1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Audio System Installed

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by jbrooks, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Dec 27, 2008 at 6:31 AM
    jbrooks

jbrooks [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner SR5
    I really hated the stereo in my new 2008 Access cab. I first replaced the stock single disc player with a Kenwood Head unit; Then added a Kenwood Powered Subwoofer.

I received Alpine speakers and infinity tweeters for Christmas and got everything put in yesterday. Wow! What a difference.

The factory speakers are really puny and look real cheap and flimsy.

The following links were very helpful with the installation.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/audio-video/3198-speaker-upgrade-basic-how-2nd-gen-access-cab.html

http://www.starmanage.com/installation/speakers/index.html

All my components were from Crutchfields except the powered Sub.

The rear speakers did not fit with the adapter. Cructhfield said they wouldn't but I had them send them with the adapters anyway. The tweeters stick up too high. I made my own mounting plate out of a 1/4 thick plastic cutting board.

The tweeters made a real difference. I really couldn't hear the factory ones.

I had to make mounting plates for the new tweeters. I use some thick plexiglass and use a hole saw on my drill to cut the hole. I mounted the tweeters using the flush mount adapter in the kit. I had to put the mounting plate on the backside of the factory mount since the tweeters stuck to far out past the flush mount.

A call to Crutchfield to confirm the wiring and everything was set. I cut the wires off the factory tweeters and everything was wired according to industry standards, black to black; red to red.

2. Dec 27, 2008 at 8:17 AM
    itsmyturn

itsmyturn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Victorville, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 dbl cab TRD sport
    afe Pro-Dry S dropin, Readylift leveling kit, TRD skid plate, Alpine CDA-9887, 6K D2S HID
    that's awesome. i'm also in the middle of upgrading my speakers and head unit. i got my front speakers off of mrmarv's recommendation. can't wait to get the mounts and a good head unit to see how they sound.

http://www.eclipse-web.com/us/component/sc6900.html

post some pics for everyone to see

3. Dec 27, 2008 at 8:26 AM
    jbrooks

jbrooks [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner SR5
    I should have took some pictures, but I got on such a roll I forgot to. I've got it all button down now. I hope I don't have to take it apart, but if I do, I'll take some pictures. I could easily draw some pictures how I made my rear mounts and the mounts for the tweeters.

Products Discussed in

To Top