1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Okay to mount 10" JL sub & Alpine Amp in driver side rear storage?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by BAP_29, May 28, 2012.

1. May 28, 2012 at 8:23 PM
    BAP_29

BAP_29 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner DC TRD Sport
    Bilstein 5100s at 2.5" and Toytec 1.5" AAL Eagle Alloy 063 Wheels on 285/60/18 Cooper Zeon LTZ tires Alpine iDA-X305 Head Unit MB Quart DKD 116 Discus-Line 6.5" Front Speakers (Baffles by Marv) Alpine 6-Disk CD Changer Toyota All-Weather Floor Mats Kobalt Low-Profile Toolbox 13" Wicked Flow Muffler w/ Chrome Tip
    I'm about to purchase a 10" JL sub and Alpine mono amp and I want to know what my best options are for mounting them. The sub is already enclosed in a small box that will fit behind the driver side rear storage area. The enclosure is small enough so that there still might be enough room for the amp to go above it. Is this an okay mounting spot for the amp? Or should I use the other side of the rear storage where I'll have more room to work with. I was hoping I could get by with just taking up the driver side rear storage.

Something like this except on the driver side with just one sub and the amp mounted above it:

jlsub_4a9668ce957928fd8800b6663eee7a45a0f0dd16.jpg
    *picture credit to WIZKID on the buy/sell page

2. May 29, 2012 at 8:57 PM
    CarverLB

CarverLB Who Dat?!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Long Beach, Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    2021 Trd Sport 4x4
    [​IMG]
    It sounds like a pretty good spot for the amp depending on how much room there is. If it gets too close there's a possibility the plastic may melt when the amp gets hot. Not sure that'll happen but it's something to think about. I have an amp for my mids under the driver's seat. It seems to stay cool there despite being under the seat and the amp I have for the subs is mounted as shown. I bought my box on Ebay and it had a place for the amp already. Mine are wired up but I took out the fuse. It doesn't sound very good with the stock head unit IMO. I'm waiting for the dash kit to come out for the '12s so I can put in my Alpine. I upgraded from a 2006 Prerunner Texas Edition.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. May 29, 2012 at 9:14 PM
    BAP_29

BAP_29 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner DC TRD Sport
    Bilstein 5100s at 2.5" and Toytec 1.5" AAL Eagle Alloy 063 Wheels on 285/60/18 Cooper Zeon LTZ tires Alpine iDA-X305 Head Unit MB Quart DKD 116 Discus-Line 6.5" Front Speakers (Baffles by Marv) Alpine 6-Disk CD Changer Toyota All-Weather Floor Mats Kobalt Low-Profile Toolbox 13" Wicked Flow Muffler w/ Chrome Tip
    Im picking the sub/amp up tomorrow but I wired everything up tonight. I decided to just put the amp under the driver seat. Hopefully it will fit and perform well under there.

4. May 29, 2012 at 9:24 PM
    YoungGunz23

YoungGunz23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Monroe Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road
    3" fabtech lift 33" federals
    It will man. Thats where i have my amp mounted, and its clean. No wires or anything anywhere. Hope this works out for you! Good Luck!:D

5. May 30, 2012 at 9:41 AM
    CarverLB

CarverLB Who Dat?!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Long Beach, Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    2021 Trd Sport 4x4
    Yeah it should work there. Like I said in my earlier post, I have my amp for my mids & highs under my driver's seat. It works perfectly there. You can't even see it. No wires or anything.

Products Discussed in

To Top