1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DIY AUX Input in 05+ Stock Head Unit that overrides FM

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by pscrev20, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Mar 23, 2013 at 5:29 AM
    pscrev20

pscrev20 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Philip
    Shenandoah Valley of VA
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco Double Cab
    AUX jack in stock radio, overtakes FM.
    I had some surface mount one's laying around from old equipment that I used, The one's from RadioShack are in-line radial lead capacitors. Others have used them and they work good for this. Here's the link from RadioShacks website. You can get the part number (272-997) and take it to your local store and they can pull it for you.
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102479&clickid=prod_cs

2. Jan 29, 2014 at 6:53 AM
    saltdog

saltdog New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Saltdog
    Saskatoon SK
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    I did this mod to my truck stereo and now have a problem with the passenger side audio. When the stereo is cold, both speakers work fine. As soon as it has played music for 15-20minutes I loose all the low end & some of the volume on the passenger side. (with or without something plug into the new AUX port) Any helpful ideas? Did I cook one of the capacitors when I removed it from the board?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  3. Jan 30, 2014 at 1:26 PM
    pscrev20

pscrev20 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Philip
    Shenandoah Valley of VA
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco Double Cab
    AUX jack in stock radio, overtakes FM.

You may have. I would try replacing them with the ones I listed previously from Radio Shack. It may be a case of the Capacitor having a poor connection and as it heats up, expands. I recently had a similar issues with mine, but I would loose audio entirely from one side. Mine ended up being a poor solder joint (from some damage I did to the board during experimenting for this). I was able to re-solder and get it working again. In your case though, I would go with the easiest test first and that would be to replace the Caps.

4. Jun 10, 2014 at 9:28 PM
    Pabloeeto

Pabloeeto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    K&N filter, 3.5 Aux input mod, Fox 2.0 Coilovers, Fox 2.0 Resi Shocks, Element UCAs, Old Man Emu Dakar Leaf pack.
    Just did this mod and it works great!!!! I burned up one of the original Caps. So I ran to Radio Shack and grabbed 2 of the 2.2uf inline caps and all was well. I'm going to mount the jack on the blank plastic cover that hides the unused connector for the airbag override.
    I tried the mod where it piggy backs off the CD player but it didn't work out for me very well.

Thanks and Cheers!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  5. Jun 14, 2014 at 4:43 PM
    Pabloeeto

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    K&N filter, 3.5 Aux input mod, Fox 2.0 Coilovers, Fox 2.0 Resi Shocks, Element UCAs, Old Man Emu Dakar Leaf pack.
    Just mounted the 1/8th jack to the blank.

IMG_20140614_132622.jpg

6. Dec 27, 2014 at 7:45 PM
    klokdok

klokdok New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner
    I haven't completely studied the conversions on the FM circuits, but if the AM circuit was used would it not have the stereo feature?

7. Apr 19, 2016 at 9:48 AM
    FcoLucio

FcoLucio Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2007 Impulse Red Pearl
    so need help, just bought a tacoma about a month ago, was looking online how to add aux.. seen these thread here from couple of years ago, so tried well had a friend with more experience on soldering do these.. but he was lil rusty and believe he toast the board, not sure... dont hear anything from the fm/am only from cd... is there anything i can do to salvage it, or pretty much trashed....

8. Apr 19, 2016 at 10:03 AM
    Pabloeeto

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    Probably a bad connection, can you take a picture of the solder job?
    he might have burned up the stock caps.

9. Apr 19, 2016 at 10:36 AM
    FcoLucio

FcoLucio Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2007 Impulse Red Pearl
    will do, when get home.... my friend just gave up, and believed he toast the board.. so didn't even finish what we attempt to do at first... so even bummed out more... dont have allot of CD and well sucks with out at least hearing the radio station...

10. Apr 20, 2016 at 1:18 PM
    FcoLucio

FcoLucio Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2007 Impulse Red Pearl
    IMG_3691.jpg
    IMG_3710.jpg
    IMG_3690.jpg

11. Apr 20, 2016 at 2:16 PM
    Pabloeeto

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    Looks fried, if there's any metal left on the contacts it might be okay to solder the stock resistors back.

12. Apr 21, 2016 at 8:38 AM
    FcoLucio

FcoLucio Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2007 Impulse Red Pearl
    Yeah believe so, and no there is not... darn...
    one other question well before these attempt i bought a JBL and when tried swapping out inputs where not the same... any idea if theirs a hardens that will make it work...

13. Apr 21, 2016 at 1:44 PM
    Pabloeeto

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    Sorry not sure

14. Sep 16, 2017 at 4:38 PM
    samson12693

samson12693 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Samson
    Vehicle:
    2007 White Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 DC
    Bushwacker Fenders, Toyota Roof Rack, NFAB Rails... Next tires rims, 5100's springs.... in my lifetime Supercharger :)
    FYI - I just did this but I used both this post and http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/au...iy-aux-input-2005-2008-factory-head-unit.html to complete and it works great. The reason i had to use both i don't have the jbl or 6 disc. I have the single disc and i used the jbl link to find the RCH and LCH. Because there is nooooo wayyyy i am gonna try to solder to those little resistors/caps... Much Love to those with that skill.

SO the quick version: took the whole thing apart, however i think there is a better way after i found out where the LCH and RCH are located. The solder points are located on the cd portion of the unit. Once you are able to remove the cd player portion of the head unit and the single cable in my case, rch and lch are located together like the link above. It is on the opposite the side of the ribbion but the same side as the cable... close to the metal inside the case it can be clearly seen and the cd player portion doesn't need to be dissembled. I soldered the two wires in like 3 seconds each and put it back together tried it and it worked. It works with the cd where you have to put in the cd and then plug the cord into the device.

I had a cable with a male 3.5 on the end of it and cut the two RCAs off so i can just plug it in without having to find an add'l cable. I ran the wire up through the plastics on driver beside the console. works great.

Be careful if you fish the wire because i couldn't get the damn thing through the wire plugs hole for the hvac. After breaking the damn side plastic on the drivers side trying to fish the wire, i decided to run the wire behind the Head unit. Don't get in a rush because that is when you tear crap up 100.00 mistake because now i got to find the front console piece grrrr

If anyone has questions let me know i can do what i can to help.

Really should just buy a damn aftermarket head unit, but i am a cheap ass :)

Pabloeeto likes this.
  15. May 27, 2018 at 8:00 PM
    Tennessee YODA

Tennessee YODA Damn pigeons

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Knoxville tn
    Vehicle:
    2008 red tacoma pre runner
    Bull bar nilight light and light bar grill vision rims replacement grill aftermarket headlights
    I have a 2008 with no auxiliary . So if I upgrade to 2009 it will have an auxiliary and plug in and fit right ? Don’t wanna do a whole aftermarket head unit just yet ?

Products Discussed in

To Top