) and was considering just replacing the speakers and leaving the stock head unit. Any guess if this would make a difference in sound quality/clarity? Thanks
Old 12-30-2008, 09:28 AM   #19

general concensus is that even if you replace the stock speakers, you won't get the sound you're looking for. it's a limitation in the stock head unit.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:02 AM   #20
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
I am looking to only get better sound quality not volume. I have an 09 with the 6 disc (not JBL) and was considering just replacing the speakers and leaving the stock head unit. Any guess if this would make a difference in sound quality/clarity? Thanks

I would highly recommend replacing AT LEAST the stock head unit. I actually left the stock speakers in for the time being and just replaced the head unit with a quality Premier unit. The stock speakers wont put out much for bass no matter what you do to it, but I sure did notice a large increase in quality sound coming out of them.

-Just my 2 cents