1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Decent amp setup for 2 mtx 12"?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by 06yfz450ridr, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Jul 1, 2012 at 1:38 PM
    06yfz450ridr

06yfz450ridr [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    CT
    HID's
    Hey guys just Ordered 2 12" mtx terminator subs with a box for cheap now i am in need of a cheap amp to push them. They are 400w rms 2 ohm stable 1200w max. Looking for a decent 2000w amp to push them that would be around or a hair higher rms power with 2 ch's. Anyone have any good amps for sale or no of a good one thats around 100? Ive been lOoking at boss audio. Ssl and planet audio they have good ones for cheap but the rms for the lower ends are @ 4 ohms? Will i notice much difference using 4ohms?:confused:

2. Sep 19, 2012 at 7:45 PM
    betsydestroyer

betsydestroyer You'll have to excuse me I'm not at my best

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Sault, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2012 access cab SR5
    Toyo MT, fox 2.o struts, dakars, Rear head-rest delete, pioneer avh 8400 ,fusion sub and polk components
    With subs it's best to run a mono block amp ! Jl and mtx both have nice amps
    Hope that helps

3. Sep 20, 2012 at 10:51 AM
    Hillingdoner

Hillingdoner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    95 LX xtracab 3.4L 4x4 5spd
    140 amp Cadillac alternator, Audio system in progress, 4Runner map light mirror conversion, foot well lamp addition, buckets and console from 99 Tacoma regular cab, big three, tint
    Maybe you could post up the exact model number of the subwoofers you are purchasing. That would help to see exactly what they are so the best suggestion can be made for you. Also, wiring suggestions can be made for you in the same go as we'll know if the woofers are 2 ohm EACH or 4 ohm.

Quick eBay search I did for "MTX Terminator 12" came up with loads of them listing the RMS per sub at 200 watts and 400 watts peak so will help to know exactly which models.

Ohm wiring wise really does not make a difference between 2 and 4 ohm if you match your amp to what you need. What I mean by that is if you have two 2 ohm subs and wire them for a 4 ohm load then you choose an amp that will supply the rms power you are looking for at that 4 ohm load. Alternatively, if the subs are 4 ohm and you wire them to 2 ohm load then you look for a 2 ohm stable amp that provides rms power that you need at 2 ohm. Make sense?

All about matching your amp to your subs or the other way around. In this instance you have the subs so it's the amp you are looking to match.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. Sep 21, 2012 at 12:24 PM
    06yfz450ridr

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    CT
    HID's
    I've had these for a little while now they are 200 rms 400 max running off of a Sony xplod 1400w 2 channel. They are running on seperate channels getting 220 rms I believe. I should have bought a mono amp instead. Once they are Bridged at the amp at 2 ohms they sound much cleaner and hit way harder with more power. Only thing is this amp doesn't support 2 ohms Bridged. They also make the amp run hot compared to my brothers alpine 12s on this sub. The box is non ported which is another downside but honestly there isn't a whole lot of room in the back to fit these already. But overall they are not to bad but could have made out better with a different box and subs

5. Sep 21, 2012 at 12:31 PM
    Hillingdoner

Hillingdoner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    95 LX xtracab 3.4L 4x4 5spd
    140 amp Cadillac alternator, Audio system in progress, 4Runner map light mirror conversion, foot well lamp addition, buckets and console from 99 Tacoma regular cab, big three, tint
    Dohhhhh!

Did not notice the original post date. Just was up fresh due to later reply post so jumped in to try and help. Glad it worked out for you.

Cheers

6. Sep 21, 2012 at 3:11 PM
    06yfz450ridr

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    CT
    HID's

Haha thanks. Yea someone also posted A couple days ago also.

Products Discussed in

To Top