LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Where did you route your Ipod cable?

Old 06-13-2012, 09:44 AM   #1
zphly is on a distinguished road
zphly's Tacoma Gallery
Where did you route your Ipod cable?

I'll be getting a new aftermarket head unit shortly and I'm a little on the fence as to where I'd like to route the Ipod/accessory cable (i.e. to the center console, glove box, loose change cubby by the steering wheel... etc. ). Just wondering where you all have yours routed and if you have any advice. Pictures would be appreciated!
Old 06-13-2012, 09:49 AM   #3
HossNFross Per "Oz"
Haslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brady
Haslefre's Tacoma Gallery
Mine is in the glove box. Mainly so I don't sit there and look at it trying to change songs. Also, I leave my phone in their plugged in to my USB ports. Just run the blue tooth and avoid getting into wrecks or tickets for texting/driving!
Old 06-13-2012, 09:50 AM   #4
AZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shedAZBACKCOUNTRY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
AZBACKCOUNTRY's Tacoma Gallery
Up through the center console. I have a 6 speed. FYI. It's all the same , out of sight and pretty easy to get to.

AZ
Old 06-13-2012, 09:54 AM   #5
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Glove box, have the "trucks" ipod plugged in and left in the glove box all the time.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:57 AM   #6
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadderkdawg View Post
Glove box, have the "trucks" ipod plugged in and left in the glove box all the time.
This is what I need to do, I have an extra Ipod. I like having my calls and GPS from my phone come through the radio though. The GPS just interrupts the music when it needs to tell me to turn.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:58 AM   #7
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
glove box, and i control it through the headunit. I also have a regular headphone jack in the change holder to the right of the steering wheel for if i want to play from my laptop or a friend's non-ipod MP3.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:05 AM   #8
HossNFross Per "Oz"
Haslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
I actually have an additional hard drive in my glove box I run music/movies off of. The unit I got has 2 USB ports, and IPod port, and a headphone jack. I love being able to run as much stuff as I can... just wish it was more powerful of head unit.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #9
Um, I don't have a "member"
Cheehoo is on a distinguished road

Name: Angela
Cheehoo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haslefre View Post
I actually have an additional hard drive in my glove box I run music/movies off of. The unit I got has 2 USB ports, and IPod port, and a headphone jack. I love being able to run as much stuff as I can... just wish it was more powerful of head unit.
A hard drive as in, actual USB detachable hard drive? I didn't even think of trying that, good idea. My USB plug doesn't register my android phone as an mp3 device, it tries to open the files that I have on it, but won't play music.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #10
HossNFross Per "Oz"

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheehoo View Post
A hard drive as in, actual USB detachable hard drive? I didn't even think of trying that, good idea. My USB plug doesn't register my android phone as an mp3 device, it tries to open the files that I have on it, but won't play music.
Yes, actual USB detachable hard drive. 500gb hard drive that sits in the glove box with movies and music. Takes a bit to load up sometimes, but it works like a champ when started.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #11
El' Capi-Tan
resq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to behold

EMS: Giles Rescue
Name: Josh
resq330's Tacoma Gallery
Hmm...my aftermarket Kenwood wouldn't recognize my usb hard drive. Just my jump drive.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:40 AM   #12
HossNFross Per "Oz"

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by resq330 View Post
Hmm...my aftermarket Kenwood wouldn't recognize my usb hard drive. Just my jump drive.
Maybe not enough juice to spin the drive? May need to find a solid state (no spin) HD for it?
Old 06-13-2012, 12:15 PM   #13
El' Capi-Tan
resq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to beholdresq330 is a splendid one to behold

EMS: Giles Rescue
Name: Josh
resq330's Tacoma Gallery
Good thought. Thanks.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:12 PM   #14
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Maybe not enough juice to spin the drive? May need to find a solid state (no spin) HD for it?
It would probably load faster too.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:34 AM   #15
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
...or a shorter USB cable, sometimes a disk just needs a bit more power then a long cable can supply
Old 06-14-2012, 06:43 AM   #16
HossNFross Per "Oz"

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkin View Post
...or a shorter USB cable, sometimes a disk just needs a bit more power then a long cable can supply
According to the USB cabling, you can have up to a 5m long cable before it gets too slow. 3m is the prefered amount for USB 2.0. Now, USB 3.0 can actually only be 3m long as well, but it operates upwards of 5gb/s. I just wish I could upgrade my HU to run USB3.0 instead of the 2.0... but I might have to find a better way to power up the HU.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:21 AM   #17
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
According to the USB cabling, you can have up to a 5m long cable before it gets too slow. 3m is the prefered amount for USB 2.0. Now, USB 3.0 can actually only be 3m long as well, but it operates upwards of 5gb/s. I just wish I could upgrade my HU to run USB3.0 instead of the 2.0... but I might have to find a better way to power up the HU.
Not talking about cable length as it relates to data signals, but rather that the 5V 0.5A power line in the USB cable will lose amps as it gets longer. Shortening the cable keeps the amp loss down. I had this happen on an older Pioneer HU with a 3.5" 20GB disk. Disk would not spin up with 6' cable, but dropping down to a 2' allowed the disk to spin up.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:40 AM   #18
HossNFross Per "Oz"

Air Force:
I need to pull the HU back out to see what kind of cables mine are. I think mine are hardwired in though, which will be my problem to change them. But, they are only 4ft at the max? I really wish I could upgrade the whole thing to USB3.0, but that would take too much work.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:47 AM   #19
bjasper is a splendid one to beholdbjasper is a splendid one to beholdbjasper is a splendid one to beholdbjasper is a splendid one to beholdbjasper is a splendid one to beholdbjasper is a splendid one to beholdbjasper is a splendid one to behold

Name: Brian
bjasper's Tacoma Gallery
I love to show mine off, I drilled a hole above the dash scoope and ran the wire throught there. It's really easy to grab and go or change iPods.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:00 AM   #20
RI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to beholdRI Tacoma is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tim
RI Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Mine is in the compartment right next to the shifter. Its perfect to hold my iphone