1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

09 XM Radio Install

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by abnchief, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Jan 2, 2009 at 6:19 AM
    abnchief

abnchief [OP] Member

Member:
    Cat Back exhaust Cold Air Intake Tinted Windows
    Hey all,

I recently bought a 2009 Super White DC TRD Offroad. The invoice said I had a pre-wired XM radio so I just assumed that meant I had a XM radio.

WRONG! You still need the XM receiver installed. That just means Toyota installed the antenna and wired it to the left kick panel.

I asked the Toyota dealer how much it would cost to install it and they said $699.00. I decided to do this myself.

I bought the XM receiver from the parts department for $172.00. Once I got it, it was just the receiver no wires. I called the parts department again and they said I also need the "Fit Kit". The Fit Kit is the wiring harness that goes with it. They cost $100.00. You would think they would give all that to you at once but nope.

What is nice is they give you (as long as you ask for it) Complete detailed instructions on how to install it with graphics and photos. The receiver actually goes in the back behind the jack. The wires go across the vehicle and connect into the left kick panel. It took me about 1 1/2 hours to do this.

So... for about $300.00 I said $400.00 doing it myself.

It works great but I do have some complaints. The volume on the XM is lower than the regular radio and I don't like the fact that you can't see what song by artist and title is playing. The XM just tells you what channel you on.

Other than that, no probs.

2. Jan 2, 2009 at 6:35 AM
    Ticketdoctor

Ticketdoctor Senior Lettuce Washer

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Double TRD O.R. 4x4 Timberland Mica
    XM Radio Mod, TRD Skid Plate, Bed Mat, Weathertech, More to come.
    I had pretty much the same experience that you did.

Purchased at 09 Double Cab TRD O.R. that was pre-wired. The sales person did not know there ass from a hole in the wall and said it was XM ready. All you had to do was call XM and have the radio activated.

When I found out I needed the XM parts I immediately went home and ordered the parts. I just received both the XM and Fit Kit in the mail on Wednesday. I am planning to install it this weekend if it warms up a little.

Keep us posted if you find out anything about the song info.

3. Jan 3, 2009 at 2:10 PM
    Ticketdoctor

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    Just installed my XM this afternoon. It took me about 1.5 hours and I don't think I rushed it.

The worst part about the install was removing the interior finishing panels.

I would say this is very easy to complete. Not cutting or splicing, just plug it in and you are ready to go.

4. Jan 3, 2009 at 5:01 PM
    Soundwave

Soundwave Well-Known Member

Member:
    B.C. Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD sport Double Cab 4x4
    OEM Roof rack
    I will be getting my 09 Tacoma AccessCab any day now and I too was excited when I saw XM ready on the new 2009 changes specs, but that kinda blows that you have to install the actual receiver! Ford, Dodge, and GM all have Sirrius or XM ready stereos in there Full size trucks with a free 6 month trail subscription ready to go! If the Big Bottom feeder three can do that, Toyota should get on board. It not like these trucks are cheap!!! And no song or artist title on the display is piss poor IMO!

5. Jan 3, 2009 at 5:37 PM
    HighPlains

HighPlains Well-Known Member

Member:
    I did the same install you all did. Very easy, about 1.5 hours. You can get the song/artist info to appear if you push "Text" on the head unit. At least mine works that way. If I remember correctly, there are three different conditions. Channel number, channel name, now playing. Any of the three will stay up there until "Text" is depressed again.

Cheers.

6. Jan 3, 2009 at 6:53 PM
    abnchief

abnchief [OP] Member

Member:
    Cat Back exhaust Cold Air Intake Tinted Windows
    Hey ticketdoctor, good to hear you got the XM working! Highplains, I wasn't aware of the "text" button, I'll try it tomorrow, hopefully it works!! Soundwave, I agree, Toyota should have the WHOLE package but I guess since it's Toyota, they can afford to be greety.

7. Jan 3, 2009 at 7:24 PM
    Grover

Grover Active Member

Member:
    Findlay, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab
    Soundwave,
    Post when you get it done. I just got an 09 Access and would like to add XM.

