Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Where to buy single 12" sub box for 05+ double cab

Old 06-13-2012, 01:04 AM   #1
OoRrLlYy is on a distinguished road
OoRrLlYy's Tacoma Gallery
Where to buy single 12" sub box for 05+ double cab

Yes I've searched! Only came up with 10" options. Mounting depth of the sub I'm installing is 3.5" and need 0.6cu ft of air space. Also, if possible, I dont want to cut anything. Just point me to the right direction please and thank you!!
Old 06-13-2012, 02:48 AM   #2
CantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FTR
CantSitStill's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed for the sub!
Old 06-13-2012, 02:53 AM   #3
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
idk of a single. maybe custom?

i’m going to do 2 shallow mount 12”s and new head unit all at same time.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:21 AM   #4
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
3.5" mounting depth + 1/2" mdf for back of box and another 1/2" for front of box + 1/2" for the rim of the sub, and at least 1/2" extra for proper excursion room =
5.5" of total depth.

I have the JL stealth box which is loaded with 2 JL 10w1v2 which require a 4.3" mounting depth. Add the side of the box like I did with yours and you get about 6" of total depth. My box fits very snug behind my back seat and is mashed up against the cab wall.

Basically what I'm saying is that you should be able to get it behind the back seat, but when accounting for the larger diameter of the sub its going to be a tight fit. I highly recommend going to a reputable shop and negotiating a price for a custom Fab box. Trust me when I say this, you WILL NOT regret it ** ONLY if your tech knows what he's doing and can accurately calculate cubic airspace and port dimensions when designing the box!!!** If you find the right guy, it will be worth every penny. I would estimate $150 in parts and labor for a single 12" custom ported enclosure. But a good shop may be slightly higher.

Take your time, shop around, you will know when you find the right person.

EDIT: I may be able to have one made and shipped but I will need specifications of your sub. Price will obviously be higher for shipping, but should be worth it if you really want to do it right. No hard feelings if your in budget mode though, I think most of us out there are
Old 06-13-2012, 06:39 AM   #5
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
When you say you don't want to cut, are you referring to the truck, the box, or both? With the depth and airspace requirements you've given, one of the 10" boxes should work if you're willing to cut the box, or take it to someone who can cut the 10" hole to 12".
Old 06-13-2012, 09:53 AM   #6
hotrodbanshee is on a distinguished road
Name: Clayton
hotrodbanshee's Tacoma Gallery
What sub are you looking at using?
Quote:
Originally Posted by OoRrLlYy View Post
Yes I've searched! Only came up with 10" options. Mounting depth of the sub I'm installing is 3.5" and need 0.6cu ft of air space. Also, if possible, I dont want to cut anything. Just point me to the right direction please and thank you!!
Old 06-13-2012, 11:27 AM   #7
OoRrLlYy is on a distinguished road
OoRrLlYy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProForce View Post
3.5" mounting depth + 1/2" mdf for back of box and another 1/2" for front of box + 1/2" for the rim of the sub, and at least 1/2" extra for proper excursion room =
5.5" of total depth.

I have the JL stealth box which is loaded with 2 JL 10w1v2 which require a 4.3" mounting depth. Add the side of the box like I did with yours and you get about 6" of total depth. My box fits very snug behind my back seat and is mashed up against the cab wall.

Basically what I'm saying is that you should be able to get it behind the back seat, but when accounting for the larger diameter of the sub its going to be a tight fit. I highly recommend going to a reputabNle shop and negotiating a price for a custom Fab box. Trust me when I say this, you WILL NOT regret it ** ONLY if your tech knows what he's doing and can accurately calculate cubic airspace and port dimensions when designing the box!!!** If you find the right guy, it will be worth every penny. I would estimate $150 in parts and labor for a single 12" custom ported enclosure. But a good shop may be slightly higher.

Take your time, shop around, you will know when you find the right person.

EDIT: I may be able to have one made and shipped but I will need specifications of your sub. Price will obviously be higher for shipping, but should be worth it if you really want to do it right. No hard feelings if your in budget mode though, I think most of us out there are
Thanks for the info bro. I think It's kinda leaning more on the custom box size now that I keep reading about it. But yah to have you make a box and ship it out to Hawaii will probably be high price wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkin View Post
When you say you don't want to cut, are you referring to the truck, the box, or both? With the depth and airspace requirements you've given, one of the 10" boxes should work if you're willing to cut the box, or take it to someone who can cut the 10" hole to 12".
I want to stay away from cutting anything (box and truck) if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodbanshee View Post
What sub are you looking at using?
I was looking at Alpine's thin line Type-R....swr-t12
Old 06-13-2012, 12:26 PM   #8
hotrodbanshee is on a distinguished road
Name: Clayton
hotrodbanshee's Tacoma Gallery
Ya I was looking at the type r swallow or the polk mm1240 12"sub for my wifes double cab.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:08 PM   #9
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkin View Post
+1
This is actually a great idea. If you find a 10" box with the same mounting depth requirement and enough front surface area you could easily turn it into a 12" enclosure without compromising it at all. It would be your best and cheapest option I think.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:10 PM   #10
j753301 is on a distinguished road
j753301's Tacoma Gallery
I just picked up a Rockford punch p3 shallow mount 12" single sub box and it fits perfect behind the seat with the plastic taken out and sounds amazing!!
Old 06-20-2012, 05:16 PM   #11
Taqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennan
Taqoma's Tacoma Gallery
would this work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-SEALED-12-...ht_3507wt_1187

Box volume (net. int.): 0.59 cubic feet (per box)
Woofer cutout diameter: 11" round
Box weight: 11.5 lbs. (per box)
Dimensions (W x H x D): 16.75" x 14.75" x 8.25" x 4.5"
Old 06-21-2012, 11:45 PM   #12
koco is on a distinguished road

koco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqoma View Post
would this work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-SEALED-12-...ht_3507wt_1187

Box volume (net. int.): 0.59 cubic feet (per box)
Woofer cutout diameter: 11" round
Box weight: 11.5 lbs. (per box)
Dimensions (W x H x D): 16.75" x 14.75" x 8.25" x 4.5"
That box would probably fit pretty well behind the seat. I have one with a single 8" JL.