Thanks - Grover

8. Feb 15, 2009 at 5:56 AM
    eguiney

eguiney Member

Member:
    Houston Tx
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner Double Cab
    Ticketdoctor
    I purchased my 09 yesterday. Knew the truck did not have the receiver only the antena but do not want to pay another $800 to have them install when I have install several but never a factory type. Where did you order your kit from - the dealer?
    Thanks

9. Feb 15, 2009 at 6:07 AM
    Ticketdoctor

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    I actually purshased my XM Kit from Don Jacobs Toyota

www.donjacobstoyota.com

Purchased late December '08.

PT546-35090 - Fit Kit X Sale Price $80.00
    86180-0W031 - 211M XM RECEIV Sale Price $159.20

Shipping to Ithaca NY $14.13

Total price $253.33

You can probably buy this stuff a little cheaper of you look around. This was the best price that I could find. I did not need anything else besides what I listed above.

The install is pretty easy. The hardest part is removing the trim pieces. All in all it took 90 minutes to install and that is with activation with XM.

10. Feb 15, 2009 at 6:51 AM
    AK27

AK27 Well-Known Member

Member:
    anyone hear if xm/sirius has decleared bankruptcy yet? i know they have been talking about it lately

11. Feb 16, 2009 at 7:11 AM
    Liam1234

Liam1234 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    09 DC, LB, TRD Sport, 4x4, Tow, Magnetic Grey
    Access Literider Tonneau Cover Auto Remote Start Nfab side steps
    THANKS for the info. guys. Great thread for newbie 09 owners.

Question:

Since XM/Sirrius merged can you get Howard on XM? Still waiting to see the fate of XM before I take the plunge.

12. Feb 16, 2009 at 7:15 AM
    Ticketdoctor

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
    You can get Howard on XM. It costs a couple more $$ a month, but you also get the NFL games along with a few other channels.

13. Feb 17, 2009 at 6:05 AM
    Ticketdoctor

Member:
    Ithaca, NY
    Vehicle:
  14. Feb 20, 2009 at 10:16 AM
    Tacoma-09

Tacoma-09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ft Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:
    09 Taco TRD Sport DC
    I just bought the following

PT546-35090 - Fit Kit XM - $ 75.00
    86180-0W031 - 211M XM RECEIVER - $150.00

I will have them next week. I will document the install and post it up here if that will help anyone?

15. Feb 27, 2009 at 1:52 PM
    Tacoma-09

Member:
    Ft Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:
    09 Taco TRD Sport DC
    The two boxes arrived today :)

No manual's though....... :confused: Does anyone here know where I can find installation instruction manuals for the fit kit / xm receiver combo ?

Edit: After a bit of searching I found the installation instructions here:

16. Feb 27, 2009 at 3:11 PM
    eguiney

eguiney Member

Member:
    Houston Tx
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner Double Cab
    I just finished the install myself. As others have said very easy. Took about 2 hours. The installation instructions help although I will say, the drawings are not that great, pictures would have been better. Took me a bit to realize that it was the jack side of that the radio installs on. Also took the advice and had extra ties as it does make for a better installation.

17. Feb 27, 2009 at 6:11 PM
    Tacoma-09

Member:
    Ft Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:
    09 Taco TRD Sport DC
    I just completed my XM Radio install. All in all it took about two hours to install. (It could have been quicker but I was taking pictures and taking my time)

1: I ordered the following Toyota Parts
    PT546-35090 - Fit Kit XM - $ 75.00
    86180-0W031 - 211M XM RECEIVER - $150.00
    I landed up paying $5.70 Shipping and $13.85 tax

Total outlay: $244.55! - Right time to install :) Here are the two boxes with the contents. The receiver is the one on the left.

[​IMG]

2: First things first you need to prepare the truck for the wiring. I removed the driver and drivers side passenger scuff plates The instructions told me to use a nylon made panel removal tool. As I did not have this - I simply used mt hands - it worked :)

Here is a picture of the floor plate and scuff plates removed. You only need to remove the floor plate in order to get the left driver side kick strip removed. There is a little nut that you will need to undo in order to remove it. This is done simply by hand. Nice and easy to do

[​IMG]

Here is the driver side scuff plate removed.
    [​IMG]

The next thing I had to remove was the rear auxiliary box pictured here. First remove the jack

[​IMG]

The instructions told me to use a Philips skrewdriver to remove what looked like skrews holding the auxiliary box .... After I got one removed I found out you are probably better off simply lifting it using a flat skrewdriver, as these are not skrews at all. Here is what they look like.

[​IMG]
    All you need to do to remove these lugs is to simply insera flat skrewdriver between the skrew and the round holder. Twist up on the skrew and the hole lug comes out. (If you use a philips skrewdriver - I can assure you - you will be skrewing around for years without getting the lug out)

Once the Aux box is taken out you truck will look a little bear - however this is where the fun starts.

[​IMG]

The XM unit will gow on the lower right of this picture. First things first - you need to prepare the receiver for installation.

[​IMG]

Fit the adheseve sheet pictured above left to the rear of the XM reciever like this

[​IMG]

Once that is done - I started to fit the two adheseve seals to the aux box intertior I assume this is neccisary as a shock absorbing type sytem (It hold it in place too)

[​IMG]

Here you see the two adhesive sticks in place. Your XM reciever will fit snugly in there.

Before fitting the XM unit - I cabled it up as shown in the picture below - along with the cushion tape

[​IMG]

I was now ready to fit my xm receiver into the back of the truck

[​IMG]

Next up I had to route the cables to the front of the truck using the route I had cleared by removing the scuff boards. There is no need to cut the carpet. Simply find the hole on the right hand side of the aux box and feed it through there.

I also found that the cable slotted really well into the factory brackets.

[​IMG]

I used quite a bit of the cushion adhesive to route the cable - it gets hidden completly underneath the aux box ridge. once you have finished doing that simply replace your aux box

[​IMG]

Route the cables all the way back to the front. Plug in the antenae and the earth. In order to plug in the tuner cable you need to undo the female plug - you will find it by looking for a white insolation tape acting as a rubber band holding it in place.

Once you plug that in - replace all your scuff boards and you are good to go!

[​IMG]

The install was pretty straight forward. I hope this little photo essay helps.

Here is my truck! :)
    [​IMG]

And one last one! :)

[​IMG]

BassAckwards likes this.
  18. Feb 27, 2009 at 6:40 PM
    eguiney

eguiney Member

Member:
    Houston Tx
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner Double Cab
    Thanks Tacoma. Wish I had had your pictures earlier today when I did mine, but still really not a big deal. Noticed one minor difference. The sketches in the installation manual would lead you to belive the tuner is mounted the other way with the label facing out and the antenea connection on the left although i doubt it matters.
    Also, can you supply details on your bed cover and running boards. I have the same truck (09 TRD Sport Double cab except mine is white) and am looking at getting both a cover and running boards. Thanks

19. Feb 27, 2009 at 7:23 PM
    Tacoma-09

Member:
    Ft Lauderdale, Florida
    Vehicle:
    09 Taco TRD Sport DC
    I don't think that the way it is put in would really matter. I got both my nerf boards and bed cover off ebay.

The Nerf board I paid $289.00 including shipping etc. You can see them here

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170293978285&viewitem=

My bed cover (I'm not 100% happy with) I got the one with snap on's - and while they work and when I had to phone the factory cos the seller had sent me the wrong instructions - they were extremely helpful and emailed be the correct instructions right away etc.. I don't like the fact that I simply cannot get all of the snap ons to work ... I will probably land up buying another cover in a year or so. Anyway here are the details

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270326955388&viewitem=

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  20. Aug 6, 2009 at 4:33 PM
    dannyd1972

dannyd1972 Active Member

Member:
    Nashville,TN
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 Magnetic Gray
    I see you added this xm tuner in march and I remember correctly (I've looked at so many posts the past few days) you now have an after market head unit, correct? If so, were you able to utilize the factory xm module when you upgraded or was a entirely new tuner required? I I have the factory and am about to upgrade and just don't wanna spend the money on a new one if I can help it. Thanks!

Products Discussed in

To Top